16

Hayley stayed with me and Lorenzo for about two weeks until she reluctantly left for home.

All these time, Lorenzo had been in his study or he'd come home late after Hayley was fast asleep.

He just needed an excuse to get away from me and I decided to keep my distance.

After all, it's just a contract and nothing can change it.

It's Sunday. A lazy one.

The whole day went in a flash and after dinner, I decided to get back to reading.

I sat on the bed while reading my novel when Lorenzo walks in, scolding somebody on the phone.

Lorenzo had gone out earlier since he had to meet with an important client so I didn't have to see him at least.

Out of anger, Lorenzo removes his coat jacket and throws it on the floor.

While he's still on the phone, I pick up his jacket and dust it off.

"What's the matter?" I asked him since he looked distressed and angry even after hanging up on the call.

"You! You are the problem! If you hadn't married me, I would've been a free bird!" He spat those words with so much venom and hatred that I could not only feel hurt but also felt the pain in his voice.

"I'm sorry, I was just asking out of concern" I said in a small voice.

I was beginning to get afraid of him and how he built up his walls around me.

"You sure as hell are. Did I ask you to show any concern towards me?" He said with spite laced in his voice.

I was beginning to feel pissed. Here I was maintaining a safe distance from him just like he asked me to and just because I asked him a harmless question, he's already spitting venom.

"You know what, screw this! I don't actually blame you! I blame myself for showing any sign of concern towards you. You're still the obnoxious self-centered selfish jerk you are and you'll continue to be. You think I don't know why you married me? I'm sure the company belongs to you now so why don't we file a divorce already? I just realised that you're not worth it and you're not worth my time and concern as well!" I said and stormed off angrily out of the bedroom not waiting for a reaction or a reply from him.

I stood outside the door for a few minutes, taking deep breaths and calming myself down before walking way down to the main hall where the living area is located.

I notice my mother-in-law sitting on the elegant couch while furiously typing away on her laptop.

"Mom? You're still working?" I asked in a quiet voice.

"Oh! Natalie, come and sit. I was just completing my presentation for tomorrow" She patted the seat next to her.

"Mom, you shouldn't work too hard. Let Lorenzo complete the work" I said out of concern, taking Lorenzo's name with no emotion.

"Oh, hon, you're worrying too much" She smiled while taking a sip of her green tea.

As we talked about this and that, a maid brought me my cup of peach tea.

"Your mom also reminded me that you love peach, lemon and wild berry tea so I made sure that our kitchen is stocked with these tea leaves" Mom explained.

"Mom, you're really jumping into every tiny detail but thank you very much" I grinned at the sight of my favorite peach tea.

"Natalie, I want to thank you" She said, all of a sudden.

"Why?" I asked since I hadn't done anything good or remarkable for her to be grateful about.

"For marrying Lorenzo" She said in a low but soft voice.

"Mom, it's nothing. I also married him with a will and a purpose to treat him as my life partner" I muttered.

"I'm so thankful that you married him. I know he's rude and arrogant outside but deep down he has a child's heart. Lorenzo has become ruthless ever since he entered the business world. It was all for good but my son has long forgotten about values in life. Please help him out" Mom requested me, her voice almost on the verge of breaking down.

"Mom, don't worry. I'll try my best to bring out the good in him. Even if he didn't mean any of the vows that he took at the altar, I promised and swore that I'd be the best version of myself to him" I remarked.

Mom pulls me into a warm hug before sending me off to sleep since it was already late.

I slowly walked up to the third floor of the house, yes, there are some five floors in the Maxfield Mansion and Lorenzo and I stayed on the third while all the others had their bedrooms on the first and second floors of the house. The fourth and fifth floors of the house had been reserved as guest rooms since the Maxfields always had guests or clients over their house.

I felt kind of nervous to meet Lorenzo again but, it's now or never, Natalie.

Slowly opening the door, I find Lorenzo sitting on the couch while blankly staring at the large TV screen in front.

Completely ignoring him, I freshen up before changing into my nightie.

Even after I walk out of the walk-in closet, I find Lorenzo's gaze fixed on the TV screen, looking like he was in deep thought.

I quietly grab a pillow and a blanket before walking over to where Lorenzo was seated.

"Can you please go to bed? It's late" I requested.

He didn't budge. Not a bit.

"Lorenzo, can you please move to the bed. I'm tired and I want to sleep" I requested again.

"Then sleep with me" Came his reply and I gave him a dumbfounded look.

"Excuse me?" I said, not wanting to know if I had heard him right.

"Sleep with me. I'm your husband and you're my wife. And a married couple is supposed to share a bed" Lorenzo said in a deep voice.

"I'm in no mood for games" I said in a cold tone.

"It's not like we haven't shared a bed before" Lorenzo smirked and I could feel blood rushing to my cheeks.

Lorenzo suddenly picks me up, bridal style and starts walking over to the bed.

"Put me down, Lorenzo" I said as calm as I could.

I didn't want to pour my anger on him.

Not when he's being such a sweet angel.

Oh, shut up, Natalie. Shut up.

Slowly placing me on one side of the bed, he walks over to the couch to grab my pillow.

I quickly stuff all the extra pillows at the centre of the bed, inorder to mark my territory.

"What're these for?" Lorenzo asked in a confused tone.

"I need my space" I mumbled before turning to my side and falling into a deep slumber before hearing a faint "I'm sorry".

I guess that was just my conscience.

But I wish it was you who said that, Lorenzo. I wish it was you.