30

It's been a few months since Lorenzo came back and we've been on good terms lately.

Today is the last class for the students' until their one month break and they come back to the University.

"Okay, I'll be assigning you to just one small project because I want you to enjoy your break" I mused as I displayed the project topic on the projector screen.

The students were grinning as a wave of "yes" passed from around the room.

After having done with my class, I go back to my office where my dearest friend, Kaitlyn sat on the couch waiting for me.

"Nat, what're you planning to do during the break?" Kaitlyn asked me.

"I don't know. You?" I reverted the question back to her.

"Um, so Nicholas asked me if I'd like to go to the Bahamas with him" Kaitlyn said, trying to conceal her excitement.

Okay, long story short, Kaitlyn, Nicholas and I were all classmates. But we all studied different majors and drifted apart. Now that Nicholas is back to look after his family company, a million dollar chemical plant, he has found interest in their family company's business partner's daughter, who happens to be Kaitlyn and things are getting heated up.

Besides Kaitlyn and me, we have two other best friends. We've been best friends since we were 17, 18. These two are also childrens of filthy rich people just like me and Kaitlyn and they own a chain of cafes, restaurants, resorts and five star hotels worth millions.

Trust me, people will say we're all spoilt but we're not. We know what we want and what we don't.

"Good for you" I smiled.

"Why don't you go somewhere with Lorenzo?" Kaitlyn suggested.

"We have so much work to do. I have to complete so much paperwork" I sighed.

Once I got home, I started completing all the pending paperwork needed for the company's latest project.

After spending three straight hours in the study, I get down to the kitchen to get a berry smoothie when Lorenzo comes back from work.

"It's impossible, how can I find a secretary in a week?" Lorenzo groaned as he plopped on the sofa.

"Fine, I'll figure something out" He sighed, ending the call.

"What's wrong?" I asked, serving him his evening cup of green tea.

"My secretary, Madison needs to take her husband to Toronto for an emergency brain surgery. So she wants me to search for a temporary secretary to assist me for the following three weeks" Lorenzo explained.

I sit back comfortably, slurping my smoothie from the bottle as I thought of a solution.

"I have an idea!" I lit up, startling Lorenzo who was looking so down.

"You scared me" He looked at me like I had grown a third eye on my forehead.

"Why don't I work as your temporary secretary?" I smiled.

"No. You've been looking forward to this break so much, I don't want to trouble you. Besides, can you work under someone?" Lorenzo jeered.

"First, I would have to spend this break alone while you worked. Secondly, I can surely work under someone, anyone as long as I'm treated well. I worked as Dad's assistant for five summer vacations. And third, do you even have time to interview candidates?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Uh- If you want to" He answered, unsure of what I was to say next.

"Why? You don't want me to help you out?" I asked to make sure of what he was thinking.

"No, it's just, what would people think? You, the daughter of rich people, wife of the CEO of Maxfield Industries working as a secretary" Lorenzo commented on my question.

"Enzo, when did you start caring about what people think? Don't you think our roles seems a bit reversed?" I chuckled.

"Who will look after your department while you work for me?" Lorenzo asked.

"Dad and I are handling things together. But while I'm away, my secretary along with his secretary will be enough to assist him. He has looked after the department for more than 30 years without me, 3 weeks will be nothing" I assure Lorenzo who is so worried my work might get eradicated while I'm away.

"Okay, fine. You can fill in as my secretary but don't complain and remember, once you're in, you can't back out" Lorenzo gave me a strict look.

"Yes, Mr. Maxfield" I slightly bowed my head before contacting his secretary to fill me in with all the ongoing projects, soon to be held meetings and other conferences.

After getting all the important information, I call up my Dad who readily agreed. He was happy that I was getting along with the man who I used to call a monster.

"We start work tomorrow. Might as well gear up" Lorenzo commented as I stacked files in the study.

"Don't worry, I'll try to adjust with you. By that, I mean my emotions, my eating schedules, everything" I assure him.

"You sure you're okay?" Lorenzo asked again, arms folded across his chest while leaning on my desk.

"Dude, trust me. I am much more tolerant when it comes to you" I scoffed, thinking about how I dealt with Lorenzo's bipolar nature these few months.

"Oh really?" Lorenzo raised an eyebrow at what I meant.

"Okay, Mr. Maxfield. You need sleep. I need sleep too. Tomorrow's gonna be a busy day" I pulled Lorenzo out of his daze, grabbing his hand and walking back to our room.

Once we were both done freshening up, we got under the covers, both of us on our own sides but sleep couldn't just take over.

"Nat?" Lorenzo turned to face me.

"Why'd you marry me?" He asked.

"Um, most probably because it was Grandpa's will" I bluntly answered.

"Do you know why I married you?" He asked again and I shake my head as no for an answer.

"Because I wanted the company. I did everything I could to have the company to myself. I believed that this marriage would be without any emotions, without any feelings. But..." Lorenzo trailed off and for some unknown reason, he looked guilty.

"Enzo..." I called him as I scooted closer to him.

"No matter what reasons we had inorder to agree with this marriage, well, here we are. I believe that God brought us together for a reason. Don't you think so?" I smiled but he didn't. He looked troubled.

"You think it's God's plan?" He completely caught me off guard.

"Yeah. Totally. And if we're supposed to continue according to His plan, trust me, I'm ready to risk it all to be with you" I whispered.

Lorenzo just stares into my eyes so I land a soft kiss on his lips before whispering goodnight and turning to my side.

God did bring us together for a reason. I firmly believe that because we could've met in any other type of situation but we ended up in an arranged marriage.

Both my parents and Lorenzo's parents had arranged marriages and now, we do too.

Carrying on the legacy? Checked.

Being everyone's favorite couple? Checked.

Falling in love? Not checked.