44

"Baby? You need to get up" Lorenzo's words woke me up.

"I talked to Mom on the phone about meeting Dad. And she told us to head to their place after the morning sermon" Lorenzo continued, sipping on his morning cup of coffee.

I yawn and stretch before sitting up on bed.

"I thought you'd want to miss the sermon, you always do" I looked over at him.

"Not this time" Lorenzo winked.

One thing about me and Lorenzo ever since we got married is that, we never miss the morning service in Church. I never missed any before getting married and Lorenzo's parents were more than glad to know I drag him to Church every Sunday.

"That's great. Let's get dressed then. For the first Sunday sermon that you willingly wanted to attend, I'm super excited" I laughed it off.

After a nice shower and having Lorenzo choose me a modest outfit, I had a hearty breakfast and soon, we were good to go.

The sermon was a very lively one and Lorenzo was quite attentive the whole time.

We head to Lorenzo's parents' place right after the sermon and well, Mom-in-law had everything set for lunch.

Lorenzo's elder sister, Evelyn and her husband were waiting for us in the backyard where there was barbecue waiting for us.

Lorenzo's sisters, brother and his niece and were all there which made the whole lunch much more fun.

Enzo seemed quite awkward with his own parents after falling out with them.

Am I to be blamed?

"Come and taste a sausage while it's warm" Mom urged.

I smiled and walked towards her before grabbing a paper plate and a fork.

"Hi, Dad" I flashed a smile at Dad who handed me a cup of fruit punch.

"Hayley has me hooked on this fruit punch" Dad laughed.

Taking a sip, I gave him an agreeable nod while Mom served me a sausage right out of the barbecue grill.

I turned to see Lorenzo picking up Hayley.

"He seems awkward" Dad looked at him.

"Don't worry, Dad. He'll come around. He's glad you asked him to return" I comforted Dad who seemed worried Lorenzo would never be the same.

Lorenzo came with Hayley scooped up in his arms.

"Aunt Nat! My birthday is coming soon. Will you come to my birthday party?" Hayley asked as excited as ever.

"Of course. Uncle Enzo and I'll be there for sure. What do you want for your birthday?" I caressed her cheek gently.

"I want a donut" Hayley said innocently making all of us laugh.

"Anything you want, baby" I answered.

"Lorenzo, I hope to see you at work tomorrow morning. The Norway clients are flying in tonight" Dad informed Lorenzo.

"Yes, Dad" Lorenzo said.

"And I'm sorry" He added.

"I'm sorry, son. I pray and hope that God blesses you with the best" Dad looked at him proudly.

"Everybody! Come get roasted chicken!" Mom called out and in no time, everyone was hovering over the roasted chicken which she had marinated with her special, secret sauce.

I must say, it was delicious.

"We sealed a contract with the Smith & Co. We're having a party. I expect you both to be there. Consider it as a 'Welcome Back" party" Dad informed and we both agreed.

"Aunt Nat!" Hayley came running towards me.

"Hey, baby" I replied with the same enthusiasm.

"I was wondering if I could stay over at yours and Uncle Enzo's place for summer break" She gave me a puppy face.

"Why, of course. But I heard that your Mamma is planning to take you to Paris for vacation while she finishes work" I reminded her.

"Oops" Hayley said with a tight smile.

"I don't wanna go. I wanna stay with the both of you" She wailed, her lower lip about to droop.

"Natalie, my kid ain't even my kid" Evelyn, Hayley's mother looked at me with the 'I'm-so-done-with-her' look.

"You can spend your vacation wherever you want to" Lorenzo intervened.

"But me and Uncle Enzo might have to go to work" I stoop down at Hayley's level.

"You'll be there at night. We can all have a sleep over party" Hayley said positively.

"That's upto you. You're always welcome to spend time with us. Besides, your mama will be giving you a little sibling soon. You'll have someone to play with in a few years time" I caressed her cheek.

Evelyn had informed that she was due in two months time, she had bloated feet, a big belly, none of her clothes fit and she said she had felt miserable during her whole pregnancy.

I wondered if I'd experience it too, okay, snap out of it, Natalie.

"Hayley can stay with us while you finish work in Paris but I recommend you let someone else handle your work while you take rest before delivery" Lorenzo suggested to his elder sister.

"Don't worry, my trip to Paris will be the last most probably for this year. I'll have to take care of the kid too" Evelyn assured.

We continued eating the barbecued chicken which tasted amazing until Lorenzo and I had to go home.

In the car-

"Enzo, why don't we organize Hayley's birthday party? It's next week already, that's 4 days away" I suggested.

"Why're you so adamant on that? That's Evelyn's job as her mother" Lorenzo said in a cold tone.

"Now what happened to you? Why so cold?" I turned to Lorenzo.

"Nothing, I'm just saying, would you be willing to do this much for our own kids?" He said in a low, monotonous tone.

"Enzo" I sighed.

"Of course, why not? My kids will get the best experiences. But with a limit" I continued and Lorenzo smiled.

"If I have kids" I added and Lorenzo's smile drooped immediately.

"You're not ready?" He asked, his gaze focused on the road.

"It's not that I'm not ready, I just want things to happen naturally" I said gently while giving his shoulder a light pat.

"Okay, Ma'am" He gave up before focusing on driving.

Was I too harsh on Lorenzo?

Should I have expressed my longing for kids?

I can't force my body nor Lorenzo to be able to produce children.

Children are God-gifted. Nobody should allow new lives to be forced to live or die.

What would you say about this?