27

Okay, Natalie, it's now or never.

Holding a tray filled with food, I knock on Lorenzo's study door.

He replies with a gruff "Come in".

He sounded really tired and I blame myself for it.

I slowly walk in and place his dinner on the table.

As soon as he notices my presence, his eyes grow a shade darker.

"Lorenzo, I-" I started.

"Don't. Don't say anything. I heard your answer loud and clear" Lorenzo stated.

"I didn't mean it like that. I was just scared that we'd get divorced by the end of the year and that I'll have to live without you" I squeaked.

"Didn't I tell you that I heard your answer loud and clear? Don't bother me and go to sleep" Lorenzo tries to shoo me away.

"No, Lorenzo. I'm still your wife and you're my husband. We will sort things out" I said in a bold tone.

"What more is there to sort? Didn't you make it clear that we're bound by a contract marriage?" Lorenzo hissed.

"Wasn't it you who came up with the contract? I was willing to marry you with or without the contract, with or without knowing you anyway" I reasoned.

"Natalie, nothing's gonna work anyway. You don't reciprocate your feelings making it easier for us to stick to the contract" Lorenzo growled.

I take a deep breath before starting to speak.

"Look, Lorenzo. I'm sorry for whatever I said. I shouldn't have come up with the adoption thing. I just didn't want to disappoint our grandparents" I apologized.

"You didn't say you like me though" Lorenzo frowned.

"Who wouldn't like you? I mean, look at you, tall, dark and handsome! Obviously every girl would fall for you!" I sighed and realised what I had just said.

"So you do like me, huh?" Lorenzo smirked as he got up from his chair and walked closer to me.

"I- You- Ugh" I stammered and took a few steps back until I fell on the love seat just in front of the window.

"Is it too hard for you to give us a chance?" He whispers and gently tucks a few strands of hair behind my ear.

"Enzo- I mean-" I stammered again.

"Did you just call me by my nickname?" Lorenzo chuckled because this was my first time to be calling him by his nickname.

"So you're not angry at me at all?" I look up at him.

"No, I just needed time to think but I'm all good to stick to the contract" Lorenzo's tone of speaking changes into a cold and bold tone.

"Wait-" I stop him and pull him back to sit.

"I just- Okay, lemme ask you first. Do you want to stick to the contract?" I ask him after taking a deep breath.

Please say no. Please.

"Obviously no" Lorenzo rolls his eyes.

"But if you want to, I'm okay" He adds.

"See, Enzo? You're not giving any effort to keep us together" I sigh.

"I don't want to if you're not comfortable with it" Lorenzo groans.

"Look, Enzo. I never imagined to get married based on a contract. And I never want to" I muttered.

"Does that mean that we're willing to start all over again?" Lorenzo asked in an unsure tone.

"Let's not rush into things. Y'know, step by step?" I suggest and Lorenzo agrees.