42

"Nat?" Lorenzo called, brushing strands of stray hair away from my face.

"Let's have breakfast. C'mon. Get up" He woke me up gently.

"Oh my gosh, I'm late for work!" I sprang up only to be pulled back by Lorenzo.

"We're taking today off" He said sternly.

There was no way I was defying what he said so I sit back in bed, devouring fruit salad.

"Emma, please take these donuts away" Lorenzo called Emma.

"Wait, I still have to eat them" I stopped her.

"Silly girl" Lorenzo shook his head at my childish antics.

"Oh, Enzo, is the smaller company being overlooked by Rose in your absence?" I inquire.

"Yeah, I told her I'll be there tomorrow to check things" He answered.

"Don't you think your Dad will take it away as well? Yknow, since you've resigned at the Maxfield Industries" I bombard another question.

"No, he won't. Because that's mine. I built it from scratch. And this house, the cars, everything has nothing to do with the Maxfield Industries. I've kept everything under my name so don't worry" Lorenzo assured me.

Actually, it didn't bother me that we might not have a house or that we might not have cars. Those can be bought again but Enzo resigning from his family's company was what kept bothering me.

Lorenzo had worked his whole life to become the CEO of his family's company. He earned the trust of not just his parents but also his grandparents yet he's risking everything for us.

"Mr. Maxfield, Mrs. Natalie, I believe some people are here to meet you" Emma informed discreetly before leaving.

Making sure we're both wearing appropriate clothes, we freshen up and get down to the living space.

"Mom?" Enzo called out to his mother who sat on the elegant sofa while holding a cup of her ginger tea.

"Mom? You're here too?" I divert my attention to my mother who sat beside my mother-in-law.

"Nat, Enzo" Mother-in-law looked at us with a huge smile.

As soon as Lorenzo and I take a seat, Mother-in-law begins, "Look, you have to come back to the company"

"Mom, I left it on my own. You can explain everything to Grandpa" Lorenzo looked at his mother.

"Lorenzo, everyone knows the company will go down if you're not there" Mom said with equal seriousness.

"Enzo? See?" I turned to look at Lorenzo while squeezing his hand tight.

"No, Nat. I was the one who came up with the marriage contract and screwed everything. Now if I'm given the chance to choose you or the company, you know what I'd choose" Lorenzo gave his final answer.

"Lorenzo James Maxfield, you are my first born son. The company belongs to you no matter what. If your Dad isn't willing to give it to you, I'm all down to selling my shares and leaving the Maxfield Industries" Mother-in-law states with so much authority.

With that being said, she walks out to her car and Lorenzo follows after her, leaving Mom and I.

Mom and I were stuck in a very awkward situation since yesterday night.

"Natalie, I- I'm sorry" Mom whispered.

"No, Mom, I'm sorry. I must've hurt you when I wasn't in the right mind to process things" I apologized too.

"It's just, your Dad and I love you too much to see you go back to such a painful relationship" Mom said.

"That's where your assumption went wrong, Mom. That's where you're wrong. Though Enzo and I signed up for a marriage contract, we became like any other husband and wife. We fell in love, we live very happily together. We do have our ups and our downs, our flaws and our weaknesses but we accept and appreciate each one of them because learning from them will make us better human beings" I spoke, more like babbled.

"Mom, I love him and he loves me too" I said, my voice getting smaller and smaller.

"I'm sorry, Nat. I just thought you were suffering" Mom started bawling before she gave me a reassuring hug.

"Mom, I'm sorry, I know I've disappointed Dad and there's nothing more I can do about it but I promise you, I'll do my best as a wife" I gave her a small smile before she walked out the front door.

It was only after both our mothers left that Lorenzo walked in.

"Natalie" He called, sitting on the sofa, rubbing his face in distress.

I slowly sit next to him, pulling one of his hand and gently squeezing it.

"I don't know what to do" He sighed.

"Enzo, going back as the CEO is what you have to do" I said in a determined tone.

"Nat, I don't wanna go back without you" Lorenzo looked at me.

"I come after the company okay? Your family and this company comes first, please don't forget" I gave him a sad smile.

I don't know where all of these is coming from but I just blurted out what I felt was right

"Natalie, how can you even say that? I told you before, and I'm telling you again, my priorities have changed, a whole lot" Lorenzo took my hands to his mouth to and kissed them.

I was left speechless, I didn't know what to say.

If Lorenzo doesn't go back, not only will the company go down but his relationship with his family will worsen.

But because he's too stubborn, he will never go back.

Oh God, is this my first test after confirming my feelings for him?