39

Lorenzo's POV
I'm in the middle of the board meeting when my phone rings.

Vinnie? Why is she calling me at this hour.

Natalie's cousin wouldn't call me until it was so important. Excusing myself I pick up the call.

"Hello?" I answered the call.

Vinnie speaks "Natalie is here. I'll give her the phone" before I hear some shuffling noises and then, there's dead silence.

I'm sure Natalie is on the other side of the line, probably dumbfounded and speechless trying to analyze the current situation.

"Nat?" I call her name and suddenly, I can hear her sobbing loudly.

It's as if she was just waiting for me to call her name inorder to break down.

"Don't cry, please" I pleaded desperately.

"You said you'd come and get me. Why didn't you come at all?" She sobbed on the phone.

It broke me to hear her crying on the phone asking me to get her. My eyes felt teary for a moment and I tried to calmly compose myself.

I can't break down. Not when Natalie needs me the most. I need to find the best solution to get her back, make her my lawful wife.

"I promise, I'll come get you. Let me figure something out before coming to get you okay?" I tried to comfort her.

I knew that she there was a lot that she wanted to say, so much she wanted to ask, so much she wanted to let me know but she couldn't. And I understood her well. I also had so many things to tell her about.

I missed hugging her to sleep every night, inhaling her sweet smelling shampoo while she drew circles on my chest, a routine for her before she'd fall asleep in my arms.

I missed feeling those luscious lips on my very own, our tongues fighting for dominance.

I missed having her match our outfits together, us arguing over silly things, not to forget Natalie's amazing baking skills.

I missed having someone who I could rant to about every irrelevant thing.

A few days away from Natalie and now I know I am, but a ruthless business monster without her.

"Mr. Maxfield. You need to get back to the meeting" My secretary reminded me, bringing me out of my trance.

"Nat, I- I love you. I really do. I have to go now, but I promise I'll come get you as soon as possible" I said and ended the call.

What more could I say?

I did love her but I didn't want to make my confession neither too exaggerated nor too plain.

I guess my confession was too irrelevant taking into consideration, the whole situation.

"Mr. Maxfield, the board members are waiting" My secretary reminded me once again.

I nod my head before walking in, my heart pounding furiously while I tried to calm my nerves.

"Good to see you all again" I greeted the board members, one of the seniors being my own Dad.

"Lorenzo, why'd you call for an emergency meeting all of a sudden? As far as we know, there's not any important decision to be taken, nor any crisis to be handled" One of the board members asked.

"Well, I have asked everyone to be present today since I'm planning to take a big step" I said and gulped.

My Dad's gonna be so pissed.

Enzo, you're doing this for Natalie.

Remember? Your wife, your most priceless possession.

I inhale sharply as everyone looks at me intently.

"I have decided to resign from my position as the CEO of Maxfield Industries and would like to give back the company to Mr. Maxfield Senior" I declared, referring to Dad.

Their facial expressions were worth watching. Everyone looked shocked, confused and Dad, well, he didn't just look shocked and confused but the whole 'You think you're going to get back your wife with this?' look.

"Lorenzo, we're all quite satisfied with having you as the CEO" One said.

"We can't agree on removing you from this post. The company is flourishing so much anyway" Another said.

"I'm sorry, but this is all I have to say. Thank you all for coming. It was wonderful to work with you" I slightly bowed before leaving.

I knew where I needed to go.

Getting into my car, I drive to Natalie's home with all sorts of possible outcomes running in my head.

"Yes, Mom?" I pick Mom's call.

"Lorenzo, come home this instant. You know you don't deserve her" Mom tried to stop me.

"Mom, I've obeyed each and every decision you took. You forced me to marry Natalie and now that I've accepted my fate, why are you stopping me?" I asked.

"Fine, I've always liked Natalie anyway. If she comes back, good for all of us. But if she doesn't, don't resent yourself for the rest of your life" Mom breathed heavily and hung up the call.

After reaching Natalie's parents' home, I ring the doorbell furiously and the housekeeper opens the door.

"Mr. Maxfield, you're not supposed to come here" She tried to stop me.

"Not today. I really need to see Natalie" I said, desperation furious in my tone.

"Mr. Maxfield, I've been strictly informed not to allow you in. Please leave" She said.

"You don't understand. My wife is in there. I need to get to her" I looked at her, dead in the eyes.

"Let him in" Natalie's mother said from behind and the housekeeper bows her head before making way for me to enter.

I slowly walk up to Natalie's bedroom, my heart pounding because I was afraid of her reaction.

Afraid that she would listen to her father.

Afraid that I would lose her forever.