38

Thanks to RoseHuntington23 for the lovely, eye catching story cover. And updating this short chapter for HlonyDlamini Love you lots 😚💗

Lorenzo's POV
"You're expected to be at work. Don't slack off as a CEO" Dad warned me as I ate breakfast.

After eating breakfast, I drive to work. I didn't greet anybody back as I walked to my office.

My buddy, Victor comes to me with some files in hand.

"Enzo? You seem lost in thought. Is something going on?" He inquires.

Since Victor and I are very close, I tell him everything that had happened and he couldn't do anything but feel pity on me and Natalie.

"Mr. Maxfield, Mr. Christopher Salvatore is here to see you" My secretary spoke through the intercom.

Chris? What's he doing here?

Victor went out to give us some privacy as Natalie's cousin, Chris and his wife, Juli sat in my office.

"Do you remember what I told you that night?" Chris raised an eyebrow and I nodded.

FLASHBACK
Hey, Lorenzo, let's head outside once. Y'know, a man to man talk" Chris said sounding serious.

I walk behind Chris, who led me to the front porch of the Salvatore Mansion.

"I'm sure you don't want this marriage" Chris looked straight into my eyes.

"True" I nodded.

"Neither does my sister. She has her own reasons for agreeing to this marriage" Chris explained.

I didn't want to hear any of that. I loathed his cousin sister who was betrothed to me.

"If you ever hurt my sister, or if she ever drops a single tear because of you and your actions, trust me, you're gonna have to deal with me" Chris warned.

"Fine. But don't expect her to have access to my real estate, my bank account or anything else. I'm not gonna provide her any of it" I also stated my conditions.

"You think she married you for what you have?" Chris chuckled, more like in a mocking manner.

"She's the daughter of a company which is at your level, she's not only an Economics Professor but also the Financial Director of her family company. You expect her to leech off your money?" Chris asked again.

I didn't say anything. Obviously I considered Natalie a rich brat since she dressed so exquisitely and always wore designer bags.

Wait, is it fine for me to judge her this way?

"Just know that if anything happens to her, I'll come for you" Chris gave me a last look before turning back to walk in and I followed suit.

END OF FLASHBACK

"Remember how I warned you?" Chris asked again.

"Just know that if anything happens to her, I'll come for you"

"You'll come for me if Natalie cries? Yes" I said.

"How seriously did you take it?" Chris questioned.

"A whole lot, trust me. Look, I- I fucked up. I fucked up what could've been the best possible outcome of my future" I gave up, my head buried in my hands as I looked at my shoes.

"Lorenzo, I'm Natalie's sister-in-law but we share a deeper bond. She's in distress, she can't even talk. Her cousin had to hook her up to an IV since she refused to eat and she's getting sickeningly weak" Juli said and continued.

"If you have feelings for her, let her know or let her go. She can't bear the pain nor can she withstand it anymore. She's at her worst and you can't even see her. What do you plan on doing?" Juli asked.

"I don't know" I choked.

I was going to break down again. For Natalie.

"You can't reach her. She's under house arrest. But you can try to convince both your father and hers. Me and Juli will try to help as much as possible but as long as we don't see any of your efforts, all our hardwork will just go down the drain" Chris explained.

They both stood up to leave when they gave me a hug.

It was the first time I was receiving love and support from people who I felt could be my own brother and sister.

They soon leave and I try to come up with different solutions but fail miserably.

Neither can I hire the best lawyers nor can I plead my father to stop the whole divorce process.

Drowning myself in work, I end up working until late at night and soon decide to go back home. Mine and Natalie's home actually.

The housekeeper and her husband greeted me but I didn't greet them back, instead I went to the study, trying to distract myself from accepting reality, because that was all I could do when my elder sister, Evelyn barged in.

"Enzo, what have you done?" She slammed her hands on the table, startling me but I kept my calm.

"What do you want?" I asked in the most business tone that could come out after my umpteenth breakdown.

"You mess up your marriage, then to relieve stress you drive a few companies to bankruptcy. How pathetic of you!" Evelyn scolded.

What could I do? I was so mad at everything, and without Natalie by my side, I couldn't focus on being the person I wanted to be and instead became the ruthless person I dreaded to become after meeting Natalie.

"They deserved it. They were more likely to get bankrupted soon enough" I stated.

"Enzo, this isn't the way to deal with business" Evelyn sighed, taking a seat opposite to my table.

"You really do love her huh?" She looked at me, expecting a sincere answer.

"I guess so" I looked down at my lap.

"Love seriously does make you do crazy things" Evelyn smiled.

"Evie, Dad will never listen to me. I'm helpless" I sighed.

"So what do you plan on doing?" Evelyn asked.

"I'll resign from my post. I don't want to be the CEO of a company, owning so much but having so little at the same time. I'm even ready to live my life as an ordinary man as long as I have Natalie. I would rather have her than the company" I stated.

"Glad you didn't resolve to drinking" Evelyn said before walking out the doors, knowing that she can't talk me out of this.

I scroll through my phone for news when my eyes catch a headline :
Rich People Things: Ruthless CEO and beauty rumored to divorce within a year of marriage

I wanted to throw my phone just on reading the title. How could they assume such things just because we're rich?

I knew what I had to do.

"Call for an emergency board meeting, first thing tomorrow morning" I said on the phone.

"Yes, Sir" My secretary answered before hanging up.

--------------------------------------------
What do you think Lorenzo is about to do? Comment your theories 🙃