6

"You?"

"What're you doing here?"

For a moment, I thought I got the wrong person.

"Wait, you guys know each other?" Karen and another girl asked at the same time.

By now, everyone went quiet and the atmosphere felt quite tensed up.

"Well, we did meet. He came to our University for a board meeting. I was with the Managing Director so he must've seen me" The lady who was rude to me quickly speak up.

"She was-" I  spoke up to tell everyone how I was treated.

"I'm Natalie Karina Salvatore" She extends my hand.

"Lorenzo James Maxfield" I shook her hand while giving her a suspicious look.

"Okay, you guys can have your space" another man in his early thirties said, sounding more suspicious.

"Don't worry, we won't disturb you. Anyway, a different room with separate dinner has been prepared for you so you can make your way to the first floor" another girl said.

The manager leads us to the first floor.

"This way" The manager led us.

When we get in the room, the door is closed from outside and we both settle down.

"What in the hell are you doing here? And why were you at the University?" I bombard questions at her.

"Woah, hold on. Let me explain myself" She said, trying to justify herself.

"Sure" I said, taking a deep breath while having a sip of the wine served to us.

After all, every person has the right to explain himself.

"Look, I'm an Economics Professor at the University and I had no idea about this wedding until now. Don't look at me like it's my fault" She said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"I don't know how we met, how we're getting married and why all these is happening but I want to set up a contract. We'll both have custody over different things but I want you to listen to my terms and conditions first" I said in a business tone because we seriously needed to come to a conclusion if we decide to live as a married couple in front of our parents.

Giving me a hurtful expression, Natalie quietly sits to listen to all my terms and conditions.

"First, you will not interfere in my personal life
Second, you can have your way when it comes to parties, affairs and boyfriends until and unless you cause any scandals
Third, we will be staying at my parents' place for maybe a month or so. Until then you have to, or I guess I have to bear the pain of sharing a room with you. Once we move into our new home, you'll have your own bedroom.
Fourth, we will get a divorce after a year. So basically, we both go our separate ways and live happily ever after" I state my conditions.

Another painful expression and she nods her head.

"Wait, what's in it for me?" She asked, unsure about everything I just said.

"You get your personal space. And you get to live your life like you did before" I  spoke in a cold tone.

Natalie's expressions showed that she was very much looking forward to this marriage, but I'm not taking any chances.

"Okay. I get it. But please don't act cold in front of the others. They are really happy with this and I can't disappoint them, especially in front of our grandparents" Natalie stuttered and I became very sure that she was somehow compelled into this marriage.

"Sure. Why not? I can at least agree to one of your condition. Here, sign this confidentiality contract" I said as I passed her a file.

"What for?" She asked, a wave of innocence showing on her minimum makeup face.

"Just in case you forget about our contract. This papers will remind you. And don't worry, I've already signed them. Only your signature is required now" I spoke, not a hint of emotion in my tone.

She takes the papers and goes through the terms and conditions though I already explained it to her, going through each and every line carefully before signing it.

After she is done signing, I take the papers and go through it while I feel her gaze upon me.

I knew I had to make myself clear inorder to continue with my normal life.

"Just because we're married, doesn't make us a real couple. Take it as a contract" I state in a business tone before leaving.

I return back to the main hall and blend in with the others. Mr. and Mrs. Maxfield were very much happy with me and at least, for my parents I'll have to act happy for a year with these strangers.

"Okay, everybody. Let's take a group photo to mark the first official meeting of the Salvatores and the Maxfields" Mom clapped her hands together to get everybody's attention and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

Sometimes Mom is as dramatic as ever.

Natalie and I was seated in the middle of the elegant sofa, our parents and grandparents on our sides and then our aunts, uncles, siblings and cousins stood behind.

One of the manager came in with a camera and clicked our photos.

"Mr. Maxfield. Miss Salvatore. Please sit closer" The manager requested and I'd be lying if say I was feeling quite good because I seriously wanted to head home.

After almost 15 minutes of sitting with the biggest pain in the ass, the photoshoot finally gets over.

"Enzo. She gets quite well with everyone. She'll surely becomes Grandma and Grandpa's favorite beating you" Evelyn, my elder sister teased me when Grandpa calls me.

"James. Come here, my boy" Grandpa called .

"What is it, Grandpa?" I asked.

"Drop Karina to her car" He said, somewhat, ordered.

"Yes" I mumbled before accompanying her out.

"Y'know... you don't have to do this. I have two legs. Of course, I can walk to my car by myself" She said, not wanting me to drop her off.

"I've already signed the contract where it clearly says that I'll show affection in front of our family members" I said, not a bit affected.

"Ugh, whatever" She mumbled before getting in the car.

After dropping her off, I too head home.

"So how was it?" Victor asked as soon as I picked his call.

"If you're not gonna talk about work related things, I'm hanging up" I groaned, tired from all the drama.

"Oh I know. You're going crazy over her. After all, she's a beauty" Victor chuckled.

I then remember her face. Just a touch of simple makeup and she looks so beautiful. Such big eyes, high cheekbones, plump lips and she wore a simple yet elegant dress.

Snap out of it, Lorenzo.

"I'm hanging up" I said before walking into the shower.

Is my life really going to take a huge turn?

Or am I going to continue like this?

I somehow feel sorry that I had to lay down such terms and conditions but if she didn't accept the marriage proposal, we wouldn't have to meet again under such circumstances.