35.

Malory's POV

   "You really shouldn't be participating in that sort of thing." Professor Snape mumbles.

              I look up from my oatmeal. "You're telling me you never partied?"

      He shakes his head. I guess I can believe it, I don't think I can imagine him taking shots in the Slytherin common room years ago.

         "Well in case you haven't been informed, it helps take your mind off of things."

                             "Temporarily." He adds.

      My eyes roll dramatically but I can't disagree. Yes, it's temporary. But if you do it often it feels longer.

       I finish up my breakfast and get up from the opposite side of Snape's desk. Now that Umbridge is gone, he is taking over Dark Arts. Finally, I'll actually be able to enjoy my favorite subject.

          "I like what you've done with the place." I say while walking around the room.

     Snape looks up from his parchment and gives me a blank stare. "I didn't change anything."

            "Really?" I ask, shocked. "Then it must feel different because Dolores is gone, the energy doesn't feel so negative."

       He tries not to smile but I still see a subtle smirk on his face. It makes me smile too.

                   "Have you met the new Potions master?" He asks me.

                    I shake my head. "Professor Slughorn, yes?"

      Snape nods. I've heard about him, he was a Slytherin. He also taught at the school years ago, when my father went to school here. I'd hate to hear what Slughorn has to say about him.

           "I hope you still plan on taking Potions this year," Snape tells me. "Maybe you can get your grade up and have all Outstandings in your classes."

       I rub my temples and groan. Potions is the only class that I have just an Exceeds Expectations grade in. Every other class? Beautiful (O)'s. You can see how that is frustrating.

          "I just don't want to stress over it." I explain. "I've already got a lot on my plate if you don't remember."

        There's a playfulness in my tone but he still gives me a sad look. I watch his eyes scan the bookshelf to his left as he gets up from his desk. His fingers trace the spines of every book until the one he's looking for appears.

         "Take Potions this year," He says while handing me the textbook. "There's a lot of notes in there that may help you get the grade you want."

       I stare down at the worn down Potions textbook, then eventually agree just to make him happy. Even though he's always wanted to be the Dark Arts professor, Potions will forever be his strongest subject. And it feels wrong for me to not have a perfect grade in it.

         "Your friends are taking Potions first thing this morning, if you want to do the same I suggest heading there now."

                           I raise an eyebrow. "My friends?"

            He nods. "Miss Black, Mr. Zabini, and...Mr. Malfoy I think as well."

        The way he says Draco's name creates a lot of questions but I don't have time to get them answered. Instead I just pick up my things and head towards the exit of his classroom.