62.

Song of the Chapter: Crossfire by Stephen

Draco's POV

     Once we found out about Regulus Black finding the real locket, the next step was finding out where it is now. If he died after taking it then it must still be hidden somewhere, right?

      Yeah, well that's what we thought. So we spent the next four hours completely destroying Grimmauld in hopes of possibly finding it. Of course we didn't, that would've been too easy.

      The final room that we happen to search is the same room that Potter and Weasley stayed in last summer.

           "Aary, your dad probably took it from Regulus." I huff. "Can't you think of anywhere he would hide it?"

       She crosses her arms and turns to me with an irritated expression. "No, I don't know. In case you've forgotten, I was the least favorite between Harry and I."

        As I'm digging through more drawers I notice Blaise in deep thought.

            "Do you actually think if Sirius knew where the horcrux was he would tell Harry over you?" Blaise asks Aary.

           She rolls her eyes. "Of course he would've. They were like The Hardy Boys, always trying to solve shit and felt the need to whisper. It was fucking pathetic."

                               "That Hardy Boys?" I ask, confused.

       Aary completely ignores me and goes back to searching through the room. I want to do the same but the only thing I can think about is-

                     "So Potter most likely knows then." Blaise points out.

        The four of us all stop moving and stare at each other in silence. I don't know why the thought never came to mind before, he was the one that had the replica. I guess it was just too simple, we looked right past it.

                 "Why do I feel like we're going to be doing this a lot?" I mumble.

                                  "Doing what a lot?"

          "This," I continue to talk quietly. "We'll search for a horcrux only to find out that Potter probably already has it, meaning we have to track him down. He's always going to be a step ahead, isn't he?"

        Malory runs her fingers through her hair and sighs quietly. Blaise sets down everything in his hands and starts heading out the door, but then turns back to us.

           "That might be how this is going to go, and that'll suck." He says. "But whatever it takes, right?"

        I wipe the aggravated look off of my face and glance at Malory across the room. She hasn't slept in ages, I can see the circles under her eyes increasing. Finding these horcruxes may destroy every other part of the world, but at least it means Malory's life won't be in danger. At the end of the day, I'll do anything to keep her safe.

                "Alright, then let's go find that git." I say while heading towards the door.

      The same moment when my foot steps out from the room, I start to feel the all too familiar burning sensation in my left arm. My first instinct is to look back at Mal, who is already gripping her arm.

                     "It's burning?" Aary asks in a panicking tone.

    The two of us nod.