54.

Trigger warning - Slight drug use & Self harm.

Song of the Chapter: Medicine by Daughter

Draco's POV

     It's been a few weeks since the first day back but things are exactly the same. When Mal showed up to class wasted that Monday I didn't expect it to become an everyday thing. I was wrong.

      We all have been getting drunk every weekend since year four, but during the week? She's lucky she's good at hiding it, for the most part. I know Snape knows, he just doesn't know how to handle it. I can't blame him, I don't either.

                 "Who's ready for me to check their potion?"

     Malory raises her hand high and waits patiently for Professor Slughorn to come over to our table. I lean closer and stare into her cauldron, confused. I'm not even halfway finished, how is she done?

                             "Alright, let's take a look."

     Professor Slughorn tests the Polyjuice Potion carefully, trying to find any error. But after observing each part, he's left speechless like always.

                 "It's perfect! You never fail to amaze me, Miss Roberts."

     Malory smiles and nods, then turns back to Aary, Blaise, and I, who are struggling.

                 "How do you do better even when plastered?" Blaise huffs.

      She shrugs, then opens her textbook back up and spins it towards us.

            "Five pints of water, not four," She starts. "Brew for one hour instead of 40 minutes."

      I stare down at Snape's handwriting, then back up at Mal. Her head is facing the floor as she digs through her bag quietly. At first I assume she's looking for a new quill or more parchment but then I see a small round pill in between her fingertips. Before I get a good look at it, she puts it in her mouth and uses her pumpkin juice to wash it down.

                       "What the fuck was that?!" I snap.

     She looks around the room as if I'm talking to someone else but I snap my fingers in front of her face aggressively.

                              "What's next, Heroin?"

       What I say grabs Blaise and Aary's attention, both of their heads shoot up.

                 "Why are we talking about Heroin?" Aary sighs.

    Malory laughs under her breath and I shoot her a glare.

                          "You're ridiculous." I mutter.

      I see her eyebrow raise in my peripheral vision as I continue to take notes from her textbook. I don't get to finish though because she takes it away.

             "Really?" I scoff. "You're not going to let me finish now?"

       She starts to answer but Aary interrupts.

          "Speaking of finish, how's the you know what going?"

       I rub my temples and sigh. "I'm going there after class."

                      "I'll come with." Mal says happily.

          Part of me just wants to tell her to find something else to do and let me handle it, but I know she won't take that answer. Plus, I do appreciate the help.