Chapter Thirty-Two: The Darkest of Nights

Nobody's POV

Marinette had fallen asleep in his arms and both were now snuggling under the covers of her bed.  Marinette was sitting on his lap as her head was buried into Adrien's chest.  He smiled as he heard her soft snores against him.  He was glad he finally managed to calm her down and got her to rest.

Adrien, however, could not sleep.  It had been a long day, but the day was all he could think about.  

His father bagged him, and then threatened him because he knew he was Chat Noir, and then on the tower today... on the tower today...

When Adrien had turned around to see Hawkmoth, all he could think about was keeping Marinette safe.  He hadn't even thought of the possibility that his father could have been Hawkmoth.  How could he not see it before? How?

On the building, he had told Adrien to join him to bring back his mother or there would be sevre consequences for him and Marinette.  I guess he had found out about Marinette-or Ladybug's identity in the process.  

Adrien felt divided.  He couldn't chose between his mother and the love of his life, but he couldn't choose to let his father keep hurting people.  Marinette had obviously hard the conversation too.  Although she was too tired and was still full of shock from the events that had just occurred.

Even Plagg was freaking out.  Well- Plagg wasn't freaking out he-he was angry.

For the first time Plagg didn't have selfish needs.  He seemed human.  He seemed to hurt and be in pain that Tikki was gone.  He was scared and he was mad at Adrien's father.  Even if he wouldn't tell Adrien to his face, he wasn't that good at hiding his emotions.  Don't blame the Kwami he usually says everything that comes to mind.

"Adrien... we need to talk..."

Adrien looked up at Plagg and back down at Marinette.  She was still sleeping in his chest.  Adrien nodded but gestured him to be quiet.  

Plagg continued shortly after.

"Tikki and I went into the miracle box and when we were in there...everything was- well it was like the magic had been tainted.  It was leaving- I-I don't know what was going on.  Tikki and I didn't want to tel, you because this is ancient sacred magic just like us and you humans- we didn't think you would be able to help."

"What!" Adrien whisper yelled.  "Why didn't you tell us sooner!"

"I couldn't!," Plagg said frantically, "Marinette had found out your identity, you found out hers, you STILL keep on fainting, AND now Marinette-Tikki is gone along with the Ladybug earrings!"

"W-what can we do to fix it... d-do you know, Plagg?" Marinette questioned.

Both Adrien and Plagg jumped.  She must have woken up when they were talking.

Adrien smiled and kissed the top of her head.  

"Feeling better Purrincess." He quipped.

She sighed before slowly getting up and climbed off her bed.  Adrien and Plagg hesitantly joined her.

"No... no I'm not okay, Adrien..."

Before the blonde could say anything she continued.

"I-I think I need to-"

She looked at him nervously.

"Well-its just a matter of time before-"

"What is it M'Lady?"

She looked at him for a second, before brushing a piece of hair out of her eyes.

"I need to take back my ownership of the box."

"WHAT!" Both boys said in unison.

"Yes."

 Marinette's tone had changed greatly in the last few seconds.  She had the same tone that Adrien recognized.  The same tone she would get as Ladybug and was devising a crazy plan that Chat Noir could not talk her out of.

"No. No. Out of the question." Adrien growled back.

Marinette rolled her eyes.

Both of there Ladybug and Chat Noir qualities were showing at the moment.

"If the miracle box is tainted... who knows that could have something to do with me being guardian.  It wasn't like that before with Master Fu.  If I renounce it maybe it will somehow be purified... I wouldn't be surprised, I mess everything up anyways."

"Marinette-"

"DON'T YOU GUYS GET IT! This is all of my fault.  I'm a failure and a total nobody.  The world would be better if I-" she stopped noticing the fear in Adrien's eyes, "It's my fault Tikki is gone.  I was too weak and I was too late.  My own petty insecurities stopped me from saving Tikki and now she's been taken! On top of that we can't just stop Hawkmoth knowing now that he's your father!"

Adrien opened his mouth again but she cut him off.  

"I may have been scared Adrien but I heard what your father said on the roof-of-of that building. Bad things would happen to the people we love if we don't do something. Well I'm planning on doing something. I won't let anything back happen to you and anyone else." She finished

"B-but we can protect our friends and family and-and we can..." Adrien didn't finish that sentence.  He knew she was right.  

They only had the cat miraculous, and his father was probably getting more and more desperate. Marinette wasn't in any state of mind to fight him and Adrien was getting weaker by the days.  His father had used the word "dying this morning just like his mother".  It was either she renounced or all of their loved ones died.  Not to mention the current mysteries of the  miracle box.  

There might not even be a chance their magic would still be available they had to give it up. But in order to stop Hawmoth, Adrien would have to give his ring back to Marinette and she would have to pass it on to someone else, so they and their loved ones couldn't be touched.  

In someway this box was a curse and a blessing.  

"Marinette please" Adrien tried fighting the tears that were coming up but it felt impossible.

Adrien collapsed on the floor begging in front of her. Adrien the aire to the Agreste Company, the holder of the black cat miraculous, one of the greatest superheroes of the generation, and teen supermodel was not the one to drop to his knees crying and begging for his plea to be fulfilled. The only thing that was different was he was begging to his lady, his princess, the love of his life, his only exception.

Marinette looked at him in shock.  

"Your... my everything ." He whimpered, "you've seen my father and if I give up my ring just like you then I'll lose Plagg too." Marinette opened and closed her mouth she felt herself crying too.

"I love you.  I love you. I love you so so much.  I can't stress that enough.  I want-need you to stay here with me.  Please Princess." His voice cracked.  The desperation and pain came through in his voice.  

"A-Adrien."

Adrien pulled her into a bone crushing hug.  Trying to hold onto her for life, but since he had been dizzy and fainting lately it came off weak and frail.  He sobbed into her neckline.  Marinette felt herself tear up to.

"Oh Chaton..."

Sadly, Marinette was sobbing  for a different reason.  She knew what she had to do.

"I-I promise, I won't leave you Adrien."

-End of Chapter 32-