Chapter Fifty-One: Poison

But not even Lila could predict what would happen next, for that night, the end, only one hero would be left standing.

That's when the floor of the elevator gave in, and the cart with all four of them went crashing.

Plagg's POV

I don't have that much time left.

Something is wrong.

Something is really wrong.

Never in my time as a kwami has something like this happened, sure miraculouses have fallen into the wrong hands, but not like this...

Not at this level-

I have fought at the sides of sentimonsters before, but my owner being one is something entirely different...

His body is failing itself... just like the tainted black goop that was spreading throughout the miracle box.

Me, Tikki, the other kwamis... we have been contaminated...

That's why he is fainting.

This boy is the product of a millennia of sins.

I peak my head out of Adrien's bag so slightly to see Marinette hovering over his body. Luka appears to be catching his breath near the corner of the elevator as Lila crouches on the floor examining her torn wrist that broke her fall during the impact of the crash.

Marinette never left his side.

Even after dropping several tens of feet down.

Sure, she was scared. You could see it in her striking eyes. Her breath was shaky almost as if she could not find it. But, the sudden drop of the floor falling from under them was nothing compared to Adrien.

Wayz knew it was a bad idea to put the cat miraculous and ladybug miraculous in circulation at the same time. Master Fu knew it was risky too, but that was what the world needed, so we sacrificed two children in the place of an army.

We gave the most powerful artifacts in history to kids. They fought in our wars and would pay the price.

Tikki apparates next to me, moving through the walls like they are doorways. She came at the sound of the crash and appeared to know the same thing I was beginning to figure out.

I am not poisoning Adrien, although transforming into Chat Blanc certainly is not helping--

Adrien is the poison.

I turn to Tikki, afraid to speak, despite the four teenagers being in their own worlds, "What do we do now?"

The solution Tikki gave me was simple.

To the larger question, it was an "I don't know."

It didn't seem like everything would be okay, but to the smaller problem-- thank the heavens she is her and knows exactly the solution.

Disappearing into the elevator's panels, the elevator began to shift and shake again rumbling underneath us before we slowly and steadily felt ourselves going up once more. Adrien had begun to stir, under Marinette's weight grabbing her hands softly and pressing them to his face.

Once we reached ground-level once again. Lila without saying a word, still clutching her wrists and biting back tears ran out shrieking for someone to get a doctor for her wrist.

Meanwhile, Luka and Marinette carried Adrien out.

Adrien's POV

I was in my father's infirmary.  I could feel my chest rising up and down as I sat on the uncomfortable hospital bed.  It was kind of transfixing to know that even though I was a sentimonster I still had some sense of life within me.  Even though I was a sentimonster, I loved someone to dance in the rain with too. 

I smiled at my mother's words.

Luka had left to get me a nurse, and I was left all alone.  Nothing knew. 

The hospital room was just like any hospital, pretty plain.  I had gained consciousness a couple of minutes ago and was now drowning in a pool of my thoughts.

"Little Kitty on a roof all alone without his lady." I sang, to myself slowly.

I smiled.  She knew it was me.  She knew I was Chat Noir.  I hummed to myself as I felt the corners of my mouth turn into a frown.

"Stop...stop.... Stop..." I whispered to myself feeling a lump in my throat rise up.  I wasn't angry that Luka was here-or about my father I-I... the thoughts of what had happened this morning between me and Plagg circled my mind.

I was angry at Marinette. 

I was angry that I felt like I missed her even though she was just a few feet away. I felt my lip tremble as I let out a quiet sob. 

No One's POV

"Luka had taken Adrien to the infirmary; he's going to be okay, right, Tikki?" Marinette laughed hysterically.

"Tikki?" The girl looked down at her purse and froze. Tikki had been [hasing in and out of the walls. It was unusual behavior for a kwami.

That's when Luka approached her in the hallway. Marinette didn't stare at Luka, but Luka could not take his eyes off of Marinette.

"Thanks.." She whispers towards Luka. He can't help but offer her a soft smile, but she is trampled by the fear both of them share.

"What's going on with him..."

"I really wish I knew."

That's when the tears she was trying so hard to stop came out.

"I really don't know how to help. I feel so helpless! He is just laying here and its been getting worse lately. I don't want anything to happen to him!"

It was a mix of confusion and anxiety; a dangerous combo.

Luka didn't want to leave, Marinette and Adrien were in no condition to be left alone but when Luka turned around to make a call to the police- when he turned back, she was gone and so was Adrien.

He ran out of the building looking everywhere for them- when he saw the white leather tail of a cat swishing in the distance before disappearing beyond the Paris skyline.

Plagg in a panic over his weak boy's body delved into Adrien's miraculous transforming Adrien as the cat with him and grabbed Marinette's hand. She found herself once again in her old room.

Fashion articles and clothes were strewn over the place. Markers overlapped with one another paving the way of designs she had forgot she had even created. She picked up the scattered papers on her bed before looking up at the boy in front of her.

"Adrien?"

In that moment though, he still didn't have a conscience. Plagg had used the last of Adrien's own strength to get them out of there, so with a thump, he collapsed on her bed, head first, right next to her.

That's when she screamed, Adrien de-transformed, and Plagg flew out of the ring along with Tikki from the bag.

And they told her everything.

End of Chapter Fifty-One