Chapter Thirty-Eight: Bad Guys

Previously:

She turned around to see Chat Blanc, the one man she was told to report, lying on her bed.

His hand propped up his face as he laid parallel to the sheets under him. He gave her a smirk.

"Hi Princess."

Nobody's POV

Marinette looked over at him in shock, then to the open window.  So that's why it was chilly.  She gave him a glare as she went to block out the cold wind- her eyes still fixated on his ring.

Chat's smirk faltered a bit at her glare, but he quickly recovered.

"So Princess why are you in this cushy place?"

"Internship." She answered coldly as she turned her back to him and walked into her closet to pick an outfit for tomorrow.

"If I were you, I would wear the blue dress- it brings out your gorgeous eyes." He flirts once again.

Marinette rolled her eyes and continued to ignore him as she searched through her clothes.

Chat looked at her; his smile had definitely faded.  Why was she acting like this?  Chat Blanc slowly got up and wrapped his hands around her waist. She backed away, still unsure between the right and the wrong that Gabriel had spun in her head.

"Princess... did I do something wrong?" He said as he rested her chin on his shoulder.

She sighed before removing his hands.

"Princess..?"

She still wouldn't make eye contact with him, so he raised her chin in desperation as she looked into his eyes and-

-One Hour Ago-

Something was wrong.

It had been a long day of research and work with Plagg and Tikki.  The advantages of summer

Yet, things were going south.  It was one of Adrien's bad days in terms of his health.  Plagg  and Tikki had given him a nice cold washcloth as they continued to work on the miracle box in the school library.  Another advantage of summer is having a private place to work on this sacred box.

Since the box now belonged to Chat, it had turned Black with neon green outlines around it.  

Adrien wasn't the only one getting weaker; so were Tikki and Plagg from the miracle box.  It was simple purify the magic inside the box and save Plagg, Tikki, and get Marinette's memory back.  His health didn't matter right now to him.  All that mattered were them.

They had all done research on sacred objects and magics  but couldn't find anything that would help.  

Tikki and Plagg had still gone in but couldn't find anything. 

Adrien now kept Tikki's earrings inside the miracle box with the other kwamis.  Tikki was ordered by both Adrien and Plagg not to go inside the actual deep of the box but stay on the surface inside her earrings like the rest of the kwamis inside.

Other than the fact Adrien was slowly dying, he looked as attractive as ever.  He had the same kind green eyes without the mask unlike the icy blue ones he now sported.  He also now had more white like hair.  Not quite white but just on the verge.

They weren't getting anywhere so Plagg suggested that they visit Marinette to try to bring up some memories.

For the past nights Chat Blanc had been telling her about her interests and experimenting to see if they had stayed the same.  

He was delighted to see that all of her interests had stayed the same.  He smiled his Marinette.  Creative, flustered easily, a pulverizing video game champion, and a fashion prodigy.

When he went to visit her tonight he couldn't find her in her room.  Her room in fact, was bare.  What the-

His paranoia led him to believe his father had done something.  He wasn't wrong from a window he observed that they were talking at dinner..?

What was going on.  He opened the window to what he was assuming was her new room.  Adrien smiled he loved this guest room and was happier to know the resident living in it he loved too.  

He sat down in her new pink fluffy back waiting for her Princess to come in...

-Present Time- 

She still wouldn't make eye contact with him, so he raised her chin in desperation as she looked into his eyes and-

Marinette whimpered.  She looked at this boy.  He wasn't a bad guy.  She barely knew him but she knew enough.  He was a good guy.  She was sure of it.  At least she thought she would.

The girl swallowed harshly as her cheeks flushed red.  She felt tears pass down her freckled cheeks and splatter on the floor.

"I'm so sorry Kitty!"

She whimpered.  She wrapped her arms around him without hesitation and pulled him close to her.

Chat gaped.  This was a mood change.  He didn't know what was going on, but the nickname "Kitty" made him blush even harder.  It even made his heart jump.  He missed that nickname.  He missed it so much.  

He ran his hands slowly on her beautiful frame as she cried in his chest.  He looked at her sadly.

"Princess... what's going on?"

"I'm so so sorry.  You've been nothing but sweet and nice to me!  You took me in, you-you gave me s-something to look forward to everyday.  Being locked up by-by myself without anyone was- I'm so glad to have you.  You are such an amazing person I'm so-so sorry!"

He froze.  He could understand the feeling of loneliness all too well.  The white cat pushed her deeper into his chest.  

Marinette finally spoke up, "Mr. Agreste... he said you were a-" she laughed at how childish the next part had come up, "he had said you were a bad guy..."

She looked up at him expecting him to say something.

Chat's breath hitched.  So that was his father's plan—turn Marinette against him.  

"Marinette, look, I don't know what-"

"But-but you don't seem like a bad guy to me." She laughed looking up at him innocently.  Her blue eyes full of such hope and wonder for the world. 

"Are you that bad guy he says... Kitty?"

"No Princess.  I promise."

She nodded sleepily.  He looked up at the sky.  A pitch-black twilight

He carried her slowly to her bed and gently placed her in the folds.  She sighed contently.

"C-can you promise me that you'll always come back?"

The air was stiff and the question hung in the air. Chat froze. This all felt so oddly familiar...

Marinette thought he might have left. It was pitch black after all.

Chat felt a tear slip down his cheek as he finally spoke, breaking the silence.  It was familiar.  When he first came into Marinette's room and watched movies together, they had this exact same conversation.

So he gave the exact same response:

"Princess, I will always be here for you. Always. Always and forever."

-End Chapter 38-