Chapter Forty-Five: Playing with Fire

THANK YOU GUYS FOR 11K! AHHHH! ILY ILY ILY! Since this is my first work it's not gonna be the best but I have something in the work that I'm really excited to show you guys if you wanna read more miraculous ladybug stuff! 🥰

—————

⚠️Language Warning⚠️

Nobody's POV

It felt like hours but after on and off again sobbing, Plagg and Tikki had managed to calm Adrien down.

The truth hung in the air. That's why he was weak. That's why he was dying. His father was trying to save him. The wound's of the peacock miraculous had caused Emilie to die every time she was in use. The amuk, his heart, was starting to become inactive. Causing him to get weaker and weaker by the days until finally rotting inside. The akuma his father placed on him was supposed to be a placeholder to amplify his life and keep him alive....

Adrien's thoughts were stopped when he heard the soft yet distinct footsteps coming from upstairs. In all the bad those steps he could recognize and make out from miles away. His senses filled with a light feeling knowing that she was back. Marinette. He smiled to himself. Before wobbling back up with the help of Plagg and Tikki.

He looked at his mom's casket before kissing the glass gently. He didn't know what else to do.

Going up the elevator from the basement, he passed Gabriel and Nathalie's hushed whispers as they stopped to stare at him. He didn't acknowledge that they were there. Instead, he ignored them and went upstairs to join Marinette, his bag slinging on his shoulder with the miracle box.

His father had given him one chance to save his mom and him, but he couldn't take it. Not when Marinette was close to having her memories back. What if his making that wish messed something up with her memories?

If it came to him and Marinette, he was always going to put Marinette first.

Now he was playing with fire, and little did he know, he was about to get burned by the person he would have least expected.

With his bedroom door still open, he checked to make sure Marinette was in her room. It didn't matter if anyone saw him when he did this, then:

"Plagg Claws Out."

Adrien came into Marinette's room by sneaking from his window into hers. Standing their arms crossed, Marinette was glaring in front of him. For someone so short and innocent, she could be so scary when she was mad.

"Hey Purrincess." He laughed nervously as he slowly approached her.

"Am I Ladybug?" She whispered to him.

"W-what-"

"What am I saying? I know I'm Ladybug, and I knew you lied to me!" She shouted louder.

Adrien flinched. He could almost picture the smirk coming off of his father's face as she said that.

"W-why didn't you tell me-" She whimpered covering her face.

"I- I just" he was at a loss of words.

"You-you what! You what Chat Blanc-or Chat Noir!" She looked like she was almost daring to get into a fight with him. She had the same kind of intensity Ladybug used to send shivers down every Parisians spine.

Murmuring, he said, "So you got back one of those memories, huh?"

He knew she was mad, but deep down he smiled. He was finally getting the girl he loved back. He was getting the girl he went on patrols with and did movie night with. The one who knew she was Adrien. The one who loved him for both sides of him. The one who when she smiled, took his breath away.

Things were not going to be okay-he thought.

The boy couldn't be more wrong, sadly. Especially not in that moment.

"Princess-er-M'Lady, don't you see this is perfect! You love me, and I love you! Now that you have your memories back, we can finally," he urged, trying to calm her down.

"WE CAN FINALLY BE TOGETHER!? Is that what you're thinking about right now!? You never told me you loved me until now. Now that I know the truth, WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME!? Y-you- IT'S TRUE! You-STOLE MY MEMORIES AND MANIPULATED ME?!"

Adrien froze. He didn't expect that of all the things to come out of her mouth. Something was wrong, very wrong, manipulating her? He may have lied but he never did anything like that and to be accused of stealing her memories

His heart dropped at the thought that the girl in front of him, blinking tears, out of her eyes, could ever think that he would hurt her in any way.

"What are you talking about Marinette I never-"

"I GOT MORE OF MY MEMORIES BACK AT LUNCH- ABOUT BEING LADYBUG- I DIDN'T NEED THEM BECAUSE TWO WEEKS AGO GABRIEL AGRESTE TOLD ME EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW."

Gabriel Agreste. Dammit. What the hell did his father say? He felt an anger rising, not at Marinette but to his father. Out of all the things for him to go in meds with he knew for a fact that this was playing with fire and his last nerve. A part of him spoke to him in a soft whisper to go downstairs and end his father once and for all.

He shook it off, staring at the girl's cold bluebell eyes. Something about them—he had never seen her look at him like that before.

"Marinette..." his voice dropped low and threatening. A tone Adrien had never used except for the night he stole Marinette's earrings from Gabriel Agreste as Chat Blanc. "I don't know what that man said to you but he's very dangerous-"

"No...n-no Chat I think you-you're the dangerous one." She trailed looking at her phone.

"No. Princess-Marinette- No." he warned her.

She looked at him, "I wanna b-believe you but I'm afraid that I'm going to get hurt. And with that she pressed the button to the authorities.

Fuck. Chat ran to her and tackled her on her bed, the mattress softening the blow. He quickly declined the emergency services call and had her pinned against her bed. She fought him up, not wanting to make a commotion from downstairs.

Her head was screaming and tearing her apart. She didn't know who to believe. Chat or Gabriel?! Chat seemed like he loved her and-and- a part of her loved him. It loved him so fucking much.

But another part-

Gabriel seemed to be telling the truth so far, she was Ladybug. Which meant what Chat had done to her was true, right? She stole her earrings and her memories. He had lied and manipulated her into his own naive toy.

Marinette, on top of the fight now, looked down. He stole something precious to her. Should she return the favor?

She reached for his ring before-

Marinette knew she had just played with fire. 

Chat's eyes flashed. He saw her fingers reaching towards his ring and the anger he felt finally rose to the surface. It was everything his Dad, the antagonization he was facing, and the betrayal from the girl he loved. Chat grabbed her hands swiftly; firmly holding them away from his ring.

Chat pinned her hands up against the headboard before leaning slowly down to her ear. She tried to squirm, but he was too strong. 

She looked up at him, slowly trying to catch her breath.  So this was the infamous Chat Blanc everyone feared.

His blue eyes flamed and bore into hers, burning into her flesh. Adrien had completely lost it.  With everything today-he was on his last legs.  The anger built up inside of him slowly.

Before leaning forward, still panting in her ear, "M'Lady..."

"I dare you to that again."

-End of Chapter 45-