Chapter Forty-Three: The Truth

Nobody's POV

Trust.  At this point Marinette didn't know who she could trust.  Chat had continued to visit her after that night but-

She didn't tell him what Mr. Agreste said to her after that night.  

It made sense... didn't it? Why would someone like Chat hang out with her- I mean-

Was she easy? Was that all it was? Was she that pathetic.  

Marinette doubts and confusion circled her head.  

She had planted hints at Chat to see if Gabriel was lying or telling the truth.

She said stuff to him like:

"What do you think about new earrings? I had earrings looking back at the pictures Alya showed me? Do you know where they are?"

Chat would always freeze and change the conversation. Yeah... definitely suspicious.  

But- he-he wasn't just using her for some greater purpose Marinette shook her head as she grabbed her pink school bag.  She had to keep a clear head.  She was going into school with no memories of her peers.

She put on a long sleeved white top and a pink plaid spaghetti strap dress.  She headed out bumping onto Adrien on the stairs.

"GAH-Sorry!"

"It's fine besides you look amazing anyways!"

Adrien could almost hear Plagg rolling his eyes at the compliments he was giving Marinette.

'EITHER FLIRT WITH HER AS CHAT OR ADRIEN NOT BOTH' 

Adrien laughed and gave Marinette a dazzling smile.  His blonde hair was in his usual cute messy style and he was wearing a preppy navy vest and black pants.  Marinette blushed, he looked amazing, well he always did.

He helped her up and squeezed her hands.  His green eyes kindly peering into hers.

She smiled.

"So... I was thinking before school we could go eat at this one cafe I took you to before well-you know- my treat! What do you say!"

Marinette nodded as Adrien took her out of the house.  Nathalie protested but eventually let them leave.  Adrien clearly wasn't budging or in the mood.  

Like I've said before he still had to live in the house, since he was still a minor, but his 17th birthday was in 4 days from now.  Marinette and Adrien left for breakfast as both Nathalie and Gabriel turned Adrien's room upside down looking for the miracle box.

They couldn't find it anywhere though.  Adrien smirked and patted his bag.  He decided to keep it close to him today.  If anyone at school asked he would say a custom design pencil case.  Not the best cover but a good one.

Sitting down at the cafe Adrien thanked them for the menus.  He was excited to get to hang out with Marinette as Adrien instead of Chat Noir-er- Blanc for a change.

Adrien's POV

Everything was going perfect.  Marinette's memories were returning and it wouldn't be long before they were truly united again.

I did have one problem though.  I still felt weak.  I was trying my best to suppress it but-

Was I really dying?  I felt a dread creep into my heart.  I couldn't lose myself right after I got Marinette back.  I just-

Nobody's POV

"Nervous?" Adrien teased.

Marinette nodded.

"Adrien." Marinette said as a waiter came to take away their menus and fill their water glasses.

"Yes, Pri- UH Mari?"

"What do you think of Chat Blanc?"

The waiter almost dropped Adrien's glass at the name.  He quickly gave a fake smile before walking away as to avoid the conversation about one of Paris's fallen heroes.

Marinette ignored the waiter and looked at Adrien intently.  She didn't care about anyone else's opinions but she thought that she could trust Adrien and hopefully Chat Blanc. 

Adrien swallowed the large lump in his throat as Plagg shifted uncomfortably in his bag.

"Uhh-well..."

"Sorry." Marinette apologized, "I-I was just wondering."

"Well... what do you think of him?" Adrien said.

Marinette fiddled with her hands in discomfort.  She open and closed her mouth as a tear slid down her cheek.

Adrien looked at her shocked.  He had never expected this reaction.  He assumed she would've lied or stuttered or- but not this.

"Marinette, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to make you fee-" 

"I honestly don't know anymore" she whimpered.

What? Marinette looked and sounded sincere.  He didn't understand.  Had he done something wrong as Chat Blanc? They had seemed pretty close for the most part.  Although she did mention something about her earrings that one time and he froze.  Was that enough?

Adrien's thoughts were broken as people were starting to stare and whisper.  He took her hand gently in his.

"C'mon let's get out of here." He said grabbing her bag and slinging it on his shoulder.

"Kay" she sniffled as they left.

Meanwhile...

Plagg and Tikki had heard there whole exchange and looked at each other nervously.

When Tikki activated her miraculous ladybug down in the miracle box it had worked temporarily and now sometimes would glow on its own thanks to Tikki.  As if trying to salvage itself.  

Tikki had told Adrien and Plagg after they rushed back to tell her that Marinette had gotten her memories back.

Every time the pure magic resurfaced, even for a second Marinette got a memory back- at least that's what they had observed so far.

To there knowledge Marinette remembered:

- The umbrella incident on the first days of school

- The 996 roses and dandelion quote-or in Plagg's mind "moldy flowers" don't ask why-

- Some random notes strummed on the guitar (everyone was stumped by that one- even Adrien)

- Alya talking about uncovering Ladybug' identity at the Louvre 

- Marinette and Adrien dancing in the light of the moon

Plagg and Adrien were ecstatic but didn't want to test it anymore than they had already.  See how things would play out-

But it sounded like Marinette was questioning her loyalty and love to Chat Noir which couldn't be good.

Marinette and Adrien walked into school parting there separate ways much to Adrien's displeasure.

He wanted to ask her more and stay with her a little longer.  It felt like every moment away from her was torture.

Gabriel's POV

Marinette will soon be pinned against Adrien  and what's more is I have her as a weapon.  I smiled looking at the white butterflies next to me.  It was only a matter of time before Marinette loses control and is separated from Adrien.

I sighed there was problem though.  Adrien.  Adrien was his son and on top of that- He needed to know the truth.

-End of Chapter 43-