Chapter Fifty-Four: Sacrifice

No One's POV

Ladybug kicked Chat Blanc as hard as she could in the stomach. 

He took the blow like a present and went flying. He crashed on the harsh, slant tiles of the roof.

He knew it wasn't a good idea to try and take her earrings, he knew that girl better than anyone.  At the least for Marinette, kicking him was like a reflex: if an akumatized villain took her miraculous, she would do the same thing.

But Adrien wasn't a villain; he was just the boy breaking her heart.

When he held her for that eternity; it shortly became ephemeral; short-lived--much like the boy's life. Adrien knew Marinette was bright-one of the most creative and genius girls he knew. So he didn't have to tell her what was going on.

She knew him, she knew his past and his present; she saw his body fill with poison-- she knew something was wrong. She knew it the moment Adrien had asked for privacy with Plagg in her bedroom.

Even though she did not truly know the half of it; she knew he wanted her earrings.

And she knew her boy.

He wasn't the kind to make wishes for himself. 

If he was trying to take her earrings, it was for the sake of something greater, a sacrifice.

So in the midst of the burning buildings of Paris and the cruel rampages of innocent civilians fleeing the streets from Hawkmoth's army of akumas; there she was.

Fighting the boy she loved.

She had to; if he got her earrings, he would be gone.

With one jump, she landed on the roof next to him.

"WHAT THE HELL!" She shouted; her throat sounded raw; it was the kind of scream that splits vocal chord apart.

"Why didn't you tell me what was happening sooner..." Her voice broke defensively, clutching her earrings from any harm. 

It was her way of protecting him... or maybe she was protecting herself from the truth.

"I-"

Two teenagers stood on a roof. Both waiting for the other to respond. 

Adrien couldn't say anything else.

She wanted him to say more though- she wanted him to say something more. She wanted him to say three words and eight letters.

Instead he said:

"I don't know."

The wrong three words for a girl to hear, but the boy himself was confused and heartbroken not from her, but by life.

That he would never get to have one. 

And for once both of them were selfish. Among a world of akumas they were teenagers and they ran. 

It was never them against the world, but them against themselves. 

So, they sat next to each other on the roof in silence. A girl bubbling with rage, and a boy who felt his insides were about to explode.

So, they sat there, in anger and pain and bargaining and depression. 

Never acceptance. 

At least not for Marinette.

Adrien feels her shake next to him. Her tears slip down her face until they are unbearable and the boy who was supposed to die ended up being the one comforting his girlfriend.

Because the difference was: Adrien would be at peace, and Marinette would continue to grieve long after he was gone. 

Marinette's POV

I don't feel like a hero. 

Heroes are supposed to save the people they love. 

I am supposed to save him.

But for the life of me I don't know how to fix things. I will do anything please.

I will lose my memories again, I will bargain, I will sell my soul if I never even get to talk to Adrien again, but his whole life he has been waiting to live. 

Please, let him live. 

I feel so helpless. I just wish their was something more I could do.

All of our memories. I just want to stay with him. Please.

Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.

Please.

I just want Adrien. 

I want him safe and healthy.

He wants my earrings to make a wish, but I know its not for himself. He would never take away someone else's life away to save his. 

This is a sacrifice.

But I don't understand why.

Why us???

My body shakes uncontrollably I can't stop the panic or the sobs that explode inside me. I tried so hard to hold it in, but like a bomb its exploded over us. 

I rest my head in my hands trying to move the tears and snot but its no use. Adrien sees. 

I am all he sees. 

Without even thinking his chin rests on my shoulder as he leans down and kisses my neck gently.

"I wanted to deliver you the rest of those roses I promise yo-"

"I know." I respond short and curt. 

"You have no idea how much this is going to hurt me-"

"I know." I feel the pain bubble up in my throat and I can tell he senses it as well.

"M'lady... I need you to trust me. Please, I need your earrings."

I take one final breath before reaching up to my ear and taking both off; detransforming in the process.

"I know."

-End of Chapter 54-