ADVICE: The No. 1 Reason You Can't Improve

I'm old. And I first stepped into this world without running water or electricity so know that I don't give this advice lightly.

For hundreds of years, there have been many constants. "Death and Taxes." I'd go one step further and put, "Death, Taxes, & Naysayers." You know, the failures who love to drag you down into the muck with them.

But this new generation of children is a far cry from my own and they have one very real drawback, they can't take criticism. Of any kind. Ever.

As someone who critiques (at someone's request), I'll say that half my time on the critique is spent 'reassuring' the author. I'm under no obligation to do this, but I dedicate time to this because I do not want my feedback to be misunderstood. But I'm getting tired now.

We have a generation of writers who are fueled by hearts made of jell-o. Shaky, unstable, fit to collapse at the drop of a dime, constantly in need of reinforcement. The problem is, the more propping up we get, the weaker we become to feedback.

It hurts. FEEDBACK hurts. Feedback of any kind. But in what arena of life do you know hard work to be easy? Sure, the athletes at the Olympics defying physics make it look easy but how many broken bones and fractures have they had to crawl back from?

More than once, I've seen people post 'stop being mean' 'stop saying negative things' 'be constructive.'

Look. Trolls are terrible. But much like the bacteria lining an animal's intestinal wall, they provide a service. It's dreadful, and revolting, and nobody wants to cross that bridge and meet one but I dare say that anyone who wants to write, and write well, but has never been dragged by their ego and tossed around, isn't going to make it.

At best, they'll create a bubble. A VERY controlled space where they hear what they want and will more than likely end up alone in.  Or...at worst, they will force their unpolished craft on others through underhanded means, ruining the chances of dedicated authors getting a oppertunity to succeed.

Pick your poison.