H U N D R E D A N D S E V E N

C H A P T E R HUNDREDANDSEVEN

Han had his eyes closed for the rest of the trip. Whether he was able to or was merely trying to was her still a question. Hayoon hoped it was the first option.

After some hours of traveling, they reached the foot of the mountain. Judging from the way he didn't move, Hayoon could tell that sleep had taken over him. He slept that soundly, that she didn't have the heart to disturb him, but eventually she had to. The sun set earlier on this time of the year, and it would turn pitch black in the blink of an eye. They had to ride up the mountain, and who knows what danger would lurk around in the shadows.

"Han," Hayoon shook him slightly on the shoulder. His brows slightly moved and a frown appeared on his face. Han squeezed his eyes causing wrinkles to deepen before he parted his eyes.

"We've got here," Hayoon said, offering him a soft smile.

She didn't know how warm he felt when she called him like this. Waken up to her voice calling his name. He returned a warm smile and got up.

Both got out of the carriage. The ground was covered in fallen leaves painted in autumn's color. Yellow. Just like the sun. The mountain was splashed with the color of red and orange. It looked as if it was a huge flame.

Hayoon was stunned by the view she had never seen before. She had only stayed at a palace isolated by walls, or an island that had nothing besides the water surrounding it. The driver came with two horses and handed the reigns to Han.

"Do you know how to ride a horse?" Han asked.

"I do." A glint of happiness beamed from her eyes.

Hayoon didn't merely know how to ride, she loved it. It gave her an indescribable feeling of freedom. She likes to feel the wind brush against her skin, and send her hair back. It would feel like riding on the wind. The feeling of not being restrained by anything. When riding Hayoon felt like her worries dispersed and cleared her mind.

Following a paved road, they ascended the mountain, riding separate horses. Hayoon blushed and she didn't know if it was due to the coldness that brought the heat to her face or it was due to the excitement. Eventhough she tried not to let it show, a smile still snuck its way to her lips and pulling the corner of her lips upwards.

Han rode beside her, at a pace that matched hers, but then at some point, he speeded up. Hayoon felt competitive, for some reason it was as if he was challenging her. Hayoon urged the horse to run faster, wiping the reins as she leaned slightly forward with her upper body and soon passed Han.

Hayoon didn't know where the final destination was, but following the road would probably lead her somewhere. The horse gasped as it rode through the mountain, and so did Hayoon. From time to time she would look back, to see if Han was catching up to her, but it didn't seem like he could. From the glint in his eyes, Hayoon knew that she had awakened the competitive side in him.

Then at some hundred meters ahead, a small resident surrounded by a low wall was in her sight of view. It was probably there they would spend the night. A triumphant smile crossed her lips. There it was. She made it. Just as she was getting closer to her final destination a wind strongly blew by her side, that was when she knew that Han was catching up to her at an incredible speed. Just like the wind, he came without a warning and overtook her by surprise.

Han was a general after all, much more experienced than her. Why did she even feel disappointed for losing? Hayoon slowed her pace, strolling at moderate speed. Han was already at the main gate to the resident, getting off his horse.

When Hayoon reached the main gate, Han offered her a hand. She glanced at his hand, unwilling to take it. She felt bitterly defeated, but again it wasn't his fault for being better.

Hayoon tightened her lips and eventually took his hand. Her eyes have yet softened. Her feet landing on the ground unsteadily, making her hands tight around his hand.

"Are you sullen?" Han was aware of the match they had agreed on without verbal exchange.

"Just slight disappointed," Hayoon admitted. "I thought I was good at riding."

"You are," Han said. Hearing a compliment from an expert made her feel slightly better.

"Who taught you to ride?"

"I taught it myself," Hayoon said.

"Impressive,"

Hayoon wasn't the type to get tired of compliments.

"What is this place though?" Hayoon asked. "You haven't told my anything so far."

"It is the place where my grandparents lived. Mostly my grandpa, since grandma died after giving birth to mother."

It reminded Hayoon of her own story. Her mother also died when she was given birth.

"Grandfather was a general of high-rank, hence he was granted this mountain in reward for his merits."

Since it was far from the capital, wouldn't it be inconvenient for his grandpa to meet his mother? The distance alone took nearly a day to travel. Was this why Han preferred to stay in his own resident than his grandparents's place? Although Han's Manor wasn't in the heart of the capital, it was still closer to the palace. From what Hayoon remember it would only take a couple of hours to reach the palace.

"It is pretty far from the palace," Hayoon said, wondering why the former emperor didn't let Han's grandparents stay closer to the capital.

"It's is. During my grandfather's time the road wasn't paved yet, so it would take even longer to travel."

Although Han was talking about his family, he didn't look happy but seemed somewhat melancholic. Han rarely talked about his family, and it was the first time she heard him talk about his grandfather. The story Han was about to tell, was nothing she had expected at all.

A/N: a double update 💗💗