F I F T Y E I G H T

C H A P T E R F I F T Y E I G H T

This era wasn't free of prejudice. Although acknowledging that fact, the people in living that certain shaped world would still be disturbed by the world surrounding them. For some a certain word is meant with immeasurable attachment, for other it could be an utterly insult.

Still, despite her efforts of looking at it from different angles Hayoon still couldn't find a positive aspect in the word graveyard. It reached some point were she tried to deceive herself into thinking it as some word with a different meaning from what she knew it of. She even asked Ailee what graveyard meant in Great Yong, which was replied with an uplifted brow and an ugly grimace.

"Don't you burry people in your country?" Ailee asked, genuinely concerned.

"We are not barbarians,"

"Then why in the world are you asking as if you don't know?"

To that Hayoon remained silent. For not receiving what she had given, Ailee was utmost offended.

"Don't ever think to get an answer from me again." Ailee sulkily stated.

Not that It particularly mattered, but in fact Hayoon had no reason to get in bad terms with Ailee. Especially when they were staying in the same room for their whole stay.

"Han said I was like a graveyard to him,"

"So what?" Ailee's tone couldn't be more nonchalant. Appearing as it didn't surprise her the slightest.

"So what?"

"Why would you be offended? Compared to others who brings sweets and stuff you made him stand for execution. Graveyard, knife, poison, you should be grateful with graveyard. And that is nicely said,"

While Hayoon clearly heard the whole sentence, her mind somehow only registered the first part.

"Those with a brain would clearly choose the other girl, why that fool choose you is still a mystery."

"Cause unlike others he didn't choose with his stomach," Although her words appeared confident, Hayoon was in fact still unsure about its reliability. Why would he even chose her, that was also her a wonder. At some point she began to question herself. If she was him, Hayoon would definitely not choose herself. Then why would he?

The question rang in her ears, pestering her every second throughout the day. It got to the point that she couldn't remember what she had been doing the whole day. Who she met and who she talked to, remained as a blurred space in her memory.

She was out with the monk picking up herbs and looking at autumn flowers but she couldn't keep a single memory of it in her mind. What that flower was named, what it was used for and so on... everything remained not only as a question mark but a completely blank space.

At night, when she again met with Han at their appointed secret meeting place, her mind was still elsewhere, although she was physically present.

Hayoon wandered alone in the night, slowly nearing their appointed location. Han's figure came into her field of view, as expected he didn't made her wait as the other day. Greeting her was a pairs of warming eyes and a soft smile.