E I G H T

C H A P T E R E I G H T

Near midday did they arrive at the royal palace. A husky voice was announcing the arrival of the Kang emperor to the palace. Someone opened the door of the carriage for Yoon to step out. Her view was welcomed by enormous palace walls. Tall wooden piles were engraved with divine creatures as dragons and phoenixes painted with glowing gold. The sun rays collided with the bright colour and blinded Yoon to the point it hurts.

The soldiers was drenched in sweat, but still stood with straightened backs in long lines. Hayoon jumped down from the horse and moved to Yoon. From a far a figure was approaching them, it was to no doubt Han that was walking through the big courtyard. He just came back from greeting the Emperor, also his father.

"Your highness." Han lowered his head with his arm across his chest to shoulder to greet Yoon.

Yoon put both hands inside the big sleeves, lifted them to chest height and lowered her head just as much as Han did. She didn't know the customs of the Great Yong, but hoped this was good enough for a polite greeting.

"Though I know the trip has been tiring, I request your Highness to meet the Emperor as soon as possible."

Yoon needed a reasonable excuse to switch roles with Hayoon. But how was the question. She couldn't pretend to be Hayoon forever.

"I understand your corcern. I'll be greeting the emperor after turning myself presentable." It was basic etiquette to greet the king as the first thing, he was the host afterall. But as a female and a ruler on top of that, she couldn't meet the king smelling like old food. Technically Hayoon, but that's the same.

With the excuse of a bath Yoon could switch with Hayoon and thing would go back to its original place, it was like hitting two birds with one stone. Yoon smiled to herself under the mask, proud of herself.

"As you wish." Han said. A hint of discomfort surfaces his cold but gentle voice.

From afar two princes was passing by, but stopped in their tracks as they spotted the crowd. Their eyes locked on the girl with the white mask standing next to their brother.

"What's the commotion?" One of the princes asked with a cold tone. Lines deepened in his forehead as looked in the direction of the crowd at the courtyard.

"Han was supposed to escort the ruler of the Kang, could that be her?" The younger prince said and stood on his toes, though it didn't help to get a better view as the distance was too far.

"Guess he can keep that arrogant head of his." a bitter laugh followed the younger Prince's words.

"Am I missing something?" The elder brother said, clearly oblivious of the topic.

"Han was supposed to return yesterday with the Emperor, but as he didn't the weak hearted old men were tripping and started doubting him-" The informant younger paused to stop himself from bursting into a laugh.

"Of course with that prideful personality our little brother gave his word that his Majesty would see the Kang emperor before the end of the day. If not-" The prince gestured a head slice move with his hand and clicked while doing it.

The elder Prince smirked a venomuos grin, but without realizing his eyes were trapped in the masked girl. Again.

"Hyung-nim, the day is still long." His brother said slyly, but he was too absorbed in his own thoughts that he wasn't listening.

"Hyung-nim? Hyung-"

A sudden wind whistled, lifting the white mask of the girl in white exposing the fair skin of her jaw. The crowd suddenly went silent and so did the two prince afar. Only Han looked the other away as Yoon flustered lowered her head and grabbed the end of the mask to hold it in place while others stared intensely.

What are you trying to hide... The eldest prince locked his eyes on the feather like mask, that waved with every breath as if it was teasing him for a peek. The edges of his eyes sharpened as he intensely stared at the girl who stood next to Han.

"Hyung-nim?" The question of his brother pulled him back to reality, he turned at his brother. His cold eyes turned murderous as he found his little brother having his eyes on the girl he had been staring at.

"Why do you think is she wearing mask?" His brother said unaware of the dangerous glare.

"Mind your own business Sin" He snered at his brother then walked ahead.

Why is he angry at me? Sin looked baffled.

Just as that was said a maid was coming in Sin's way. She came from the direction of the crowd and was heading somewhere with fast steps. As always Sin was curious. Why did she seem so troubled, when being calm and remaining a neutral facial expression regardless circumstances was basic educate for the servant in the palace? The young prince grabbed the maids arm instinctively as she bowed at him midways.

"His highness." The maid said nervously unable to walk pass as the prince blocked her path.

"Where are you heading?" He released her from his touch.

"To the west wing his highness. To prepare the bath for the new arrived Emperor." Her words came out stuttering.

"Mmm... fine..You can go." Prince Sin gave a gentle smile then stepped aside for the maid to pass. She walked with fast steps. A grin formed on his lips as he realised his brother was getting more anxious at every passing seconds, which must be the reason behind the maids shivering.

The day sure pass fast... west wing...