N I N E T Y O N E

C H A P T E R    N I N E T Y O N E

The reason for Hayoon to act up didn't matter, what truly did was that acted her own way in front of the emperor and the empress. She looked down on the law and acted upon herself as if this was wild land. She made a grave mistake of feigning ignorance to the emperor's presence and for that, she wouldn't get unscratched away. She was a mere maid, not qualified to make her own judgment and punish the empress' people on her own record. Behead was a light sentence for violating the law.

Hayoon committed a crime, and it was a given to be punished. Whether she was right or not was still not proved. During the investigation, Hayoon was to be locked in the dungeon. She knew she had caused trouble, but the rush of adrenaline made her care less about the matter.

From the corner of his eyes, the emperor glanced at Hayoon as she was brought out of the chamber by the guards. No resentment nor remorse was sensed in those intense eyes. Her gaze which didn't hold fear didn't leave his mind, and seconds later, the emperor was as bewitched. It felt like he had seen those eyes before, but he couldn't remember where.

"Your majesty," the empress said, pulling the emperor from his trance.

"I'm sorry for wasting your precious time. Please let me make things right,"

The emperor regained his composure and masked himself with a neutral expression. He brushed the empress's strand of hair and tugged it behind her ear. A smile graced his lips as the emperor caressed the empress's cheek with the back of his finger.

"My dear empress," the emperor purred.

"You are too kindhearted, don't trouble yourself with this case,"

Does the emperor not trust me anymore?

"His majesty-"

"I like your pureness, but as you can see people take advantage of that. Instead of investigating this case, isn't it more important to find one that can substitute your previous maid? I remember she was one of your closest,"

It is a sign that he is suspicious of me?...

I better be cautious.

"This empress obeys his majesty's order,"

.

.

That night the emperor didn't return to the empress's wing. The sight might have left quite a negative impact, hence he didn't feel the urge to return that early. For a while, he wondered why he hadn't got any news from Han. The prince's maid has been imprisoned, but his brother hadn't done a single thing to look for her. Or did the emperor overestimate her value in the prince's eyes?

"Your majesty," the emperor's eunuch bowed as he entered the reading chamber. It was unusual for the eunuch to come at this hour. He knew how much the emperor hated to get disturbed if not it was something important. Putting down the scroll in his hand, the emperor looked down at the eunuch who lowered his head.

"What is it?" The emperor spoke in a low tone.

"The elder head maid request to meet his majesty," The eunuch replied.

It was no doubt that the eunuch wouldn't dare interrupt the emperor for just any head maid who requested his audience. The one and only that dared to make such a pleading at this time of the day, could only be the elder head maid.

The emperor froze for a moment, afraid that his hearing was playing tricks on him. He didn't expect to have a visit, and out of all people of the elder head maid, who was supposed to be far away. From the day the emperor had permitted the elder head maid to leave the palace to serve Han in a residence far away from the capital, she had not come back for once. Why did she suddenly come to the palace and at this hour?