HUNDRED AND TWENTYEIGHT

Morning arrived in the blink of an eye. Since this would be his last day at the palace, Han decided to stop by Ailee's chamber, biding her a last goodbye. Contrary Han, Ailee hasn't been looking forward for this day to come.

"You are really leaving?" Was her first sentence when she opened the door and met Han.

To her question, Han offered a simple nod.

"It's hard to believe," Ailee said to herself, but loud enough for Han to hear.

Han felt the same way as Ailee, to think that this day would come. Han stared at Ailee, it was a lie to say that her melancholy expression didn't bring a sense of nostalgia.

Ailee invite him inside or moved aside for Han to enter. Instead she reached him a yellow convolute whilst standing there with only the doorstep between them.

Han looked at the yellow convolute, and then back at Ailee.

"Hyun arranged for me to be adopted in a wealthy family in the northern region. They have no interest in political and wouldn't know I am the princess everyone believes to be dead. They don't know who their adoptive daughter is, they only know that the person with this paper, will become their daughter."

"But why are you giving me this?,"

"Because I don't need it,"

"What do you mean?" Han asked.

"I don't need it anymore. Although it is useless to me, it can still be useful for you."

Han was aware of Ailee intention of offering Hayoon a new identity, and the risk she had taken to deceive the emperor. If the emperor learned the truth, Han couldn't imagine what will to Ailee.

"Why are you helping me to this extent?"

"To make you indebted,"

"Even without this, I'm already deeply indebted to you,"

"Is that your way of rejecting my offer?"

Ailee was indeed sharp, she was able to read him just like an open book. Sh had done so much for him that he didn't know how to pay her back. Of course Han had a conscience, he couldn't keep receiving while knowing that he could never give her anything in return.

Rejection was another thing Ailee rarely crossed by. During the years in the palace, Ailee had countless experiences of people coming to ask her for favors but there wasn't many that she wanted to help. Han was among the few that she voluntarily reached out for, and was also the only one that had rejected her help. Strangely, it made her want to help him even more.

But then, the time had come where she didn't have to worry about Han anymore. Was it strange, that she felt a little sad at this moment?

.

.

.

Hayoon was slowly awakened by the light of the sun, that gently tapped on her eyelids. Today was supposed to be the day they were leaving the palace, but at the same time it also felt like any other day. Reality would probably first hit, when they were leaving the palace walls.

After getting herself changed they were ready to set off. Walking through the hall way, Hayoon could hardly believe that this was the last time she would see this place.

The carriage they would be riding was a small one, but it was more than enough for both of them to sit inside it.

Hayoon and Han approached the carriage that was placed amidst the deserted courtyard. At this hour, people were probably still at sleep or just about to wake up. Hayoon actually preferred like this, It was probably also Han's intention to leave peacefully without making a commotion out of it.

The carriage driver greeted them and opened the door. Han reached her a hand, and helped Hayoon enter. The courtyard was vacant, maybe only a few guards were passing on a routinely stroll, but yet Hayoon felt as if someone was watching them.

Maybe it is just a feeling. Hayoon thought.

Assuming that it might be the shadow guards, Hayoon brushed the feeling off. Han soon entered the carriage and seated himself close to Hayoon and it wasn't long before the carriage started moving too.

The trip ahead was long so it was all for the best that they travelled this early. There was less people on the road and it was also pleasant with the cool temperature.

They were both tired in the morning and didn't say much. They both rested the first couple of hours and woke up when the heat from the sun made carriage filled with hot air.

Hayoon opened the wooden window a little hoping that it would give them a little breeze.

"Han," She said, checking if he was awake. Han had kept his eyes closed most of the time, so Hayoon didn't know if he was sleeping or not.

"Hm?" He replied instantly.

"Are you tired?"

"No." Han replied but instantly changed his answer.

"Maybe a little,"

From the way he spoke, Hayoon could tell that he was wide awake.

"I'll let the window open for a little while, is it okay with you?"

"Yes,"

"By the way," Hayoon sounded as if she was being cautious.

"What?" He asked.

"Earlier this morning where did you go?"

"Hm?"

"I woke up, and you weren't."

"You woke up when I was gone? I thought you were sleeping."

"It was only briefly. I fell asleep right after, but I noticed you were gone,"

"There was something I had to take care of." Han replied.

What was that? Hayoon wanted to ask but refrained herself from doing so.

"I thought you took care of everything yesterday?" Hayoon noted.

"I forgot to do that,"

"I see."

Han had never been detailed with his answers, and Hayoon was used to him replying in this way. But at the same time she couldn't help but feel slight disappointed.

Hayoon wasn't trying to prey, but his vague answer always left her empty. This time she felt especially hurt, cause Hayoon was well aware of where Han had been.

Hayoon woke up this morning earlier than usual. She wanted to ask the maid to deliver something to the empress.  Han wasn't in bed either, so it was a great timing for Hayoon to look for the empress' personal maid, and ask her to deliver Hayoon's letter.

On her way back after seeing the empress maid, Hayoon happened to see Han and Ailee together. They were talking outside the royal chamber, meaning they wouldn't be talking for long. When Hayoon got a glimpse at them parting she hurried back to Han's chamber and told the maids to keep it a secret that she had left the chamber.

When Han returned Hayoon was laying in bed in her undergarments, so it was natural that he thought she had been sleeping the whole time.

Hayoon felt that Han was keeping something from her and it was sadly not the first time she had experienced this.

A/N: It has been a long time right guys? Graduating made life a lot more stressed than I thought and a lot of events happened the past months.  Okay I can't believe it is already spring. Times just flies.

I was going to update after writing the rest of the story but as I promised to update this week to some of you, here it is.💛

Thanks for reading and don't forget to hit the ⭐️ if you liked the chapters.