T W E N T Y N I N E

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y N I N E

When Hayoon again raised her head from the floor, the court hall went silent as a graveyard. Facing the Emperor her eyes showed a glint of mischief, the corner of it sharpened with the smile forming under the veil.

"Let us know your decision child," The Emperor said ever so kindly.

Gliding her eyes to the row of princes Hayoon took her time to engrave the many faces as if she was still unsure, which definitely was not the case. Only the Emperor wore a calm smile, the women on both sides on his throne was less pleased with the killing silence. The Dowager with her hawk's eyes and the Empress with the anxiety that ripped its way through her shaky eyes.

"Your Majesty," Hayoon paused faking a little timidity.

"Speak child,"

"The one I choose is not present," Hayoon said, causing the Emperor to flash a brief frown. All his sons were apparent yet who was Hayoon referring? He's expression darkened a shade as if he was insulted by Hayoon's remark.

"Is no princes from Great Yong comparable with her Majesty?" His words instantly turned distant.

"Coming with the purpose of alianced marriage, Of course, Hayoon would choose one from Great Yong."

"But none of my princes is the chosen?"

"Not the ones present," Hayoon said back, her tone calm.

"Eunuch Go, is there any absent princes in today's court?" The Emperor regarded his personal servant. The old Eunuch inclined his head in a bow not daring to face the Emperor.

"Of course not His Majesty, only Prince Hyun was absent to recently," The Eunuch said in shaking nervousness. Turning back at Hayoon the Emperor stroke his beard while taking a second to capture her intense gaze.

"Child," the man went back using his affectionate tone.

"Being in the palace in couples of days you've only acquainted Han," The Emperor made a short pause, deliberately skipping the detail of Hayoon meeting Hyun yesterday, averting all the resentment of the princes towards Han.

"In the short amount of time, you never left the chamber to even have a chance to meet my other princes, yet you insist that the chosen one is not present. Are you saying I'm not capable of remembering my own children?" Everyone one was oblivious of the smile on the Emperor's face; even the Dowager couldn't read the expression of her own son. It was as if Hayoon and the man spoke in a different language, a language exchanged with their gaze.

"Who is the one not present?" The Emperor states more than questioned.

"The Crown prince."

The Emperor's resonating laughter filled the court. No one besides the powerful man was allowed the privilege to find this amusing; the Dowager was struggling to keep on her solemn expression while the Empress' eyes said more than words. Stunned by Hayoon's bold statement the officials and princes were at lost of words, only Hyun was laid back with a little confident grin.

Despite being up in his age, the Emperor was healthy and sound; Great Yong was blessed with prospering royalities, but even till present no princes has bestowed the title of a crown prince. Yet Hayoon was bold enough to make such an ambiguous claim. Wiping the tears at the edge of his wrinkled eyes the Emperor then took a stabilising breath before regarding Hayoon.

"Child do you know what you are up to?" The Emperor said between refrained smiles.

"Yes your majesty."