F O U R T Y F O UR

C H A P T E R F O U R T Y F O U R

From afar Han already spotted the little figure approaching, her white clothing and the veil that only allowed her eyes to get admired. For good seconds his gaze was unconditionally drawn to Hayoon. He saw her stopping up, scrutinizing the view without making an effort to get closer. Beside her was Yoon, the maiden who followed as a permanent shadow.

Though lingering, Han couldn't let his stare still for more than a couple of moments, if he didn't want to get caught. And so Han would follow Huai ,walking beside her with a gentle smile as if he hadn't notice Hayoon from the beginning.

Wasn't Huai blinded by the prince's accompany, she might have a chance to spot Hayoon or caught the deep gaze in Han's eyes capturing Hayoon within it. But no Huai was so absorbed in the good mood that she didn't notice what happened around her.

Han gathered his thoughts, trying not to look elsewhere than at princess Huai. Yet, despite his attempts, his own mind betrayed him. Han was obviously walking beside princess Huai, his hearing was served with her soft voice, but before his eyes was the view of Hayoon smiling at him with a crescent smile.

"His Highness," the soft voice called him. It was Huai, but her expression was masked with the face of Hayoon.

"Why isn't there any flowers in this yard?" Huai asked. The question made his thoughts stop. It wasn't because he didn't know the answer, he just didn't know how to say the words. It was a memory which he didn't want to recall, yet was forced to by the simple question of the princess.

"This palace was once my mother's place. She loved cherry blossom, hence the Emperor only planted blossom trees here."

Though Huai hasn't met the Emperor yet, she could tell he was a romantist, yet she couldn't understand why the place was so deserted and wild now. It seemed like a forest that had grown without the care of the man creating it.

Reminiscing the scene of prince's Hyun's delicate garden with both rose bushes and lotus flowers , Huai couldn't help but feel nostalgic by the view before her. Was this the Emperor way of showing his affection, it was truly a cruel method in doing so.

"Your Highness..." Huai said with decreasing volume.

"Princess, It is already midday, you should head back and get yourself prepared for the consort contest." Huai's maid interrupted. Han gave the understanding look to Huai, while the princess still bore the look of a person with a million question.

"Thanks for accompanying me," Huai said as if hesitating.

"It's my pleasure," Han placed his arm across his chest as he sends her a formal greeting.

"I'll take my leave then, wish his highness a pleasant day,"

When Huai was gone, the spot Hayoon stood at was also left empty.

.

.

Just as Huai, Hayoon got dressed to attend the Consort contest. She passed the garden on her way, which proved to be a grave mistake. When she was supposed to continue her path and head to the gathering as any other princess, her steps lost it pace when she spotted the prince sitting beneath the ever so familiar blossom tree. Han sat there with his eyes closed, underneath the tree that lacked the air of spring but compensated with a breezing shadow.

Yoon followed Hayoon's eyes, and spotted the sleeping prince. Though Yoon also wondered why the prince would rest in the open garden than his comfortable chambers, she had no time to feed her curiosity. The contest was of time, and sure the Empress dowager was not known for her patience.

"We will be late..." Yoon said, reminding Hayoon to come back in track.

"Fine, lets go."

.

.

While the sun crossed the field on the sky, it's light spot on earth also moved. The shadow falling to west was slowly rotating in accordance to the sun's movement. The shadow from the tree has long left its guard and Han was exposed for the sun light.

Just then, when the light was reaching the point of bringing his flesh at harm a girl appeared shielding his view with her entire shadow. Though the contemporary comfortableness eases the sensation on his skin, the sun had long imprinted a triggering irritation, causing his conscious to awake.

His eyelids parted and he looked up at the giant figure who looked grander from his perspective. Due to the sun's ray he could barely skim her figure while not being able to see her face.

When the girl crouched down, meeting his level Han then realised that it was Hayoon. He wondered if this was just another illusion just as the many he had had before. Even when walking beside Huai he couldn't even tell her apart from Hayoon, then equally the person before his eyes could actually be anyone.

He wasn't served with his hearing, hence wouldn't let his view deceive him. It was probably just a piece of hallucination since the girl was simply staring at him without saying a word, Han returned with same gesture. She didn't blink her eyes but simply preserved the eye contact and for long the two people simply stared at one another without exchanging a single air.

"What kind of dream is this...." Disbelief rang in his tone. Han was bitterly convinced that the girl before him impossibly could be Hayoon, she was supposed to be at the consort contest meeting with the dowager and the Empress not wasting her time here. Gradually he turned slightly amused by the thought, by his foolish self that had created him a figure of comfort.

"Even in your dreams am I to appear with this uncomfortable veil?" The girl pointed a finger at the silk veil on her face, finally breaking the ice of silence.