E I G H T Y S E V E N

C H A P T E R   E I G T Y S E V E N

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS THEMES OF DEPRESSION, READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED

At a pace that wasn't too fast or too slow, walked a single soul alone in the thick fog of darkness. He didn't know where his destination was but he kept walking, walking endlessly to wherever his feet brought him.

Then suddenly, at the distance, a light was faintly flickering in the pitch blackness. Curious of the source, he tilted his head, eyes narrowing as he looked at it. The distance between it decreased with every step he took, and then eventually he realized what it was.

The little flame was from the lantern, a white lantern which was held by the hand of an old monk. Lifting his head, the prince then glanced at the old monk, who was welcoming his view with a heartwarming smile.

"Head monk?" Han said, his voice rang with suspicion.

"Good evening, His highness," The smile spread wider, making wrinkles appear on the old man's face.

"I...I thought you were dead?"

The monk didn't deny. His smile faded into a faint one, his crescent eyes held nostalgia as if he was apologizing to Han. The old man then pointed ahead with the lantern in his hand and Han understood that the monk was asking him to follow. It wasn't because Han didn't know where they were heading, if any he was well aware of it.

The silence fell upon them for quite a while, but eventually, the head monk took the initiative to break the ice.

"How have you been his highness?"

After hearing the question Han pondered for some time before coming with an answer.

"There has been up and downs.... I'm not quite sure how it had been." Han regretfully admitted. "At some point, a day felt too long, and then at other, the sun has set faster than I expected it to."

"Time is quite an interesting thing," The monk continued, "I suppose there was a difference between those days. Like the scenery, or maybe the people around you?"

Han couldn't deny the truth. Indeed, those days were very different.

It has been long since Han had such a light conversation. A trivial question, like 'how have you been doing?', Han couldn't remember when he last heard that.

That simple question held a surprising power, chasing away the loneliness that had surrounded his heart, bringing an unbelievable sense of warmth. Han felt a sense of lightness as if a heavy load he had carried was lifted from his shoulder.

"His highness looks too much at ease, although knowing where I am taking you,"

"Since I got to see you again, I should enjoy it as much as I can. Head monk always told me not to miss the journey for the sake of the destination." His tone was lighthearted just like the smile on his lips.

"Even so, you look too comfortable that this old monk couldn't help but notice. I know his highness has always been fearless, but I wouldn't expect you to be so indifferent in the eye of death."

It could sound doubtful, but Han was actually at peace.

"Death is a natural course. Even I am no exception." Han spoke lightly.

Actually Han has been curious too, why he hadn't died yet, compared to how many times death has knocked on his door. Why was he still alive? Maybe he is really cursed, just like the Empress Dowager said?

Han still remembers the horrified eyes of the Empress dowager when she visited him after a week, thinking that starvation would erase his existence from earth's surface; he also remembered the princes' shock, when he didn't die by their poison and returned alive.