N I N E T Y F O U R

C H A P T E R    N I N Y T Y F O U R

The emperor sat at his table going through mountains of paper scrolls as the eunuch entered.

"Greeting your majesty,"

Lifting his brows the emperor briefly looked up from his paper before he continued reading the scrolls. The eunuch stood with lowered back and raised his cupped fist, not daring to let them down before the emperor gave him the permission to. But even after reading two scrolls of paper, the emperor didn't even say a word. When the emperor proceeded to read his fifth scroll, the eunuch's arms started trembling, and he had to bite his lips to suppress the groan from escaping his mouth.

After finishing his sixth scroll the emperor finally spared him a glance. A smug grin took form on his lips before he with a wave of his hand dismissed the eunuch from standing in ceremony.

"What proposal would you have? Didn't I order you to free that maid?" The emperor said whilst reading through the seventh scroll.

"Reporting to his majesty," The eunuch said after swallowing. "When I came to the dungeon, the maid was already gone."

"Gone?" The eunuch felt the emperor's dark expression falling on him. It made him even more nervous. He wished the emperor could just go back to ignoring him and continue reading his paper scrolls.

"What do you mean by gone?" The emperor asked.

"His.... His highness entered the dungeon and took the maid away, his majesty."

When hearing the thump of the emperor's paper scroll falling to the table, the eunuch flinched in response.

"He dares break into my dungeon?" Knowing that he wasn't asking to get an answer, the eunuch simply lowered his head.

"He must be tired of living," A cold laughter erupted from the emperor's mouth.

The doors opened as another servant entered the room.

"His majesty, prince Han wants to seek your audience,"

He personally came? How convenient. The emperor mentally thought.

"Let's see what he have to say,"

The doors were opened as Han entered the emperor's spacious study room. Han greeted the emperor, placing his arm across his chest as he slightly lowered his back.

"Greetings his majesty," Han said.

The emperor dismissed his servants, made them leave the room so he could be alone with the prince. He then walked towards Han, standing close to him as he looked the prince up and down.

"What a surprise to have you here," The emperor scoffed. "I thought you would already be at somewhere I can't find,"

"I ask for your mercy,"

"YOU violated the laws! Broke into my dungeon! Kidnapped my prisoner! And now you are asking me for mercy?! Is the law that laughable to you?"

Not once had Han violated the law. Not even when his own life was on the line. The emperor more than anyone knows that. When Hyun was still a prince he had witnessed Han standing there unfaced by death when an executor raised his sword at him. But not even when he was about to die did Han resist, but now, he violated the rules just for a mere girl that was under investigation?

"I'll take whatever punishment, but I won't let his majesty take her again. She is my maid, my people. I will punish her according to the rules if she did wrong. But as far as I know, the investigation is still ongoing, meaning that his majesty don't have the evidence against her,"