HUNDRED AND SIXTEEN

C H A P T E R H U N D R E D A N D S I X T E E N

When arriving at the palace, Han didn't seek the emperor's audience but went straight to the dungeon. The distressed expression accounted for the anxiety he felt when riding through the night to get here.

The ride felt like an eternity. Despite how fast he forced the horse, it still couldn't go fast enough. Han regretted sending Ki-Young ahead to the palace, to escort the foreign lady. Had he not done that, Hayoon wouldn't be taking away so easily.

If just Ki Young was there, Han would still have a chance to speak with Hayoon, he would still be able to confront her and speak with her, in an environment that didn't threaten her life. If just he wasn't too late.

The corridors of the dungeon echoed with his fast steps. Torches were lit up and attached to the wall to brighten up the small corridors. Flames from the torches flickered one after another, as Han passed them by.

Just now, his steps were the only sound disrupting the peace of the night but a light gasp suddenly broke out from the end of the corridor. It caused his eyes to flare up in anger. Eating the distance with long steps Han reached the cell where the sound erupted from.

Two guards were holding buckets of water, one was throwing the bucket in the face of the tied-up maid, while the other guard turned around to see who arrived. Her head was hanging and she was soaked from head to toe.

Upon seeing the terrifying anger on Han's face, the guard lost his grip on the bucket of water. The bucket crashed against the floor with a loud clang.

"His highness," The guard uttered, causing his fellow to broke out in cold sweat to the point he didn't dare to turn around to look at Han.

The guard didn't know what hit him, but in a split second, he found himself on the floor with the prince's foot pinned to his chest.

"We only did as the emperor instructed, his highness" The other guard pleaded.

"Please show mercy."

"Release her this instant!" Han roared.

Han's eyes showed murderous intent. His foot pressured down on the guard's chest till another color shaded the guard's face. Even if the guard under his foot was trying to beg for forgiveness, no sound escaped his mouth.

Immediately the other guard grabbed the keys and released Hayoon from the chains. He supported the unconscious Hayoon, and let her rest with her back against the wall.

"Prince Han," A voice called Han. Too lost in his own thoughts, Han didn't even notice that the emperor was arrived.

Han turned around to face the emperor. He removed his foot from the guard, which was turning way too blue.

Usually, Han would greet the emperor, but this time not a single word came from his lips. He could only look at the emperor, with a suppressed anger. The furry caused his hand to turn restless.

"Isn't  this the second time you try to kidnap my prisoner?" the emperor lamented.

Han's hand balled up into a fist, causing his knuckles to turn white. Had it not been for the many years of endurance, Han wouldn't have learned to hold back like this.

"Then please enlighten me," Han said as the first thing.

"Were two men required, to interrogate a defenseless maiden?"

The prince's fierce eyes were something the emperor hadn't seen in a long time. Ever waking up, this is the first time the emperor had seen this spark in Han's eyes.