F I F T Y

C H A P T E R   F I F T Y

As usual Gwan was standing outside Han's chamber guarding the place as a trustworthy figure. When seeing Yoon the guard formally greeted her with a bow of his head. Usually Yoon would return with a warming smile, but today she simply made a slight bow of her head, with an unuasual cold attitude.

"Could I please speak with Prince Han?"

"I'll speak to the prince," Gwan replied.

For a while Yoon stood outside before the guard returned and opened the door for her to enter. Not to her surprise, the prince was already awaken, Han was fully dressed in his attires, his hair fell along his back with not a strand out of its place.

"Lady Yoon," Han said, greeting her with a bow as if he would with the royals. Yoon assumed him to greet her like this when he mistook her for being the ruler of Kang. Never did she expect he would greet her in this manner knowing she was only Hayoon's maid. The thought made her flattered and admire him even more.

"What I want to discuss with his highness is about Hayoon," Yoon said as the opening sentence.

"Is something wrong with her highness?" Han said, his brows drawn together. He wondered if Hayoon hasn't recovered from yesterday's incident.

"Actually Hayoon is having a hard time..." Yoon paused, carefully considering her next words.

"In fact she has been troubling with her feelings. BUT THERE IS NO NEED TO WORRY!" Yoon said fast as if stopping the prince from speaking.

"It was just a momentarily feeling which she would get a hold of. This will not affect the alliance marriage between the two nations. I've been consulting her and Hayoon knows that her future is with Great Yong's."

"Lady Yoon mean that her highness has been wavering? Was it one from the palace?"

"No, it's someone else, Hayoon had confessed it to me and I promised not to speak of that person's identity..."

Disappointment echoed in Han's eyes, if Yoon wasn't wrong it even seemed like Han looked hurt. His expression was as if his image of Hayoon was broken beyond repair. Maybe she made a mistake to ask him for help. What if he would think badly of Hayoon and get wrong idea? Would he look down on her, or would he still help?

Why didn't I think of all this before coming here? Yoon mentally scolded herself.

Somehow the prince's expression seemed troubled, nevertheless did he not disappoint her.

"What can I do to help?" Han asked to her delight.

"General Gwan oddly~ has many resembles of that person," Yoon spoke dragging the word.

"It would be a great help if the general could keep his distance away from Hayoon for the time being. This of course has nothing with General Gwan personally, but..." Yoon said in low tone, afraid that Gwan would hear.

Afraid that her statement would offend Han, Yoon couldn't make herself face him while talking. She only now raised her head as Han had taking too long to answer her question. Lifting her gaze, the prince's gloomy expression greeted her field of view.

The emotionless expression on Han surprised her, it was as if Yoon had just made the riskiest request ever, by asking the prince to get rid of his personal guard.

"If that isn't-"

"No, I'm sorry lady Yoon.." Han interrupted. "I must have been lost in thoughts. I'll make Gwan keep a distance to Her highness. If that could help her to forget."

"Thanks his highness."

I knew I could count on you!

"then I'll make my leave-"

"Who is that person?" Han spoke. The words ahead of his thoughtfulness.

"Even if I tell... his highness wouldn't know," Yoon made a short pause. "He is not one among the princes. But please don't take it to heart, I'm sure Hayoon will get over it very soon and get back in track.... I have to get back to my chamber before Hayoon wakes up, could his highness please keep it a secret that I have been here?"

"Of course my lady," Han said, biding his farewell. His tone was much different from the vibrant one just earlier. In fact, Han seemed like he was completely lost in unknown land. Indeed, if Yoon was in his position she would be shocked too.

Yoon took off and left the room. Outside was Gwan standing, holding the doors open for her to exit. Gwan made a respectful bow, much more formal than he did earlier as if that would earn him a better impression on Yoon, since he noticed how cold she was earlier. But to no difference Yoon simply regarded him an insincere bow before walking away.

Gwan wondered in which way he had offended Yoon, to the point she had turned colder than ice. Gwan remembered Hayoon to be the rude master, while her maid servant, Yoon, was the gentle lady. But just a moment ago, it seemed like Yoon had been possessed, being all cold and distant.

Despite the increasing distance, Yoon still felt the burning gaze of Gwan behind her back. Suddenly she felt a little guilt, for acting that rash and indecent to one who hasn't wronged her or any other for that sake. For a moment she let her emotion cloud her decision and acted rude to the poor general.

It isn't like it is his fault that Hayoon fell for him, he probably doesn't even know it. Yoon sighed, shaking her head in the progress.

Get a hold of yourself Yoon! This is no time to pity the General. You already showed him mercy by not mentioning his name for Prince Han. You actually could be called his savour! If it wasn't for you, General Gwan could actually be punished for treason!

Regretfulness washed over Yoon. If she just had realised this earlier then maybe Hayoon wouldn't get hurt and Gwan wouldn't get involved. Had she just been a little quicker maybe she would notice why Hayoon was sad when the general was returning to the border. Or when Hayoon asked Han to make the princes stay away from her.

Hayoon had probably long falling for Gwan without knowing. Yoon sighed again.

If it wasn't for yesterday's incident Yoon would probably still be oblivious of everything. The way Hayoon reacted when knowing the medicine was send by Gwan, Hayoon's expression was still vivid in Yoon's mind.

Poor Hayoon, she was probably troubled with her feelings for one of different status...

Yoon had mistakenly misunderstood Hayoon for falling for Gwan, while in fact the one Hayoon cared for was the reserved prince, called Han.