TEN

C H A P T E R T E N

The view of the capital was as beautiful as a painting. People colored the streets with laughter and murmuring, kids were running in the streets in flocks ignoring the angry eyes of those they bumped into. Lanterns hang on the rough thread from the buildings on both side of the roads and lit up every corner the glimmering moon didn't reach.

Hayoon was dressed in long white robes, with a veil hat she strolled the streets with lenient steps. Vendors from both sides of the roads entuastically welcomed customers, but all she could do was looking at the objects and then pass them by. The little sack hanging on the white belt around her waist was too light, if she didn't want to sleep on the streets for the night, she had to be wise.

"This special drink will help you escape your agony! Just the smell will free you from all your worries! A shot will make you forget the sorrow! A bottle and the world would look much more beautiful!"

A little girl was already busy chanting, but no one approached to look at the item for sell. Not getting the attention of the passerby the girl stood up and approached people.

"Sis, please have a look." The little girl grabbed Hayoon's hand and pulled her to the little vendor. Now did Hayoon see why people was only passing by and not giving a look. The bottles wasn't fancifully presented as many others places. It wasn't even placed on a table but on the ground on top of an old blanket. A man with a baleful posture was sitting on the ground with his arm crossed behind the goods, he didn't look quite welcoming to be honest.

Looking down at the little girl with messy buns, a feel of pity formed. Hayoon would just walk away if it was others vendors tried to make her buy their stuff, but the little girl made it hard for her to deny, let alone ignore. She bent down and lifted the white transparent veil so the little girl met her eyes.

"I... I don't have any..."

"But it's not expensive sis, it's just-," the girl counted her fingers and held up five. "5 coins."

"Don't waste your energy Ji Ahn, we don't need money from such people." The young man spoke up and moved a bit.

"Big brother..." The little girl said delighted and ran back to support the man.

"Such people?" Hayoon retorted in a harsh tone.

"People who throw a fortune on an useless hairpin but can't live without a couple of coins, you are such people."

Hayoon detested the man with prejudices towards the person he just met. She wasn't one of those girls. She would never throw a fortune to buy a hairpin, she already had chests full of those useless things.

"What about you who is just sitting there letting your little sister do the hard work?"

"You-!"

"You what?!?" She threw back. The little girl giggled light, seeing her brother turning completely red. Hayoon smiled confidently, proud to leave the foul-mouthed man speechless. She then beckoned the little girl, who fastly ran to her side.

"Ji Ahn! Where are you going?!" Her brother yelled and looked around. Hayoon frowned seeing the sight of the brother furiously looking around for the sister, who was just right in front of him.

First now did Hayoon understood that he wasn't just sitting there for leisure but was still because he was surrounded by darkness. Her lips tightened into a thin line, while her hand untied the knot of the red thread hanging on her waist.

"For you" Hayoon said giving the girl a red threaded ornament with a jade stone in the middle. She had had it since she could remember. Whenever she snuck out of the palace, she will bring it with her as a lucky charm.

"This is too ....shiny woaah.." The little girl, said a glimmer of admire flashed as she saw the ornament.

"Don't you dare take anything Ahn Ji Ahn!" Her brother yelled.

"Shut up! I'm not talking to you!" Hayoon angrily yelled at the bothersome guy, who turned silent an instant.

"Listen... Ji Ahn" The girl lit up as Hayoon called her name in a whisper.
"You can go to a pawnshop, unless you get 1000 silver coins, don't think of selling it, okay?" Ji Ahn nodded vigorously.

"Good girl" Hayoon stroke Ji Ahn's hair, the girl smiled while holding the ornament. "And don't tell your brother, he don't know how to use his brain." Ji Ahn giggled with her hands held up to her mouth, her shoulder rose and sank in the motion.

"It's getting dark, I need to go, Goodbye Ji Ahn-ah." Hayoon stood up and set off. The little girl bobbed her head in a light bow and waved Hayoon goodbye.

The night consumed the sky in a flash of time. Hayoon strolled through the most desolated streets, trying to find a place with low prices for a one night stay. Everywhere has she been rejected, no one was willing to let her stay for only 3 coins.

The many guards in flock strolling through the streets made Hayoon vary. They looked with inspecting eyes at the citizens as if they were looking for someone, her being that someone wasn't out of option. Afraid that she would attract attention she didn't even dare to run, only walking with long steps. She had to find a place to hide.

An inn was welcoming her sight of view, she let out a relieved exhale as she entered the building without having people following behind. She walked with light steps towards the desk.

"A room please." Hayoon said to the woman at the desk table.

"10 silver coins." The woman said smiling.

"I...I only have 3...." Hayoon said.

"Then you can't rent a room." The woman's smile went to a straight face.

"Don't you have a cheaper room?" Hayoon asked.

"There is but I'm not sure if young miss would like it." THe woman sighed excessively.

"Anything would do, I just need a place to rest."

With that Hayoon paid three coins and was permitted a room on the first floor. Sure it wasn't luxurious as the one she was provided while traveling with Han, but it was bearable. She even thought three coins was too cheap for this room. It did seem a little dark with no candlelight or table but at least there was a window. Hayoon lifted the veil curtains of the bed. There was even two blanket and two pillows?

Without any alert the door suddenly opened making Hayoon flinch. Her eyes grew big in shock as a man was standing with his back facing her. His back leaned against the door as he let out an exhausted sigh. Their eyes met as he raised his head from looking at the floor. Hayoon was about to scream but the man hurriedly ran to her and covered her mouth.

With her elbow she punched him in the ribs, making the man crumble down, he let out a painful groan, his hand wrapped around his body as he tried to suppress the pain. His weight fell on Hayoon making her fall on the bed with him on top of her. Her hat veil fell to the ground, revealing her shocked expression with big round eyes.

In reflex she pushed the stranger off her body. Painful cries escaped as a refrained groan as he fell to the ground. As she took her hands to wrap around her own body, a metallic smell entered her nostril, that's when she realized her hand was stained with blood.

The man on the ground coughed hard and suddenly blood made its way from his mouth. Her hands went to cover her mouth from screaming.

"Is everything okay in there?" A voice came outside the room.

"Anyone inside?" The outsider asked repeatedly. Since no answer was received he was about to barge in.

"Everything is fine!" Hayoon said just in time.

"Are you sure my lady? I heard some weird sounds inside?"

"I..I just tripped... but I'm fine."

Well, he is the one lying in a pool of blood...

A/N: have a nice weekend ^^