F O U R T Y F I V E

C H A P T E R   F O U R T Y F I V E

What Han thought was an imaginary figure proved to be a creation of reality. Letting his gaze wander through the scenery Han spotted Yoon, the maid that stood couple ten meters away guarding their surrounding from unannounced company.

"What is her highness doing here?" While his intent was of pure curiosity his words echoed with indifferent resonant. Han's eyes were a mirror of his voice, emptied from detective scrutiny. It caused Hayoon to ponder the reason behind his coldness. He had no problem approaching her when she was a disguised guard, why was she that hard to accompany when her identity was revealed?

Maybe Hyun was right.

Her impression on Han was maybe just a nuisance. The thought made her intimidated and vulnerable to his hard stare. It was hard to hold the eye-contact, yet she didn't want to show that she was weak in front of him. Her mind has been occupied the whole day, thinking of any excuse that could give her reason to approach him. Maybe she should just swallow her pride and ask him to return the ornament. Or maybe just demand an answer of why he left without saying a word.

Hayoon would never realize what she felt was guilt. That she was at guilt for blaming him for brutality, when he never killed the one she thought he did. That he used his reward from the royal hunt on her when he could get anything with that rare opportunity.

Hayoon would never know that this feeling was of one she couldn't get off if not confronting it.

Han looked at her with questioning eyes, waiting for a reply that long passed beyond the time he was used to. Yet he wasn't as impatient as Hyun, he was waiting, giving the time that required for her to come up with an reply.

"You... are not sick or anything right?"

"Why would I be sick?" Han answered.

Replying with another question was just a strategy to avoid answering. Hayoon was more than familiar with that method. The tactic was more effective than any lie, cause when spinning a lie, you'll eventually get caught in its web.

"Why would her highness ask that?"

"Yoon was worried," Hayoon declared.

For one that was supposed to be worried, Yoon seemed more interested in the ant running on the bridge of her fingers.

"My gratitude for the concern, but there is nothing wrong." Han said, drawing his eyes back to Hayoon.

"Are you really fine?"

"And if I am?"

"If you are fine will you then return to the border?"

"If her highness was asking when I could leave, you could just said so."

"No, I am asking you to stay."

Han's eyes filled with suspicion. It was the first time anyone ever said that sentence to him beside the Empress. Receiving those words was a weird feeling, one he wasn't familiar with at all. Han reminded himself not to be overthinking, the girl was hating him to her core, he shouldn't raise any expectation.

"I was pretty sure her highness wasn't fond of my company," Han said with a disbelieving grin tugging the corner of his lips. His grin reminded Hayoon of Hyun, with odd resemblance. The only difference was that she wasn't uncomfortable with Han at all. She didn't felt the threatening uneasiness and uncomfortable domineering vibe emitting as it did with his brother. With Han she felt safe and at ease.

"You still owe me three wishes, how could you go without fulfilling those demands?"

So it was that, everything was narrowed to debtor and creditor. Well he wasn't expecting anything. He had learned that long ago, no fails follow when you don't have any expectation.

"Those demands must really matter for her highness to miss out the consort contest to just remind me of it," Han said, bittersweet.

"Of course it matter, who knows when you would run away to the border without a notice,"

"I wasn't running away from anything."

"If not you should have said a word before leaving."

She was right.

"My apologise if that had caused the misunderstanding," his eyes genuine. If he was sorry for just causing her misunderstanding, he probably didn't left with a revengeful intent to let her die right? Was she just deceiving herself or was this his facade? Hayoon couldn't tell.

"Then you won't go without a notice right?"

"No, I won't make her highness mistake me for a liar."

"Since that is clear I will take my leave then..."

"If her highness had any demands I'm sure my brother would reach your expectations,"

As before his word held no intent. It was a mere statement of facts. If any Hyun could provide her anything even the impossible if that was the case. Hyun had status and power a thing Han would never get as much recognition for, despite how hard he tried. Though it seemed like an excuse, Han genuine meant it for the good. His brother was capable of thing while Han's sources were limited.

At the border Han received the news from the palace and was aware that Hayoon had moved to the grandeur wing of his brother upon his absence. He thought it was only for the better. His brother could provide a luxurious chamber with dozens of maids serving her every need. at every moment.

Hayoon was probably more comfortable at Hyun's place, wasn't that why she stayed there for so long? For over weeks did she stay there without trying to escape, but when she was at his place she didn't hesitate a second to run off when he didn't kept his eye on her.

With her back facing Han, he couldn't see the gloomy expression that had spread across her eyes. He wouldn't know what impact his word held, what images it brought up.

Memories Hayoon rather wanted to forget was again surfacing. Hyun's words that had carved a place in the deep corner of her mind. There was a voice inside her head that whispered wicked cries, that couldn't harm her physically but taunted her worse than any physical injury could inflict.

"You made the promise, the burden is yours," Hayoon spoke. Sensing the blaming tone, Han was just to say his reasons but Hayoon didn't left him a chance to.

"I'll take my leave now. I'm already late for the contest."