T W E N T Y T H R E E

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y T H R E E

The grip around her wrist was tight not to the point of hurting but enough to hold. Hayoon hostage. Every inch of her skin meeting Hyun's was paralyzed, then slowly transferred to an itching sensation. The running blood in her veins was soon filled with adrenaline that threatening to lose control any second. She reached the point of not caring about formalities or status.

"Let go of me." Cold as her voice intended, Hayoon regarded him the frost like gaze. Hyun didn't waver, his hand chained as locks around her tiny wrist didn't budge the slightest.

The space between them narrowed as Hyun ate the distance with a mere light step. His eyes looking at her was void of emotions. Hayoon twisted her hand, unsuccessfully trying to yank away the iron grip grounding her. Wrinkles appeared on the fair skin of her forehead, showing the struggle she had with getting free from his trap.

The color of his red attire cast a slight pinkish reflection on her white robes. The faint color flickered in the same movement as the benevolent flame of the candlelight. Hayoon gritted her teeth, her lips tightened to a thin line.

Hyun didn't even put an effort to keep her on track, in fact, she didn't even require him putting strength to it. With the left hand holding her wrist Hyun raised the other hand. The long finger reached out for her mask then trailed behind her head to the knotted tie. His move made her eyes lit up.

Hayoon fisted her hand, the one he didn't held. She was ready to throw him a punch yet just as she was about to release it Hyun caught it before she was even near his range of reach. Her fist trembled in his hand, just as hard as she was furious. Did everyone think she was such a pushover? One they could treat as they please just because she was a woman?

What surprised Hyun was the way Hayoon acted, the way he responded. She was everything he had predicted, he couldn't read her mind yet somehow prepared for the way she would act. She was so predictable yet at the same time made him feel otherwise. It was a strange feeling he couldn't put into his words. Her appearance distracted him to the point it was dangerous, taking a silent breath Hyun regained his control and brushed away the desired thought.

A light breeze wandered through the room, threatening the little candlelight to blow out yet it didn't. Hyun reached a hand behind her hair faster than she could digest what was happening. Grabbing the hairpin of her bun, his fingers folded around the stick and pulled it out of her tied hair. The bun rolled, cascaded down her back releasing the fine black hair. Hyun's gaze sharpened the iris of his eyes widened in a flash as he threw the hairpin towards the darkness.

A faint grunt was heard before a dark figure appeared and collapsed hard against the floor. The body embedded with the hairpin at the chest area spilled with blood that soon colored the floor with scarlet shade. As always Hyun was precise on the killing point.

Turning back at Hayoon he found her looking with expressionless features. She wasn't shocked nor appeared anything near affected by the scene, but only remained silent.

The doors suddenly opened while a screeching voice announced the appearance of the emperor. Soon an aged man entered with a flock of servants tailing his shadow, his robe was in richer scarlet, what was eye-catching was the golden dragon embroidered in golden threads along the hem of his sleeves.

The emperor's appearance didn't only surprise Hayoon but also Hyun. The emperor's eyes shifted to the corner and narrowed at the lifeless body, his eyes intensified at the red liquid leaking from the body with no sign of an end. The head eunuch horrified caught the scene and fastly ordered a guard to remove the body.

The emperor didn't say a word. As if he was silently apologising for the lack of security in this so-called palace. It was shameful and maybe even embarrassing.

"Greeting his majesty," Hyun said, as an attempt to cover up the incident by averting the attention to something different. The emperor gave him an approving nod, soon Hayoon also followed by curtsying with a light bow.

"What are you doing here my son?" The emperor regarded his question at Hyun.

"I have a proposal to make to his majesty, hence dared to disturb you in the middle of the night," Hyun said.

"You are forgiven, haven't you been here who would know what would happen to the regent of Kang." The emperor sighed deep.

"But for now I'll hear you propose at a later time." The emperor said.

"Of course your majesty," Hyun replied.

The emperor then turned at Hayoon, providing her with his full attention.

"My apologise your majesty, this emperor is ashamed to even face you." The emperor regarded his apology to Hayoon. His words stuck her a bit, it was the first time anyone else has regarded her as "majesty" beside the official of her own country, she was flattered that he regarded her as the same level as him despite her being a woman.

"No harm happened, your majesty shouldn't take it to heart." Hayoon replied softly. A smile of gratitude unfolded on his lips as Hayoon said those words.

"Eunuch Ho, send an edict summoning Han." The emperor said.

Not long after did Han appear, Hayoon was surprised, Gwan had said Han was unwell and didn't want to be disturbed, yet now Han appeared all fine and came just a little after being summoned.

"Your majesty." Han greeted the emperor, then turned his gaze at Hayoon. Lastly, his eyes went to Hyun, but no words came out. A disapproving expression unfolded at the emperor's face as he looked at Han, yet he kept his disapprove to heart.

"Where have you been Han?" The Emperor stated his tone near blaming.

"I've paid my visit to the empress, your majesty." Han said, his right arm crossed across his chest in a formal greeting. Hayoon caught the white bandage wrapped around his hand, so did Hyun and the emperor. The bandage covered the color of red that seemed to makes its ways to the outer layer.

"What happened to your hand?" The emperor said, scrutinized at the wounded hand. Hayoon noticed the little tension Hyun appeared yet remained silent.

"I was not focused while practicing and got injured," Han replied.

"Is it bad to the extent you have to delay your stay?"

People were expecting concerning words but was backlashed by the emperor's cold respond. Everyone was surprised near stunned by the unforeseen coldness, yet the only one that didn't appear to be was Han.

"I ordered you to protect the ruler of Kang, yet you left your post for personal matters? If it wasn't for Hyun she could have been killed." His voice laced with disappointment.

Hayoon couldn't find the comprehensive in the emperor's words if any she think Hyun wasn't any safer than the assassin. Then returning to the purpose of this meeting was because she wanted to meet Han. Hayoon didn't really find it urgent to met an old man in the middle of the night. Her only goal was speaking to the emperor so Gwan didn't have any excuse from letting her met Han, yet what is this unfolding to? She couldn't proceed what was happening yet it didn't seem as time had ever been to her favor, in addition, the emperor last words turned all her efforts to crumble into nothing in matter of seconds.

"You are dismissed from being her majesty's personal guard, as punishment of neglecting your duty, you'll have to return to the border right at the break of dawn."