F O U R T E E N

C H A P T E R     F O U R T E E N

Not too long after did a carriage come to pick them up. They were heading to the palace, knowing she wasn't able to fight Han, Hayoon followed. For now. Her drenched dress smeared with sand and dirt was heavily dragging her down, but still she rejected the hand of the carriage driver. Han as well without effort get on  the carriage with no assistance despite the quite big step.

All knowing they weren't on good terms, Han seated himself the furthest from the girl. With his arms crossed Han leaned against the wall, eyes closed as if he was sleeping. The carriage moved rocking the passengers inside it. The strong movements had no influence on the prince who was as pinned to the carriage wall. Hayoon only saw it as a good thing, it would be even better if he really fell asleep.

The rattle of the stone was soon harmonised by the sound of streaming  water, if Hayoon remember correctly it's due to the little well seperating the palace from the capital, meaning they were near the destination. The running stream muted every sound as they were on the bridge. Hayoon glanced at Han who looked like a bear sleeping in, to the point of having no idea of what happened around him.

This was her sign. Her foot took off to the door.

What she didn't know was Han being completely aware of her actions. His strong hand promptly grabbed the long sleeves then extended for her wrist and pulled her back. Her weak attempt of resistance was in vain, in a split of a second Hayoon found herself sitting next to Han. His calm gaze pierced her dark orbs, their faces right at each other, giving her no place to dogde his eyes.

"Let go," Hayoon sneered, pulling her hand but to no use.

"I've been warned that your highness wouldn't be easy," Han said, his eyes deadly cold.

"Never did I expect you to be foolish enough to try escaping me,"

"Were you me you would do the same," she said tone insulting.

"Your highness would probably kill yourself if you were me,"  Han barred back. Hayoon gritted her teeth, brows knitted as she fought to get her hand free from his grip but only made him tightened it. He pulled her closing the distance between them even more.

"I was supposed executed for not keeping my words to let the two nation regents meet. A regent who suddenly disappeared, caused me standing on the stage of the execution, and yet I came to save her" his eyes narrowed as sharp as a knife. Hayoon had no words that could defend her actions, she didn't knew her runaway would cause him that much harm.

"If you highness have the slightest bit of conscience, stay put till we reach the palace and meet the emperor," Han loosened the grip around Hayoon's wrist, the blood rushed as a stream making her hand hurt a bit.

"Would meeting the emperor change anything?" she said in spiteful manner.

"Why do your highness think I'm still alive?" Han asked the question she was least interested in. Dissappointed would be too dramatic a word, but he expected a bit reaction than just indifferent eyes.

"Let me put it in another way," a little pause followed as he looked at Hayoon deep in her eyes.

"Why hasn't Yoon showed up?" His word got her, provoking more than just a slight change in her expression. The arrogant smile stretched across his face as terror was evident in Hayoon's rounded eyes. Han just confirmed her terrifying speculations to be true, as if he could read her mind.

No, Yoon you didn't.... Hayoon could barely digest the situation, things has worsened more than she could ever imagine.

Yoon had fooled the Emperor, the court, everyone just to save Han.

"Before things get out of hand your highness have to meet the emperor and explain everything."

"Would his Majesty be understanding if I say the girl your majesty saw yesterday was fake, but let's call it even cause she saved your son from losing his head." Sarcasm echoed in every words.

"His majesty didn't saw her face," Han said stern, showing no reaction to her comment. "No one has seen the real face of the Kang Ruler." A frown brought upon Hayoon face, his explanation confused her even more.

"As an excuse of a being sick, Miss Yoon showed up with a mask, before anyone discover the truth, you have to reveal your face to his Majesty and bring things back to its order." Han added further.

It was his priority to bring her back before anyone else sees Hayoon's face. Luckily she has been wearing a veil hat, making the number of  people seeing her narrowed to only Ji Ahn.

"I have a condition, let Ji Ahn go"  Her one sentence caused a wave of disbelief surface.

"Your highness is in no position to negotiate," Han said.

"Can you guarantee, I won't flash this face for others to see before meeting the Emperor?"

"Your highness would never escape my view," his tone determined.

"I did it once, I can do it again,"

"If anything happens Miss Yoon would go down with my fall, are your highness willing to take the risk?" His tone gentle but words threatening, what he didn't expect was that Hayoon's harder than rock.

"That is her price to pay," Hayoon said frightening cold.

A price for saving the wrong person. Hayoon meant every word. She never cared for someone enough to be afraid of loosing them. She promised herself to never let anyone have such an important role in her life, cause giving her heart means she allowed them to break it.

Seeing her hardened expression made Han wonder, when he just thought he had figured her out, she simply surprises him.

"Your highness, we have a problem." The carriage driver interrupted and stopped the carriage.

"What is it?" Han glanced in the direction of the door.

"The security is tightened, the guards are ordered to inspect every passing vehicle before its allowed to pass the gate to the palace." Another Man whispered through the door, the voice was different from the driver's, this was of a young man, his voice still fresh but edged a hint of huskiness. Hayoon noticed the change, but Han didn't even seem surprised.

"I'll let the girl live" Han said, turning at Hayoon. A mischievous grin stretched across her scarlet lips.

"That ship sailed long ago," Hayoon replied, a scoffing smirk glimmered in the delicate eyes of the graceful ruler, as she saw Han frown, hands balled tight till his knuckles turned white.

"What is your highness' condition now?"

"This is one out of three," She wasn't going on easy on him. Han had to pay thrice or more, for threatening her, for even think that he could control her, for making her feel vulnerable and weak.

"I'm listening," His voice controlled.

"Firstly, I want Gwan."