F O U R T Y S I X

C H A P T E R   F O U R T Y S I X

For being late Hayoon earned the scorched attention, sure she always made her entrance unforgettable, not for the good reason but nonetheless. She left an even greater impression by being the first to leave. Hayoon made it pretty clear that she was the type to only do what she is required. Nothing less nor any beyond what she was asked to.

This time the contestants were tested for their skills in arts. The princess were given a week to make a painting. While the other maids was busy getting the materials for their princesses, Yoon was left with nothing but concern.

Will she hand in a blank canvas this time? Yoon didn't know if Hayoon was still testing her luck or had a real plan in mind. The square formed frame was still untouched and even gathered a little dust if Yoon wasn't wrong.

"Just out of curiosity...." Yoon bluntly noted.

"You are going to paint something right?" Yoon knew Hayoon was good at painting and that this was her ultimate opportunity to show off her skills. Correction. Skill. One and only beside being stubborn.

"Mm-hmm." Hayoon hummed in reply from the bed.

"And it's a paint people can see with their eyes right?"

"It's a paint for kind people to admire." Yoon was at lost. It was ridiculous that Hayoon would represent Kang as a lewd artist when they are known for being a place for artistic cultivation.

"Hayoon!" Yoon sighed of frustration and she wasn't alone in the reaction. Shooting up from the bed Hayoon turned at Yoon with despairing eyes.

"Then how about you give me the inspiration! The wrinkled woman asked me to paint the most beautiful thing in the world and it's not like painting her dried face would give me a pass right?!"

Hayoon actually didn't care about the contest in the beginning, but when the dowager promised granting the most skilled painter a wish, she was suddenly interested. Whatever it was she was going to return the favour to Han, in some way or another. She didn't like being indebted to anyone.

"Let's pretend you never said that." Yoon's voice softened.

"What do we do now?"

They had no plan. Not until night when Hayoon observed the stars did she get motivation to grab the pencil. Finally did she know what she would paint.

Once at her birthday, the king told the story which he had heard from the travelling storytellers. It was about a land far away, in which the sun, the moon and the stars was the exact same of their country, yet different. There, the night sky wasn't only pitch but was touched by strokes of glittering blueish glows. It was a phenomena which she had never seen despite how many nights counting the stars, yet the late king's telling was vivid and detailed that Hayoon had carved the fantasy in her mind.

Yoon helped Hayoon to retrieve the tools and colours and in no time Hayoon was able to bring her imagination to life. Only missing the crucial point.

"I need blue." Hayoon glances at Yoon.

"They don't have blue."

"Why not?"

"Maybe the other princess used it up, things happens when being late!" Yoon nagged.

"Then look for blue flowers, I'll just make the color myself."

But no matter how hard they tried to find it, there was no blue flower in the garden. In the end Hayoon turned to Han and asked for his help. He said he would get it for her but despite how long she waited he never showed up.

At the last Day Hayoon had to bring the dissatisfying painting to the contest. The words has spread far that Hayoon wasn't able to full end her painting, everyone knew cause Yoon has asked the other princess for sharing a little amount of blue color, though no one could give it to her.

On their way to the contest Hayoon stumbled upon the two maids, Yanlin and another. Judging by the painting in the maids hand and bowl of thick red watercolour in YanLin's possession, the two were apparently serving a princess. Someone obviously fell through the Dowager's inhuman eyes.

Yanlin curtsied, which was met by Hayoon's ignore. Hayoon walked just a few steps before a joyful voice halted her steps.

"Her highness!" Princess Huai chirped from behind them. Though she could ignore a maid, Hayoon couldn't possible do that to a princess.

"Can I see your painting? I'm so curious of what you've made?!" Huai approached Yoon and looked at the painting in her possession.

Surprise evident in Huai's eyes as Hayoon's picture wasn't what she had imagined. Despite its plainness Huai was still mesmerised by the style of painting.

"It's so pretty!" Huai clapped enthusiastic.

"Would her highness like to see mine?!!"

"Actually-"

"Here!" Huai pulled her maid out, sharing the picture she had painted.

"It's garden of roses. I've heard the Dowager really admires those delicate beauty! What do you think? Is it realistic?!"

Terrifying realistic. Seeing the many roses Hayoon nearly stepped back in horror.

"It's beautiful." Hayoon managed to say.

"I'm glad you think so! I was afraid I couldn't finish this on time! It's ridiculous how popular red is among the princesses! I don't even know if my painting will stand out like yours!" Huai exclaimed.

"If it wasn't for prince Han's help, princess Huai would have been in so much trouble for lacking the red watercolour!" Yanlin added, making Huai blush at the comment. Yanlin purposely said it out loud as if knowing it would inflict Hayoon, in a bad way.

Hayoon was sure her painting wasn't unrivalled just with her unfinished detail, but how come the one sentence made her feel as if she already lost before entering the competition.

Distracted by her own thoughts Hayoon didn't notice the glint in YanLin's eyes when staring at Hayoon's painting.

It was only when Yanlin made her move that Hayoon realised her ulterior motive.
The maid still held a grudge against Hayoon and indeed was waiting for the right moment to ruin her painting.