T H I R T Y S E V E N

C H A P T E R   T H I R T Y S E V E N

Hayoon didn't left her room after that night and for passing nights Hyun didn't pursue her either. Neither appetite or sleep came to her easily, which made the day longer than twenty four hours.

The banquet for the crown prince's consort got closer, by then Hayoon's face was only half its size, yet with the grand hair decoration and silk mask the changes were barely noticeable even for the keen eyes.

Hayoon wasn't the only foreign regent, princesses from the other regions were present, dressed in their national formal clothings, representing their country in both national colour and fashion. The smiling eyes never left their face, while they pridefully held their head high.

One princess especially caught Hayoon eyes. She looked somehow different from the others, her gesture seemed more powerful than the rest who seemed too innocent for their age. The princess seemed less tensed and more relaxed than the others. Her aura dominating but still there was the air of elegance and dignity surrounding her. Her hair was tied in a ponytail, unlike other who let their hair down or partly tied in a bun.

The princesses all stood in line waiting for the Empress and Dowager to enter hall. When the two powerful women walked in a wave of bow followed, not a single person raised their head before the Dowager gave permission to.

"You may take your seat," The dowager said as the opening sentence, before the palace maids escorted the princesses to the appointed table on both sides of the big hall.

To Hayoon's surprise she was seated next to the princess, who had caught her eyes. They exchanging a small incline of their head in greeting before taking the seat next to each other. While Hayoon greeted the other princess as a necessary out of manner the other princess held her gaze on Hayoon for seemingly longer minutes, as if she was scanning Hayoon. Hayoon often got that reaction for wearing her veil.

"Thank you all for coming, I know it might been a long travel for some of you," The dowager expressed a light smile before continuing.

"Consider this as a welcome banquet of Great Yong to show our gratefulness for all your efforts to come here, the formal election will take place next week when you have got some rest,"

Some blushed shyly in gratitude for the Dowager's consideration, Hayoon knew the words held more meaning than what they were told.

Before the banquet was put to an end the Dowager gave a question, in which the princesses were to answer before leaving. It was not in form of any formal test but still every princess put all their effort in giving a deep reply. There was no real answer making it less burdensome. The only condition was that if had to be a sincere answer.

While it took the other princess a lot of contemplating  Hayoon was done in just a couple of seconds. The princess next to Hayoon had only made a couple strokes yet Hayoon already handed her sheet of answer.

"Then Hayoon will excuse herself," Hayoon inclined her head with in a bow before making her leave. She was indeed the quickest of them all, making the audience curious of what her answer was.

When everyone was done the sheets was collected and handed over to head Eunuch. The princesses retreated to their assigned residents and as well did the Empress and the dowager.

"Did any of the princesses caught your eyes dear?" The Dowager spoke to the Empress as they were on their way back to the chamber.

"Every princess was outstanding and beautiful, it's hard for me to make a choice mother dowager." The dowager nodded agreeably, her wrinkles deepened as a smile formed on her lips.

"Indeed,"

"I'm looking forward to what they have wrote in their answer sheets Royal mother."

"This old dowager also can't wait to see what those young mind is thinking,"

At noon that day the Empress and Dowager was sitting reading through all the sheets. It was so entertaining that the Empress forgot about time, causing the curious Emperor to show up to see what was so entertaining that his Empress didn't return to her chambers.

"What is so entertaining that her royal Dowager and Empress didn't notice this Emperor coming?" The emperor said as he approached. He had purpose not let any of the maids announce his arrival, so he could tease the Empress, for her carelessness.

"Your majesty," the Empress said surprised. She was about to stand up and give a proper greeting but the Emperor prevented her from doing so. The affectionate act made the Dowager shake her head in disapproving manner.

"It's the sheets of answers from the princesses your majesty. Her Royal dowager gave them a question at the banquet today." The Empress proudly handed the sheet to the Emperor who sat next to her on the floor.

"What was the question her royal dowager?" The Emperor asked, through already being absorbed in reading the answer.

"This dowager invented a scenario, whereas the princess where to save only one person from drowning."

"Among three men that held importance in their life." The Empress continued.

"One their father, second their husband or third their emperor. Look her majesty, this is the answer of a princess called Yue ."

The Emperor, without the Emperor the nation would fall. From Princess Yue.

Reading the answer the Emperor smiled proudly. As he read through a couple of papers the emperor found it interesting, no wonder his wife couldn't take her eyes of this.

The husband, since he had the highest chance of survive. Princess Huai.

Honesty.

My apologies, but I can't make a decision. Princess Ky.

"And this your Majesty."

There is only one father in the world. Princess Ai.

"What a dangerous answer," The emperor grimaced, giving the Empress a cocky smile. Despite the dutiful message the answer also held the dangerous thought of a possible remarriage which wasn't quite a popular topic.

"Then your Majesty should look at this."

The Husband, as my husband would be the Emperor. Princess Feng.

"Courageous," The emperor chuckled.

The Emperor searched curiously for the sheet of the young Ruler of Kang. After all the Emperor had seen Hayoon for quite some time, and she had never failed in amusing him. The Emperor broke out in laughter as he read her reply. Indeed, she didn't disappoint him.

"What is so funny your Majesty?" The Empress asked curiously.

The Emperor gave his Empress the sheet. When seeing the name Hayoon, she knew that those mere letter was enough to make him smile. The emperor was quite fond of the lively girl. However when reading the sheet the Empress couldn't find the slightest point of amuse. Moreover she felt quite baffled and near offended.

"What did she wrote my dear?"

The Empress handed the Dowager the answer sheet which only has Hayoon's name at the bottom, while the rest of the paper was a blank sheet.

A/N: who would you choose?