H U N D R E D A N D E I G H T

C H A P T E R   HUNDREDANDEIGHT

"During the time my grandfather was a general, a soldier from his army caught his eyes. Grandfather wanted to introduce my mother to that man, thinking he was capable of making her happy. He brought the soldier home and my mother turned out to like that decision. They planned to get married, just when a royal edict summoned my mother to the palace. It was first then that my mother learned, that the soldier she had fallen in love with wasn't any ordinary man, but was a member of the royal family. She met him during her stay at the palace. When the emperor met her and bestowed her the edict to become a consort of a royal family member, mother thought that it was her lover, so she accepted the degree without a doubt."

Hayoon knew how the story would unfold. Han had once told her. His mother only realized when it was too late that she was mistaken. She wasn't getting married to the soldier she loved, but it was to the crown prince, Han's father. That was when the tragedy began. Han's mother didn't love the emperor, but her feelings were for his cousin.

Han's mother couldn't marry a man she didn't love, and not even met once even if that was a crown prince. She begged the emperor to reconsider, thinking of her father's achievement and let her free. At the time Han's mother hadn't seen Han's father yet, so she thought there wouldn't be a problem. The emperor rejected her and did what he could to cut the contact between her and Han's grandfather. She was like a caged bird.

When the wedding took place, Han's grandfather entered the palace but it was already too late to change anything. Seeing his only daughter unhappy and sad made Han's grandfather heartbroken. His grandfather treasured his mother more than anything in the world, to the point that he would rather raise her alone than taking in another wife after his first wife died.

Right after the wedding ceremony, Han's grandpa sought the emperor's audience to seek some justice for his daughter. But the meeting didn't have any good outcome. Han's grandfather was stripped from his position as the general and was forced to retire, due to unrespectful acting in front of the emperor.

Han's grandfather was in despair. All he wanted to do was seeing his daughter happy and that was his motivation to work harder, but all his efforts have turned in vain. He lost both his status and daughter at the same time. Han's grandpa was forced to return home and was granted this piece of land in exchange for his contribution to this country. The emperor said it was a gift, but in fact, it was no different from exile cause after that incident Han's grandpa wasn't allowed to enter the palace to see his daughter ever again.

Han's mother didn't know about this. She didn't know the father-in-law had cut all contacts from her family. She was working on her own to try to accept her husband, and when it seemed like things were getting better, Han's father learned the news about his mother's first love and that was when war broke out. The emperor didn't acknowledge Han ash his son and hence sent his mother to stay at a temple.

Han's mother was broken due to her husband's mistrust and jealousy. She had lost her husband's favor, a father to her son, and was abandoned to a place people wouldn't remember. Yet, her misfortune didn't end here. It was about this time that, Han's mother learned that his grandfather was forced to retire and were to step down from his position as the general. The one who told Han's mother this was the messenger, who had snuck into the temple to deliver the news that Han's grandfather had passed away. The longing for his daughter, turned him sick and weak.

"Mother said, that the time she stayed at this place was the happiest memory of her life. But it was the exact same place that grandpa was confined. Even though she missed it, she didn't have the courage to return to a place with so much memory,"

Hayoon was lost for words. She didn't know about this place, Han never told her about it before. Know she understood why he couldn't sleep last night. It must have been hard for him to return to this place.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Her eyes turned nostalgic. From his look, Hayoon could tell that this place reminded Han of his mother. Although he smiled, he didn't look happy. Hayoon wrapped her arms around Han, pulling him into a hug.

"It's all in the past," Han assured. "I'm fine."

Hayoon didn't have a mother and didn't know the pain of losing one, but seeing his saddening expression made her sad too. She knew he wasn't over it, his eyes said it all. He probably didn't know if himself and feigned ignorance to the pain.

Although people say that times heals every wound, Hayoon knew that the pain would still be there. The way he held her back, the way he borrowed a her shoulder and held for a long time told her, that he was having a hard time too. Even at the present day, Han was still hunted by the past.

.

.

This resident was bigger than Hayoon thought. The rooms she had explored were the main hall, a huge kitchen and three main sleeping chambers, a two sleeping hall for the servants. So far Hayoon had met three servants who greeted them welcome, but she was sure there was more.

Both Han and Hayoon were tired from the trip, hence they both were offered a warm bath upon arrival. Hayoon had just finished her bath and sat in front of a cobber mirror while brushing her hair. Hayoon heard footsteps outside her chamber.

When the doors opened, Hayoon thought it would be Han, who had finished his bath. She looked in the direction of the doors, upon hearing someone enter. Her round expectant eyes narrowed in confusion.

"Ki Young?" Hayoon exclaimed.

"It's quite offending that you don't sound happy at all," Ki Young replied with a cold expression.

"What are you doing here?" Her tone serious.

A/N: I hope you like the two updates💗 hit the star button if you did!💫