F O U R T Y E I G H T

C H A P T E R F OU R T Y E I G H T

Han took it as a sign of her approve for him to get a look. He kneeled down, lifting Hayoon's chin for further observation. A shaky breathe loosened from her side as if she was mentally preparing to expose the worst side of herself. Hayoon closed her eyes a last time before again opening to finally meet his eyes.

Han read vulnerability, for the first time did he sense such vibe coming from those eyes. It's wasn't the usual fierce gaze with determined strong will but rather the complete opposite. Her eyes reddened and pupils slight shaking.

In carefully manner his hand reached for the lash of her veil. Hayoon didn't confront his attempt nor did she seemed to hate the idea of him taking it off.

Han untied the knots of her veil and slowly the string loosened and the mask fell. The last time he saw her face was months ago when they were out of the palace, Han still remembered the memory clear and vivid. Her image was still intact only with a slight different.

Rashes has spread all the way from her neck and covered the left side of her cheeks, leaving marks of a light burn, but of one that wouldn't leave a scar. At least it didn't seem that serious.

"Are you satisfied now?" Hayoon reached out for the veil in his hand but Han didn't gave in to her attempt.

"Her highness should not use this. The material isn't clean and will only make it worse." Han hid the veil in the palm of his hand.

"I don't want others to see this."

"I can take her highness back to her chamber." Han suggested.

"People don't walk with closed eyes just because you are beside me."

It was as if her words held a humour of itself. If her eyes didn't play tricks on her it actually appeared as if Han was close to smiling.

"What is so funny?" Hayoon asked rather offended.

It was a rare sight Hayoon never had seen, and truly it wasn't a common view for anyone. Not even the Empress has seen Han's genuine smile beside the faint ones he made out of courtesy. The smile lasted a couple of second of pure disbelief and amuse.

"There's no need to worry of people's stare when walking with me," Han said, the smile still visible on his face.

"The servants never runs into my way,"

Hayoon didn't know if he was boasting or being confident. The thought never crossed her, that the servant would avoid running into Han's path. She'd had never walked with Han in the palace, hence had no idea that people from afar would rush away just by the faint sight of the silver blue colour.

Han escorted Hayoon back to her chamber and as predicted not a single soul passed their way. It was as walking in a deserted area. Standing by the front door of the chamber her feet was as glued to the floor.

The prince looked at her with expecting eyes as if knowing she had something in her mind, but for long Hayoon didn't satisfy his curiosity and just remained silent.

"If her highness don't have further instruction I will leave for you to rest," Han said making a light bow of his head. Just as he turned to leave Hayoon grabbed the elbow of his sleeve.