O N E

C H A P T E R   O N E

At her eighteenth spring the emperor passed away and she was bestowed the title as ruler of the nation Kang. Getting the throne handed down as a gift falling from the sky.

Some envied her. Some found her utterly lucky to the point it was a sore in the eye, as the girl wasn't even grateful, instead she acted aloof, not really caring at all. Hayoon could only agree. She never expected to be the prey the late Emperor laid his eyes on. The times she had spent with her father during her eighteen years wasn't more than what she could remember. Before being her father he was the emperor, a man that was hard to reach even for a daughter like herself.

Then as an abrupt thunder a degree reached Hayoon at his last moment, appointed her to be the new ruler. Before she could even react, the servant around her was kneeling, congratulating her and begging her to accept the fate graced. In the moment of bewilderment the girl took the memorial degree, granting herself a lifetime imprisonment in responsibility and confinement.

As time went on Hayoon started doubting how much this was considered a gift like people said? A gift was something you give without expecting a payment or anything in return, but she wasn't given this privilege, she didn't even have the right to reject.

Her days was spent with the officials proposing complaints of taxes, peasants dying from hunger strikes, robbers and now even the borders were threatened. The only weapon she befriended was needles and scissors, she had no experience in military or politics, how should she deal with foreign forces? Since she had no answer, voicing her question was an ideal appeal.

"So what do you suggest me to do official Lee?" Hayoon asked the official who had proposed the matter. The man's face hardened the moment she said Lee. Taking a deep inhale the official ignored the fact that she repeatedly had forgotten his family name for the nineteenth time. He reminded himself not to take it too personal as he wasn't the only one she categorised as name that wasn't worth to remember.

"Your majesty. Great Yong is the only border land to our country, the location itself is the shield blocking any foreign forces from invading our Kang nation, but at the same time plays the biggest threat to the fall of Kang if any. This subject advise your majesty to be cautious in dealing with this matter."

Putting her elbow on the armrest of the throne, Hayoon placed her head on top of her palm. She let out a sigh of exhaustion. The official wasn't giving an answer to her question but unnecessary information. She was fine at first but after repeatedly being told the same thing over and over, it caused some negative respond, sucking the last drop of patience she had left.

"So, what do you suggest me to do?" Hayoon repeated.

"Strengthen the bond between two nation by tying the knot of marriage, we also show our gratitude providing them an offer they can't reject."

An offer they can't reject? Like how you forced me on this seat of thorns? Hayoon mentally laughed, but masked herself with a stone facade.

"Your majesty?" The official said, pulling her back to reality.

"Engagement?" Hayoon said casually as if she hasn't been spacing out for even a second. The official continued the moment he again held the girl's attention.

"The emperor of Great Yong is fortuned with multiple sons. Before the late King passed away, the discussion of allying marriage was already brought up, I'm sure the deal is still available."

"So who do you suggest we send to marry the prince of Great Yong?" Hayoon asked.

The official didn't give an answer, instead he started looking at his fellow, the gesture of ignoring the ruler's gaze went viral, every single official avoided Hayoon's eyes as if they would get burned if their gaze met. Confusion strolled for good some time before Hayoon was enlightened.

"Oh, You meant me?" Hayoon batted her lashes blinking a few times as she progressed the situation.

"It hasn't been a week since the late King went underground and you want me engaged?" Suddenly all men went to their knee, the view quite breathtaking to be honest, they literally fell as domino blocks. A dry laugh graced the emotionless face and brought a little colour to her cheeks. Hayoon found herself in a hilarious position that she couldn't help but laugh.

"It's for the sake of peace your majesty." They all chorused perfectly in sync as if it was practised.

"Why are you all on your knees? Hurry stand up!" Seeing how they didn't obey but kept their head low Hayoon knew it was an act protest, the stubborn men wouldn't raise if she didn't abide to their suggestion.

" I'll go to Great Yong and accept the proposal." She said. Then the man slowly raised one after another.

"If I don't like him I'll discard him." Her words channeled their wrinkled face with horror as if a dark curse just has been casted.

"Your majesty....!" An official stuttered as he raised the cupped fist. He had kept silence throughout the court but as a official scholar himself, her careless words was a disgrace which he felt obliged to correct.

"Your majesty have to be careful of what to say. You are a figure of our nation, as a representative you have to uphold the dignity and virtues-"

"Enough with the lecturing official Lee I was kidding." Her words made his expression stiffened just as if he was met with a bucket of ice. Noticing the disordered wrinkles Hayoon could tell that she had got the wrong family name. Again. Brushing the thought Hayoon heaved a breath before continuing.

"I'll go back to my chambers." She abruptly stood up.

"But your majesty there is still a lot unsolved matters we haven't propo-" 

"Why don't you ask Minister Kim for help?" she turned her head at the eldest minister, assuming the white hair held more than just his age. The old man didn't frown, but maintained a calm expression, seems like she got the right family name this time.

"I have more important matters to deal with." Hayoon grabbed the skirt part of her royal dress, lifting it up she descended the stairs.

"What could be more important than national affairs?" A man uttered to himself, his tone mocking as it wasn't meant to be heard.

"Skincare." Hayoon replied nonchalantly, making his face drained from colour, he was clearly surprised that she heard what wasn't meant to be heard.

"Skincare?" Another voice said disbelieving, near belittling. Hayoon turned at the mocking voice. As if afraid of her daggers eyes the officials spread to both side, revealing the culprit for Hayoon. The Person with The 'mocking tone' wasn't intimidated by her stare, instead the corner of his lips twitched in an insulting smirk. The man held an arrogant aura, an ego resulted by the great achievements he had done for the empire. Hayoon wore the indifferent face, an expression that was hard to read for anyone.

"As a representative of Kang I can't show up with unhealthy skin and embarrass our nation right official Lee?" Hayoon looked at the man with a sharp glare. The men maintained a controlled expression, but was betrayed by the red colour running to his face. Indeed, who wouldn't be offended when generations of honour was stepped on? Serving the empire for generations yet his respectable family name was just stamped as some random Lee who the ruler seemed to call everyone she didn't know the name of.

A/N: Hi! Thanks for reading and hope you like the chapter! Do Comment and share your opinion with me. 💛