HUNDRED AND TWENTYNINE

After a day of travel Hayoon and Han reached the Mansion of his maternal Grandpa. It was the farthest place from the palace, which was why Han chose this place to be their final stop. The servants were expecting their homecoming and had prepared the basin with hot water upon their arrival.

After taking a bath they were supposed to rest in the main chamber, but as they reached the door Hayoon halted.

"Can I get a different chamber?"

"Suddenly?" Han asked, knowing that Hayoon didn't like to sleep in separate rooms. After the last incident that took place at this Mansion, Hayoon never retreated to her own chamber at night.

"I just want to have some time for myself. "

The moment Hayoon made it sound like she needed permission Han felt a bit uncomfortable. As if an invisible wall was built between them. There was no reason for him to not agree, but at the same time, Han wasn't able to answer right away.

"I'll tell the servants to prepare your chamber," Han eventually said after some long seconds.

"I'll just ask them to do it. You must be tired go ahead and rest."

"Then, good night,"

"You too," She offered a soft smile. 

Han wondered what was hidden behind that sweet smile and what she was thinking at the moment but refrained from asking. Hayoon stared at Han, and for a second it felt like she was waiting for something.

"Is there something you want to say?" Han asked but she shook her head as if there was nothing at all.

It just happened that their first night at this residence was the night they started to use separate rooms. It felt like it has been ages since Han had spent a night in such a spacious chamber on his own. It felt strange and also empty.

The strangest part was that he found it unfamiliar. They were finally far from the palace with no threats lurking around the corner every second. This was a place that Han could call his own, and probably the safest place he could imagine. He was supposed to feel happy, to finally be able to escape the palace's wall and finally find a place of his own, a place that he would call home.

Strangely, he didn't feel as excited as he had thought he would.

The days slowly passed and before he knew it they had already stayed in the mansion for weeks. Hayoon and Han had a peaceful time with each other, both spending their days together and at night they would go to separate rooms.

Hayoon sounded like she felt more comfortable having her own space and Han didn't question it. Since she had spent most of her life in a huge palace, it was normal that she needed that kind of space.

A month passed like that without a change.

"His highness... I mean... Young Master," The butler corrected himself. He entered the dining room and gave Han a letter.

Hayoon wondered how important it was for the butler to enter during dinner time. Usually, he would wait for them to finish up before reporting such things to Han.

Han took the letter and read it.

His brow furrowed and it looked like he wasn't that happy with the content.

There was no royal messenger, meaning it was probably not from the emperor. Besides him, who else would be sending letters to Han.

Ailee? Hayoon furrowed her brows and nearly glared at Han. Luckily, Han didn't even notice her angry expression.

She was about to ask what the letter was about, but Han folded the letter and gave it to the butler.

"You may leave,"

"Yes, young master."

"What was that letter?" Hayoon tried to sound casual.

"It was a report,"

Han's answer had never been satisfying. No details. No substance. Although Hayoon was glad it wasn't related to Ailee, she wanted to know more about its content.

"What report?" Hayoon further asked.

"One of my people was sent on a mission, and was just reporting the progress."

Mission? Hayoon looked at him with a questioning look.

"Shouldn't he  be reporting to the emperor? You said you were no longer interfering with the empire's affairs."

"It is a personal matter unrelated to the emperor."

"What personal matter?"

Silence.

"I'm done eating," Hayoon said despite not touching many of the dishes. Hayoon left the room and headed back to her chamber without even giving Han the chance to say anything.

It felt like her patience was reaching its limits and she couldn't just pretend that she was okay anymore. It was torture to pretend that everything was fine with his arrangements when she was not.

Compared to when they were in the palace Hayoon felt even worse when staying here. The environment was peaceful, but it didn't make her feel happy. If any, Hayoon was more unhappy here than when she was at the palace.

At least there she didn't have to pretend like everything is fine. She could tell him anything and be honest with herself, but it is different now. Hayoon couldn't make herself speak her mind, she couldn't let herself get angry at him, because she didn't want to push him.

Hayoon wanted to give him the time he needs to open up to her, but it felt like it was never going to happen.

A/N: Hi guys,

After a long hiatus, I'm finally back. You are the most patient and supportive readers so I really want to thank you all. 💛
I wrote several chapters for the rest of the story and hope you will like it :)