S I X

C H A P T E R S I X

The sun has long set. The night sky sprinkled with glistening stars competing their dominance on the dark canvas.

The time had run out before they were even close to the palace, hence Han decided to stay overnight at a rest place. This place was nothing comparing to the palace, but still it was clear that only noble families were able to afford a stay. The hallways was ligtened up by red dimmed lanterns, rare antics objects were displayed to decorate the interior.

With only the little light from the flickering flame, Yoon walked around restlessly in the room she was provided. It was ominous silent to the point her light steps were annoyingly audible.

Outside her room were men patrolling. It was on the Prince's command. They were to protect Yoon. No. To protect the ruler of Kang. The one they mistook her to be, while the real ruler herself had to spent the night with the soldiers. It couldn't be good.

Yoon wanted to have Hayoon near, but insisting on keeping a male guard by her side, while being a supposed unwedded ruler, would only lead to unnecessary slander. There were only men here, but when did gossip spare anyone? Yoon sighed deep. Anxiety forming.

"Ya!" A whisper was heard from outside. Yoon stopped walking back and forth and headed towards the wooden window and opened it. She looked down from the second floor to see Hayoon at the size of a bean.

"Your h-"

"Shshh!!!!" Hayoon hushed while balancing with the weight of the giant ladder of thick bamboo. She managed to place it on Yoon's window.

Hayoon let out a deep sigh. The height she had to climb was at least five times her height. She grabbed the ladder and started climbing. The steps seems to be endless. She took a step then paused then took another step then paused. Hayoon squeezed her eyes tight while blindly climbing upstairs.

Don't look down don't look down.

"Am I close?" Hayoon whimpered.

"No."

"How many steps is there left?"

"Open your eyes.."

"Never!"

"Open them."

"No!!"

"Do it!"

Hayoon unwilling lifted an eye lid, only to blush red in embarassment. She was just knee height above the low bushes. The countless steps she imagined wasn't worth mentioning.

"It's faster if I come down." Yoon rolled her eyes.

"Just wait!"

"Till when? Spring?" Yoon put her arms on the window's frame and rested her head on top of them.

"I'm climbing as fast as I can!"

"I've seen turtles climb faster."

"Cut it." Hayoon hissed with gritted teeth.

After eternity Hayoon reached the top ladder. Yoon extended her numb arm, to help Hayoon get through the narrow opening.

Both girls then sat on the bed, Yoon in the white dress while Hayoon was in the red robe. The silk bandana tightened around Hayoon's forehead was in a darker shade of red, due to the beads underneath. Hayoon stared at Yoon, her hand moved to the lace of the mask Yoon was wearing and untied it's knots.

"You don't have to wear it at night."

"No. You are the one supposed to wear it. What do we do now?" Yoon grabbed the hanging mask and squeezed it tight, her hand dropped on top of her lap.

"Do what?"

"Your highness I'm not you?!"

"Enlightenment." Hayoon faked a smile.

"But drop the formality! It doesn't suits you."

"Don't change the topic! It's still not too late, I'm sure Prince Han will understand, especially after what he witnessed in the woods and-.... Are you even listening?!" Yoon furrowed her brows at Hayoon, who seemed ridiculously hypnotized by her hands.

"I knew this would happen." Hayoon pulled out a little bottle from the inner chest pocket and grabbed Yoon's hand.

"What are you doing?" Yoon asked confused.

Hayoon took Yoon's wounded hand to her eyes, then sprinkled some white powder from the bottle's mouth on the scratches and bruises.

"I'm applying ointment on your wounds."

"I know you're applying ointment!"

"Then why are you asking?!"

"I'm asking what you're doing when I'm trying to pull a serious conversation?!" Yoon pulled back her hand.

"I'm not done!!!" Hayoon exclaimed.

"Hayoon-ah!"

The word made Hayoon froze. Even when they were alone Yoon would at least refer Hayoon as princess. The title Hayoon once had, the one Yoon had grown used to. Yoon never crossed the line. She knew her place and strictly kept the boundaries. When Yoon broke these firmly held etiquettes and called her name with affection and concern, Hayoon couldn't feign ignorance.

"You'll be me."

"What? No! It's hard enough for me being me! I can't be you?! "

"Listen. In the woods, Han killed..." Hayoon paused short.

A shiver sent down her spine as she recalled the memory of Han's blade and the killer gaze, which she later realised was meant for the man behind her. The masked man Han stroke while saving Yoon, was laying on the ground pretending to be dead. The assassin gathered his last strength to kill the disguised Hayoon, not showing the slightest uncertainty in those killer eyes, as he got a glimpse of her.

To Hayoon's luck Han was faster. His sword embedded the man's chest faster than he could stab Hayoon. Though those dangerous eyes wasn't for her, she still couldn't get them out of her mind.

"Yoon-ah... The assassins knew who I am.... Until we reach the palace. Until then it won't be safe.."

Yoon coudn't even deny. She hoped this incident would never resurface, but had to be realistic. More attacks could occur. Hayoon's innocent face turned gloomy, her gaze trailed down to the mask Yoon was holding in her hand.

Sorry...
You'll have to wear the mask a little longer.