H U N D R E D A N D E LE V E N

C H A P T E R H U N D R E D A N D E L E V E N

After meeting Ki Young, Han went through the papers of the household, seeing how things had been going. Although he wasn't present in the manor, it appeared that the papers were all structured, there weren't suspicious numbers in the accounting books either. To know that the management was done neatly, Han felt assured.

Indeed, the servants and butler were people of his grandpa. They had stayed here for longer than he had, and their loyalty towards his family ran deep in their vein. There was nothing to worry about.

Han wanted to drop by Hayoon's chamber before he went back to his own. He was sure she would be in deep sleep by now, but it wouldn't hurt to make a visit.

Reaching her room, Han carefully opened the doors and entered. It was dark inside, so there was no evidence that Hayoon was awake. With little effort, he walked to her bed, near soundlessly like the wind. Moving the blanket to the side, Han sat at the edge of her bed, observing her silently as she slept in.

Hayoon looked like one that wouldn't wake up even if thunder pierced the sky. She looked that peaceful, that Han wondered why she was worried in the first place. Despite her looks, Hayoon appeared as one that could easily adapt to her surroundings.

Good night, Han spoke in his mind. He tugged her hand under the blanket and rose.

Just then, Hayoon suddenly grabbed the sleeves of his. The small movement caught his attention. His eyes directed at her hand and traveled to her face. Han thought he had wakened her, but he was proved wrong. Hayoon grabbed his sleeve in her sleep, despite not being awake, she was able to grab his sleeve precisely.

It was like she was telling him not to go.

Something felt strange. Her gesture reminisced him of something. A scene from somewhere in his far memory was playing before his eyes. It was a blurry memory that surfaced in his subconscious.

In the memory, a girl was standing next to him. They were both in the palace, standing in the middle of the corridor. The sun was bright, and judging from the girl's clothing, it was probably around midsummer.

The girl in his memories was dressed in white robes, but there were stains of red spilled on her. It looked like red painting. The lower half of her face was covered by a mask and her eyes were distant and avoided his. It was as if she didn't like his stare.

Han didn't felt good about it, he wanted her to face him, but despite whatever he did she didn't allow her. It made him mad. No, rather it made him worry. He didn't like the way she avoided him, but he couldn't force her.

His last resort was fetching help, but just as he was about to go the girl grabbed his sleeve. The image turned blurry and Han couldn't remember what happened next.

His iris shrunk and he gasped for air. Cold sweat ran down his spine, while his face was drained from color. It was nearly unbearable.

Han's mind was pulled back to reality, upon the sound of Hayoon's hand landing on the bedsheet. For a moment he remained unmoved, stunned by the memories.

Was that apart of my lost memories? Han questioned himself.

It must be. There was no other reason. The girl in his memories reminded him of Hayoon. There was no doubt. Even though she was wearing a veil, Han could tell it. The little distance between them allowed him to know that much. It was her. She was there, before his eyes.

Han felt hard to breathe. Every inhales burned his throat and squeezed his lungs. Lines deepened in his forehead as he squeezed his eyes shut and tried to recall the past. It felt like the door to his memory had just slightly opened. If he just tried harder then maybe...

With all his might Han tried looking through those foggy memories. Looking through the dark road which was covered in the dust of time. He tried to remember... he tried to.

A memory of the late emperor suddenly surfaced before his eyes. It was his father. Han was drinking with the late emperor. He wanted to tell the emperor something urgent, but the emperor wasn't paying attention. The emperor was more focused on making Han drink the cup of wine.

"Your majesty... the palace isn't safe." Han said when addressing his own father.

"You need to take action before he reaches the palace. Before it is too late," Again, the emperor didn't respond.

Despite how desperate Han sounded, his father remained composed and nonchalant. The view changed and Han suddenly fell to his knee in front of the emperor. His legs were giving in and there was a sudden surge rising in his throat.

The next moment, blood spilled from Han's mouth staining both his hands and the clean floor. The emperor looked down at Han with indifferent eyes that didn't belong to a father who just saw his son coughing up blood.

Han's whole body trembled upon recalling that piece of memory. He quickly ran out of Hayoon's room and towards the garden. Reaching the garden, his leg gave in making him fall to the ground with one knee. Sweat pearls gathered around his forehead. His lips parted but he couldn't breathe. He felt like dying.

Han recalled the pain in his chest, the pain from his memories. The burning sensation ran through his throat when he coughed up the blood. More tormenting than the pain were the eyes of the emperor that pierced through his memories. The eyes were filled with hatred and resentment as the emperor watched over Han.

The voice of the emperor suddenly rang from the corner of Han's mind.

"Didn't I told you not covet things that weren't yours?"

The late emperor's eyes were distant. The voice made Han sick and disgusted. Han closed his eyes, putting both hands to his ears as if not wanting to hear the voice of his own father. He felt pain by the empty eyes of his own father.

Han's whole body felt sick.

"No! I don't want to hear more! Stop it!" Han shouted on top of his lung as he blocked his ears with both hands.

"Didn't I told you not covet things that don't belong to you?"

...

"You are the biggest mistake in my life."

...

"If you weren't born, your mother wouldn't have suffered. Things went wrong from the moment you appeared."

Han wanted the words to go away. He wanted the image of the late emperor to vanish like smoke in the air, but despite how much he wanted it gone, the voice of his father echoed from the corner of his head in an evil loop.

"Get out of my head!" Han shouted while pulling his hair. Han wanted to erase those words. He didn't care about the past memories. He didn't need them. If just someone could make those words from repeating in his head. Han begged, for someone to save him from hearing that voice.

Round teardrops fell from the tip of his eyelashes as he cried out, begging for someone to save him.

Han's hair was in disarray and his yell filled the empty corridors with cries. If anyone was awake, they would now be wide awake. The servant ran through the hallways and reached the garden, where their despairing master was falling to his knees.

A/N: Sorry for the late update, but school is crazy these days. 😣

Thanks for your patience 💗 and if you enjoyed the chapter hit the star bottom below 💫