F O U R T Y

C H A P T E R F O U R T Y

It felt like eternity since Hayoon sensed the presence of sleepiness. Maybe it was due to the season's shift that the wind blew stronger the past days. Whatever reason, Hayoon knew that it wouldn't get any easier to cross the bridge of dreamland. The bed was comfortable yet she couldn't fall asleep at all.

Brushing the blanket aside, Hayoon walked over to the mirror. It had been long since she last saw her own face, since wearing the veil had long been a part of her feature.

"You still can't sleep?" Yoon asked across the room, appearently she wasn't sleeping either.

"What is keeping you awake?"

"I don't know." Hayoon replied short.

There is a saying that people would get sick when keeping things to themselves, when holding a secret or when they can't go where their heart reaches. Maybe this was the reason for the lonesome nights.

"Do...do you want to go out looking for the stars?" The voice hesitant, but at last Yoon gave in to herself. She had no reason to think that they would ever return to this shelter of a place if they ever left it, but then what this place protected was only a living corpse.

Hayoon seemed more delighted upon hearing the suggestion, for a brief second the dazzling crossed the solemn eyes that long had turned dull. Yoon was sure she was gonna regret this, but said was done.

They both got dressed in their clothing and Yoon even fetched Hayoon a little coat to keep the lady shielded from the chilly breeze at night.

When the doors chamber opened out of usual at such late hour the servant was of course surprised yet knowing that Yoon was attending Hayoon no one dared to say a word. No one dared to look at Hayoon, knowing it could equal punishment if a certain prince got that for ear.

Hayoon wandered in the corridors walking through the endless paths without a sign of stop. She walked with no consideration of how hard it was for Yoon to follow her every steps. Yet Yoon could only feel delighted for seeing Hayoon actually showing a sign of life, for once did the lady show a sense of anticipation and some kind of excitement.

When Yoon finally awaked from her deepest thoughts as Hayoon stopped, she found herself in this ever so familiar setting. It was the dark garden that had grown more wild than from those picture in her memory. The blossom plum tree that was still naked from its leaf, the star hang above and glittered against the surface of the little pond.

Glancing at Hayoon, Yoon senses the longing air of this place emitting from the little lady, which seemed more desperate and eager that Yoon was overwhelmed with surprise. While there was a pampered garden and beautiful flowers in prince Hyun's garden, It seemed like Hayoon was oddly more attracted to this plain view. The glint in her eyes, the steps that couldn't go fast enough, did Hayoon even notice this herself or was this just a natural reaction she had grown to?

When trespassing the grass field Hayoon steps turned slower, as if she didn't want the time to pass. As if she didn't want to leave this place. The track stopped at the foot of the blossom tree, looking back at Yoon, Hayoon was asking with her eyes for assistance.

After getting up the tree Hayoon sat with her back leaned against the tree's body while her feet was meeting air beneath the branch she was sitting on. While the wind kissed her skin and make a flinch by its carelessness. With her eyes closed Hayoon took a few seconds breathing in the fresh and cold air that travelled through her lungs before speaking.

"I'm not going back there." Hayoon said, muted as a whisper.

"I know." Yoon replied and with no rejection their conversation surrendered to an understanding silence. For good seconds was Yoon hesitant, she didn't know if this was the right time to bring it up. She had tried to hide it, in fact she had rather remained silent about Han's return, as she didn't want Hayoon to go back to the unguarded palace.

Moreover she had resented the prince for leaving without word and so with his return. But now, since Hayoon wasn't going back to Hyun's place, she will sooner or later find out that Han was back.

"Hayoon, I have something to tell you."

"What is it?"

"Prince Han, he... he is back."

"I know," Hayoon again replied. The surprise draw her eyes wide, looking up at Hayoon, Yoon couldn't contain the question to herself.

"When did you find out?"

"Some days ago."

"How?"

I never told you, and you never left my sight.

"Do you remember the jade ornament I always carry around?"

"Yes, why?"

"When I was out of the palace I gave it to a little girl. The following day the little girl appeared with a bunch of men, they were looking for the owner of the ornament. Han came in time and rescued me, and even got the ornament back from the bandits." Hayoon said pausing at the last words.

"I never got a chance to ask him to give it back and then Han left for the field but now..." Hayoon forced a disbelieving grin.

"It's in the hands of princess Huai."

The ornament was bestowed to Hayoon by the late King when she was only a little child. Every and everywhere she went, Hayoon would bring it along as her life depend on it, Hayoon might forget bringing her medicine but never forget the ornament. It was a treasure of her own, so no wonder she would feel so dejected. Who wouldn't when their properties is given away to another person without their permission?

Hayoon turned silent for quite a while before turning at Yoon with the questioning eyes.

"Should I ask to get it back? Or should I just accept that it got a new owner and would never return to me?"