T W E N T Y E I G H T

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y E I G H T

Hayoon was at lost of words. Whatever she did, whatever she said was seen through. Left was only the pathetic feeling, eating her up bit by bit. She couldn't fight Han. She was never his match, to begin with.

Well aware she didn't stand a chance Hayoon still detested the feeling of giving up. When it comes to Han she didn't like to lose. Though she herself couldn't explain why. Wasn't her mind clouded by furry she would've talked back. The bitter surrender was hard to swallow. Hayoon had never lost to anyone, again no one ever bothered arguing with her to begin with.

"Princess" Gwan's voice regarded someone outside the chamber.

"Her Highness is occupied by the moment," Gwan said in a respectful tone.

"I'm looking for Han" Ailee replied. At the voice of Ailee Han's eyes narrowed. He turned at Hayoon looking down at the veil that hangs untied around her neck and then back at the door. Without further thinking, he headed towards the door and went outside closing the door behind. Hayoon sensed a little anxiety in his deep eyes, something she never noticed before.

"Ailee," Han said gently. That was the last thing Hayoon heard before the chamber went back to silence as they left.

Ailee. Though the name didn't say Hayoon anything so did her voice. It was one Hayoon had heard before, not being in direct dialogue with but heard. The conflicted eyes of Han when Ailee appeared was something Hayoon couldn't forget.

Meanwhile Hayoon was in her chamber, Han took Ailee further away to the other side of his resident. Without question, Ailee followed him, her servant was giving them a considering distance enough to provide them with a little privacy.

"I see you are still here," Ailee said calmly.

"Didn't your highness already came knowing that?"

"How long are you staying?" She Kept the grin to herself.

"Until the Empress gets tired of me," His statement made her cast aside whatever she had in mind, pushing the adoring smile aside, as a bad reminder his words shook her senses together.

"The Empress?" Ailee's voice was dark just as the tone that settled in her eyes at the mention of the Empress. Stopping in her track Ailee set a halt to their friendly walk. Her eyes moved from the road to meet Han's. He could read in those eyes the alarming message before they were issued from those delicate lips.

"Return to the borders," Ailee's voice was gentle yet held authority.

"The longer you stay, the harder it would be for you to leave."

"Didn't someone want me to stay the other night?" Han reached for her arm but Ailee stepped back, dodging his touch.

"It's not a time for your teases," Ailee sighed heavily. "Leave."

"Don't chase me away princess," He said, tiredly.

Disappointment resonated from her dark pearls. Taking a deep breath, Ailee veiled her expression with a strong firm gaze.

"I'll tell on you to the Emperor if you don't leave. Even if it means taking Hyun's side." Han's expression went a couple shade darker than it already was. Though appearing indifferent, Ailee could see the sadness within his dark orbs.

"Why are you doing this to me?" His tone pained.

"Don't take my word for light Han." Ailee adviced.

"I'll give you three days, " She said before leaving Han. Her maid trailed right after her, alone was the prince and himself. Han stood there for couple second without intention to make a move, his feet planted to the ground as he looked afar towards the princess that was getting out of his field of view little by little.

After a moment for himself, Han spent his time wandering in the lonesome corridors, not knowing how long he had walked. When stopping up he found himself at the unpampered garden. His eyes locked to the girl sitting on one of the thick tree branches of the naked blossom tree. Wearing a veil and a layered dress the girl rested her back against the tree body. With crossed arm and furrowed brows, she stared down at her servant, who was kneeling on the grass with arms outstretched in a punishment.

Hayoon sat on the branch, unaware of the attention she was given by the bypassing observer. Her sole focus was on Yoon repenting for disobeying her orders. Hayoon held a thin stick in her fisted hand. From the way she held it, Han could tell that she wasn't familiar with using it.

His eyes moved from the stick to her thin fingers then glided to the bandaged hand of his own and then back at her. It didn't take long before Hayoon noticed the unnatural picture intensely staring at her. Disgust masked her expression as she shoot Han daggers glare, which was noticable even from afar. Hayoon turned at Yoon, not wasting a second in returning the stares of the icy locks.

When Hayoon was requested to appear in the royal court today, Han escorted her to it. Everyone was curious of her hence showed up without a miss, even the Empress and the Dowager. Some were disappointed that the mysterious face just turned more mysterious with the veil covering her lower face, other did expect that.

Though not being able to recognise many faces she couldn't miss taking notice of the one that had not showed up. Prince Hyun. When the Emperor asked about his whereabouts another prince told on his brother's behalf that prince Hyun was unwell and couldn't show up.

Hayoon understood the disappointment when the Emperor brought up the alliances marriage. The man had already made his mind, but made it appear to be Hayoon's choice. He played with his logic, indeed the other princes didn't stand a chance, some were already married and some were too young. In physique and appearance they only showed up to make Hyun stand out even more. For a second Hayoon couldn't understand why the thought of her choosing Han didn't threatened the emperor's logic.

"Will your majesty accept whatever choice I make?" Hayoon asked.

"It's up to you my dear." The Emperor said with his deep tone. Some of the princes had a little anticipation, they didn't know that she had already seen Hyun and by that reason felt more confident. Others didn't even have their hope up, while a minor part just looked forward to get this section over.

Hayoon glided her eyes down the long row, her eyes went back and forth capturing the many face that were for display. When Hayoon was about to make her choice, a figure entered the hall, drawing everyone's attention.

Hyun walked in with long strides, his dark scarlet robes makes his skin appear even paler in comparison, though the glint in his eyes still were wild and confident as always. Hyun regarded the Emperor and then at the Empress and Dowager.

"I heard you are unwell my son," The emperor said with pretentious sadness, it was clear he was delighted for his son's appearance. Though looking sick Hyun still emitting a strong aura.

"My apologies for making his majesty worry." A smile carved on his pale features.

"So my dear have you made your decision?" The emperor repeated with more enthusiasm this time.

"I have your majesty." Hayoon said, granting the hall a heavy tension.

"So my dear who did you chose?"