7 3 | J U L I E T

I lingered outside O&J's alone, contemplating if this was a good idea. But I had no other way to start than to get directly under the nose of the operation.

I pushed open the glass door to the shop and was immediately met with an empty area which I wasn't prepared for. I had expected a little crowd.

Nova looked up just as I half turned to walk out the door. I stopped awkwardly,  my one foot out and the other inside.

It was too late now. If I turned back he would be suspicious. I entered again and the door automatically shut behind me. I swallowed. He still scared the shit out of me and being alone here with him was a stupid idea, as I then realized.

I walked over to the counter and said, "A strawberry cone, please."

He nodded and set about scooping the ice cream into a cone. After he handed it to me, I sat at the closest table. I dug out my phone and pretended to do something on it. But from the corner of my eye I was following Nova's every movement. He was sat behind the counter and a quick glance his way told me he was just messing with his SGD.

Just as I finished my ice cream ahd was beginning to think that this was all a waste, Nova's chair scraped back and rose up. I tensed up as he pulled up the partition and came on the other side.

I turned my head to look at him approach me directly.

"May I?" He gestured to the chair on the opposite side of the table.

"Uh...okay."

He lowered his massive built onto the tiny chair and he somehow fit and did not break it.

"What's up?" I said for the lack of a better start.

"How's Abeo since that night? Is he doing okay?"

"Yes, he's fine. He doesn't seem to be affected by it really."

"Okay." He paused, not looking like he had anything more to say but seeing my expectant gaze he stuttered to add, "How have you been?"

"Great, thanks. And you?"

"Same. Why are you here?"

Even thought the voice was emitted from the device and had a rather dull tone to it, the words spoken sounded accusing and doubtful.

"My friend, Colin lives nearby and he's my tutor. I was just going home after the tutoring and craved some ice cream," I said easily enough for even me to almost believe it. I had always been a good liar, speaking the lies and flasities with such conviction and exhibiting no sign that I was lying that the person had no other choice to believe my words.

"He one of the two who came with you last time?" He asked and I instantly felt myself go rigid.

Whatever this was I was getting myself into, I did not want anyone to involved in it. Much less Colin or his little shit who was there that day as well. "Yeah," I said shortly, not about to tell him which one he was.

His forehead wrinkled and he raised his eyebrows slightly at my sharp tone.

I stood up, grabbed the used tissue and discarded it in the bin. Returning back I was about to take my bag, certain this was a wasted trip and I couldn't possibly get anything from him without arousing suspicion.

"Wait," he said.

"What?" I said, trying my best to keep my impatience at bay.

"You didn't come to the last party at the warehouse?"