5 6 | J U L I A

The door was opened by a boy who looked around my age.

"Uh...hi. Is Mrs. Baker home? I was to meet her today," I said hurriedly, having expected the old lady. I hoped we hadn't gotten the wrong house even though I had come here once before.

His eyes lit up at my words. "Are you Julia Sanders?" He asked, opening the door wide.

"Yes, are you Millie's son, Dale?" I asked, suddenly remembering her having mentioned him a couple of times but I didn't know what he looked like until now perhaps.

"Yes, my mother got caught up in work. She left the letter with me, said you were coming for it today. Please, come in," he said, stepping aside.

I stepped inside the warm and cozy house. Yes, it was the right house. It wasn't much by the looks of it but still a sweet home. Throwing a quick look over at Braxton's swanky car looking out of place in the neighbourhood, I was ushered inside and the door closed behind me.

"Take a seat," he said, disappearing into the kitchen. I perched myself at the end of the couch and looked about my surroundings, taking in the neat and clean living room again. "Coffee or tea?" He called out.

"Tea, thank you," I replied.

He came out after a few minutes with a steaming cup of tea, setting it in front of me on the coffee table along with a plate of cookies.

I chewed down on a few without tasting them which was shame because they looked quite delicious. Finishing off, I gulped down the hot tea, ignoring my tongue which felt on fire.

"So my mom tells me we were good friends for the short amount of time that you stayed with us," he said. "I don't really remember you from those days. Do you remember me maybe?"

"Uh, no. I'm sorry I don't remember much," I said awkwardly.

"That's alright. We can just reconnect. My mom will be happy to keep in touch with you. I'll...also like to get to know a childhood friend," Dale said.

I smiled politely. "Of course, we should. Dale, about the letter, you have it with you right now, right?"

"Yes, I have it. Just wait here, I'll get it," he said, getting up and rushing out of the room.

I sat there twiddling my fingers, trying to wait patiently for him to come back. He returned with a tattered paper. It was in a really bad shape.

He handed it to me delicately. "Sorry it's in this condition. It's been so many years that we've had it."

"It's okay. I understand. I'm very surprised you have it at all. Thank you for keeping it safe."

Taking the folder piece of paper in my hands, I ran my fingers over it's rough faded surface. The writing inside was showing a little on the other side of the paper but was incomprehensible.

"You have my mom to thank for that."

"I'd like to thank her personally," I told him. "When will she be home?"

"She won't be back until after..." he glanced at the clock on the wall which read five-fifteen, "–an hour at most. Won't you stay for dinner?"

"Oh, I can't. But convey my thanks to her."

Before he could say anything, there were frantic knocks on the door. Dale's brows furrowed and he moved toward it. I wondered if it was Braxton and that someone had recognized him causing them to move him.

When the door was opened, it was Braxton alright but thankfully not a scary mob behind him. He looked up from his cap, his eyes meeting mine and then settling on Dale.