February 10th

"So you shall keep my commandments and do them: I am the Lord." Leviticus 22:31

I'm sure as a kid in Sunday School you talked about the 10 commandments. I know I did. But here's the thing, can you name them all? Do you know what they mean?

1.You shall have no other gods before Me.  This is about loyalty. The Creator of the universe declares He is our God and our deliverer and asks us to show our love for Him by having no other God's. Trust God above everything else.

2. You shall not make idols. This is about Worship. The one and only true God loves us so much that He is jealous of our love and does not want to share our love by us bowing down to meaningless idols. (Check out January 28th)

3. You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain. This is about Reverence. God asks us to respect His Holy name and not to use it in vain. Do not use God's name to curse, swear, lie, or deceive, but call on him in prayer, praise, and thanksgiving

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. This is about Sanctification and Relationship. God starts off the fourth Commandment with the word “Remember”. This is because He knew we would forget it. Go to church as often as we can to hear God's word.

5. Honor your father and your mother. This is about respect towards parental authority. Do not despise or anger our parents and others in authority, but respect, obey, love, and serve them. (Check out January 15th)

6. You shall not murder. This about respect towards human life. We are to fear and love God so that we do not hurt our neighbor in any way.

7. You shall not commit adultery. This is about Purity in Relationships. God asks us to express and demonstrate our love for our partner by not committing adultery. In matters of sex our words and conduct are pure and honorable, and husband and wife love and respect each other.

8. You shall not steal. This is about honesty.God instructs us to show our love and respect for others by not stealing what belongs to them. Do not take our neighbor's money or property, and help him to improve and protect his property and means of making a living

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

This is about truthfulness. Do not betray, slander or lie about your neighbor, but defend him, speak well of him, and explain his actions in the kindest way

10. You shall not covet. This is about contentment. God instructs us not to covet because He knows it can entrap us into even greater sin. To covet means to crave or desire. Do not tempt or coax away from your neighbor his wife or his workers, but encourage them to be loyal.

So how well do you know the 10 commandments? Check out Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5. 

Dear Lord,
I just want to say thank you for your word and the 10 commandments. These are here to help us and guide us to a holy life. Help me to remember these and help to live by them. In Jesus name, Amen.