January 28th

"Do not have other gods besides Me. Do not make an idol for yourself, whether in the shape of anything in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth." Exodus 20:3-4

Idols. Do you know what idols mean? I'm sure you do. An image or representation of a god used as an object of worship, and in the bible it tells us not to have no other gods besides Him.

They come in many forms. Some things you may not even know it could be an idol. I had an idol. My computer. I always spent my time on there. Playing games, watching movies and YouTube videos, and listening to music. I spent all day on my computer and the thing that I wasn't doing was spending as much time as possible with God. What was I accomplishing? Nothing!

Many of us may not know we have idols. I didn't realize I did until I looked at a bigger picture. BUT, it doesn't mean you have to give it up completely. At my girls youth group, my mom was telling us this story. It was about how this man loved to listen to music. When he realized he had a barrier or a wall blocking him. He felt as if he wasn't close to God. God told him he had to stop listening to his music for awhile. After a while, he started to listen to the music again, but he didn't feel like it interfered his relationship with God anymore. God told him that since he didn't depend on that music anymore, it isn't a idol anymore.

Look at something that you do a lot and see if you treat it as the most important thing in the world. It could be anything, be boyfriend, money, clothes, video games, etc. You get the point though. Look at the ten commandments. The first one tells us not to have any other god besides the Lord.

We have to make sure we have no idols in our lives- ones that are accidental or even intentionally made. Get rid of your idols.

“My children, have nothing to do with false gods or idols" 1 John 5:21(WE)

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." Matthew 6:24

We have to be careful about the things we like to do. Remember to serve God only. Watch out if you have any idols.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for being an amazing God. You are the one and only God. Lord, show me if I have any idol besides you. Forgive me. I do not always realize it, but show me if I make other things more important. Help me to remember to serve you, and only you. Thank you. In Jesus name, Amen.