All-Stars

Standing at the top of the empty Chicago Bulls Arena, my heart, mind, body and soul felt at ease

Standing at the top of the empty Chicago Bulls Arena, my heart, mind, body and soul felt at ease. I have dreamt so many times of being at this point in my life. Only now it wasn't a dream, it was a reality and it was sink or swim. But like Dory said 'just keep swimming'.

I closed my eyes enjoying the silence and taking in the atmosphere. My arm had a red mark from pinching myself so many times on the drive here to remind myself that this was real.

"Well look what the cat dragged in" I heard an all too familiar voice behind me. I didn't even bother turning around to grace this peasant with my presence.

"Um hello, I know you can hear me Jess !"

"What do you want Samantha ?!" I asked still not acknowledging her presence.

"I thought you would atleast be happy to see me" she came over leaning on the railing next to me. "I mean you are living my sisters dream"

"Correction. Im living MY dream, meanwhile you're the one trying to fill some shoes you know are too big for you. I don't know how you or Sarah were even related. She was nothing like you"

"Excuse me ? You dont know my sister to even speak on her"

"Actually I did. She was the sweetest most kind hearted person I knew. She always pushed me to be better and you do the opposite. She tried to uplift others meanwhile you try to bring everyone around you down. Like I said, you two were nothing alike besides the same red hair and last name"

"I don't try to bring others down Jessica !" She said getting defensive

"So what is it ? You pretended to like me all of 10th and 11th grade, then all of a sudden senior year its 'fuck Jessica'." I shook my head rolling my eyes. "Pick a side Samatha, this wishy washy behavior isn't cute. Either you fuck with me or you don't. Either way I don't care. Im not letting you throw me off of my game". I said walking away. I could feel her eyes bore holes in my neck but I couldn't let her get in my head. I needed to focus.

                                          *****

I strolled around the arena scoping out the other kids from schools all around Chicago. Even the captain from Raydale was here. She looked very focused, some guys were trying to holler at her but she didn't even blink in their direction.

I was going to make it my mission to avoid contact her. Our school stayed beefing with Raydale, now wasn't the time for unnecessary beef or drama. I spun around about to walk in the other direction until someone ran up behind me. Spinning around only to be greeted by a warm welcoming smile.

"Hi, your Jessica right ?"

"Umm yeah.. how'd you know ?"

"You were one of Chicago Prep Allstar players last year"