The First Touch

7:45 a.m

The ride to Masons was quiet. Just a few days ago we officially ended whatever it was that was going on between us, now this morning I'm in his car, head on his shoulder, hand in hand. What were we doing ? Why did we always end up back here ?

"I have court in a few hours"

"Why ? What happened ?"

"My divorce hearing"

"So your gonna leave me ?"

The last thing I wanted to do was be left alone. Cory has been blowing up my phone, I assured him I was alive, but I wasn't doing fine and I didn't want him around. I would've stayed at the hospital all day if they allowed me to, but I needed a shower and some rest. Chelsea's blood had stained my clothes.

"We meet at ten thirty. Once I'm done, I'll be back home"

Home. That word coming out of his mouth felt so relaxing. I knew what that word meant to me, but what did it mean to him ? Chloe and Mom want me to come home but I cant, I don't want to face the world or anyone right now. I need to grieve the best way I know how, and thats by being alone.

"Shes still here" we pulled up the drive way and I remember Ms Jackson was staying here.

"Shes leaving today. Shes gotta go" he said as he walked around to open my door. He lead the way, holding my hand and I felt like a little kid.

"Jessica !" Ms Babu walked swiftly over to me, giving me a tight hug.

"Ms Babu, I cant breathe"

"Im sorry, I was so worried about you, you had me terrified"

"Yeah, you had us both scared" Ms Jackson appeared from the kitchen eating an apple. She reminded me of the snake in the garden of Eden as she bit into it and the juice drained from her mouth.

I didn't respond or say a word to her. He nodded for me to go upstairs so I did.

Ms Babu had already laid out an oversized Plain T, some fresh underwear and socks for me. Fresh towels and a new bar of soap greeted me as I walked into the bathroom to take a shower, she was always nice to me even though we got off on the wrong foot in the beginning.

I stripped my clothes off, throwing them in a trash bag. I never wanted to see or wear those clothes again.

The hot water burned my skin but it made me feel better. Looking down at my feet, the blood drained from my arms and chest area. Some was even in my hair. I broke down at the thought of Anna. She beat death once, but this time she didn't win.

This situation made no sense. Why would that guy intentionally hurt my friends ? What if Tariq wasn't there. Why did Tariq even have a gun ? What kind of shit was he in ? Why didnt Taya want me to let anyone know he was with us and he's the one that shot that son of a bitch.

I was so deep in thought I hadn't realized I was scrubbing my skin so hard to get the blood off, that I irritated it.

Once I started to wash and condition my hair, I found myself sitting down crying as the water poured over my head. Reality was setting in. No more basketball with my bestfriend, no more lunch dates, movies dates, girls night or college. She was just gone like a ghost in the wind. She'll never get married or have kids. We won't grow old together like we always said we would, or live next to one another so our kids can grow up together like we did. In a blink of an eye everything was gone and for what? Nothing.

"Come on, let me dry you off"

I hadn't heard when he came into the bathroom, I have no idea how long he stood there watching me have a moment, but he didn't mind getting his hair or himself wet. He picked me up with the shower water still running. Lifting me up and taking me into the room, he dried my body with the towel. He wasn't being his normal inappropriate self, he wasn't attempting anything. I just stood there, crying, whiles he dressed me. He didn't try to make a move on me. He respected my body and he respected me.