An Old Friend

I woke up to aroma of eggs and pancakes. I was beyond happy that I didn't have to get up early for practice or punishment with coach. I also thought about the conversation Chelsea and I had in the parking lot yesterday. Being 18, I was the legal age to work in a strip club, I just couldn't drink. It then dawned on me that my room wasn't locked or left the way I left it.

Kicking off my covers I bent down grabbing my piggy bank. It was easy to open and close which is why I needed to invest in a real saving s account. I sat on the floor and started counting every penny and dime. Last I recall, I had around $3,256, however today I had only $3,200 so I recounted and ended up with same amount, which meant that $56 dollars was missing.

Putting the money back, i got up storming to the kitchen and my mother greeted me with her fake ass smile. "Who been in my room?" I asked looking at everyone. "Not me, you locked it remember" maddi said and I believed her. "Not me" Jamison said putting his hands up in surrender. "What you rambling on about now Jessica ?" My mother spoke up sounding annoyed. "Somebody been in my room and stole $56 dollars out of my piggy bank" . "Now who in God's green earth would go in your room and steal your money girl !" She raised her voice slamming down the spatula.

"SOMEBODY BEEN IN MY ROOM AND STOLE MY MONEY AND I BET IT WAS YOUR LYING ASS BOYFRIEND" I yelled and she same across the table snatching me by the neck of my shirt. I pushed her off and she tried to slap me but I stopped her.

"You trying to fight me little girl ?" She yelled yanking her hand out of my grip. Why do black parents always think if you stop them from hitting you its 'fighting them back'.

Steve sat in the chair flicking through the channels, I knew he heard the commotion and that I was accusing him of stealing my money. "I want my damn money back or Im calling the police !" I threatened and he didn't budge.

"Better yet let me call them now" I went for my cell phone and heard my mothers foot steps behind me. "You are a sneaky, lying wretch Jessica ! I wish Your father had kept you ! You always try to ruin my relationships, you never want to see me happy.

First you come onto Steve and now you accuse him of stealing from you. Where did I go wrong in raising you ?".

Those words felt like a knife being sent through my heart. Sneaky ? A liar ? A wretch ? Wow. Today showed me how deep my mother was under this man's spell. "I want nothing to do with you, I hope you rot in hell !" I screamed slamming my door locking it in her face. I grabbed my duffle bag and packed my shit up.

"Chelsea, I cant take this shit anymore, can you please come and get me, I'll explain everything later". She said she was on the way and I continued packing my clothes. There was a slight knock on the door and I could hear Maddi crying begging me to stay, but I couldn't. I placed my earplugs in to drown her out.

-15 minutes later-

Chelsea texted that she was outside and I asked her to come to the stairs so I can pass my things to her. Opening my room door Maddi sat at the table doing her home work but she immediately got up and ran to me begging me to stay. I asked her to help me move my things and she sadly helped. It broke my heart seeing her like this but this household was beginning to become too toxic.

"I just need to stay with you for the next 3 days okay, its Sunday and Chloe moves into her apartment on Wednesday". I told her. "Girl quit it, my parents love you, and I been wanting you to move in with us". Chelsea said making me feel so much better. "Well after we unpack you wanna go for breakfast?", she asked. I nodded dramatically cause I was starving. I didnt even trust eating from my mother anymore, her crazy ass may Poison me.

Pulling up to her house I walked in greeting her brother and dad who were on their way out. "My moms at work so you'll see her later". "Okay thats fine". We unpacked and I settled in pretty quickly seeing that I stayed here a lot and knew where everything was.

-Phone ringing-

                                                            Jessica
                                                          Hello?
Chloe
Girl, Mom just called me
with some half ass bullshit story.
Something about you trying to
get with Steve and accusing him
of stealing your money. Girl I
hung that phone right up on
her ass. Does she even realize
how dumb she sounds ?

                                                    Jessica   
                        Girl Chloe listen, Im staying
                         at Chelsea's until you move
                        into your crib okay, can I
                          still come ? 🙄

Chloe
Of course ! I was hoping
you changed your mind.
Anyway we'll talk later
Im heading out on a date.
Love ya💕
                                                  Jessica
                                    Okay talk to you later.
Love you too🥰

                                           ****

After our phone call I went and took a shower to freshen up then we headed to Aunt Jemma's for breakfast. I ordered a coffee and pancakes with sausages and eggs.

I swear Aunt Jemma's sold the best breakfast in town. We sat down eating and I heard a high pitched voice scream my name. Looking back, I felt like Will Smith from men in black when he held out his pen and placed his sun glasses on and stung me erasing my memory. I was frozen by the image in front of me. Everything started moving in slow motion. As she approached me with arms wide open I broke down like a baby in tears.

"Anna ?!? Oh My God is it really you ?!?" I asked in complete and utter shock. She started crying, nodding and embracing me. My child hood best friend who almost lost her life and mobility stood in front of me standing up on both legs.

She walked with a slight limp but my God she was standing on both feet without a wheelchair. "Eh hem" Chelsea said interrupting us. "Hi Im Anna" she said holding her hand out for a handshake. "I dont do handshakes, im a hugger" Chelsea got up and hugged her.

"Im Chelsea, Jess's best friend". "I cant believe it, Anna I thought I would never see you again", i pulled her into our booth.

"I know, me either, my mom took my brother and I to the Cayman Islands, there we met with some of the best doctors in the world to help me walk again. It wasnt easy, it took me 6 years to even make a full step on my own without a cane, but I got better with time, I still have a slight limp but I can walk again", I just smiled listening to her story as she explained everything.

I was beyond inspired and moved by her courage.

"You know what helped as well?" She asked.

"No, what?"

"Basketball, I fell in love with it!"

"No way ! I'm captain of the basketball team for Chicago High" we both squealed in excitement.

"Wait, Chicago High?" She asked as her eye widened and I nodded.

"No way ! Im starting there tomorrow on Monday" we both cheered making a scene, not intentionally but because we were so excited. I got two of my best friends together and they gelled well and I was finally moving out of that toxic household, I felt like I was on cloud nine and nothing could ruin us in this moment. However, dooms day was drawing near.